Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
leatherneck

Drives: yellow/bl. hood stripes-ss/rs
ANYONE PLANNING ON ADDING EXTERIOR LIGHTING??

OK. stop laughing a second and hear me out!!!!! I live in a small hick town in ohio and one of the rages here is exterior lighting! Ive looked into several things like, of course. under glow neon where the sticks arent visible. Side turn signal street flashing in the direction youre turning --also in the front. A third brake light or flash brake loght that shows on the street----including a reverse white light shinning on the strret when backing up. Of course theres always wheel lighting --door knob etc etc. I was thinking of deploying 1 or 2 of these. I feel unlike the hicks here that it cheapins the look of the car--anyone have any thoughts -or do you just want to shoot me now??
leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
Plez don't go ghetto on your Camaro
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you're going to apply underglow, make sure that the tubes aren't at all visible and that all of them work at the same time. Some people will be disgusted by underglow, but the trick is appreciating your own ride. Don't worry about them approving of your car. Just do it right.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
no neons ever that just rice.

i for one will be investing in smoked out side lights to replace the 2 red and 2 amber side lenses. this will give it a cleaner look imo. on a black car or CGM its a must. ill also probly change the stock fog light bulbs with 4300k hids(or w/e temp is stock on the rs model). other than those 2 small lighting mods ill leave everthing stock cause the camaro just isnt the type of car u want to make look ricy
Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I absolutely love undercar neons personally. I don't understand the hate on them. As stated, you shouldn't be able to see the light tube at all. But aside from that, a hot car driving up "floating" on a cushion of light looks fantastic.

I may opt to finally use those purple under-car neons I have in my garage...

Don't let others dictate what you do to your car. It's yours, not theirs.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I absolutely love undercar neons personally. I don't understand the hate on them. As stated, you shouldn't be able to see the light tube at all. But aside from that, a hot car driving up "floating" on a cushion of light looks fantastic.

I may opt to finally use those purple under-car neons I have in my garage...

Don't let others dictate what you do to your car. It's yours, not theirs.
everyone knows it's not floating ,everyone i know rolls their eyes and laughs when they see it.its about as ghetto as old english 800.it wasnt even cool in 1988 .
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
personally id put neon only in my trunk i my footwells, and well only inside the car. AND ONLY GOOOOOLD

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
OK. stop laughing a second and hear me out!!!!! I live in a small hick town in ohio and one of the rages here is exterior lighting! Ive looked into several things like, of course. under glow neon where the sticks arent visible. Side turn signal street flashing in the direction youre turning --also in the front. A third brake light or flash brake loght that shows on the street----including a reverse white light shinning on the strret when backing up. Of course theres always wheel lighting --door knob etc etc. I was thinking of deploying 1 or 2 of these. I feel unlike the hicks here that it cheapins the look of the car--anyone have any thoughts -or do you just want to shoot me now??
If you feel like it cheapens the look of the car then don't do any of it.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
If you feel like it cheapens the look of the car then don't do any of it.

Its your car, and YOUR preference should be the only preference that matters.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=underglow
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=underglow

Here are two others on our website that are planning on some type of under glow work, and yes they both received some of the stupid responses like this one has and will receive. But I do believe if you combine these three threads then you might actually have a decent thread going that might actually tell you more than: OMG your gonna put lights under your car thats just rice, or under glow = Rice, or ghetto, or I'm gonna tell you not to put lights on your camaro because its your camaro but i have the choice to tell you no because under glow is rice. Yeah, they all got the same answers. I hope someday somebody on this site with experience with under glow will help you out with your decision. I have no experience with under glow, but i would love to help you out if I could. You say it's popular in your town, I guess I would recommend talking to some of them.

And always remember, it's your car, not theirs.

On a side not, I have no opinion on under glow. Some cars it looks good, and some cars it looks stupid. On the other hand I do have an opinion on cheap ass work. No, I don't think under glow will cheapen the look of your car if you do a good job of it. As a few others on this thread and the other threads have said to make sure you cannot see the light tubes under the car!!! Your work will only cheapen the car if you do a half assed job. If you do class A work, you will be recognized, if you FAIL at life, then even I will bust you down for it. Good luck with YOUR camaro.

Apparently some people on this website have not forgotten the fact that GM wants, scratch that, NEEDS TO SELL CARS! If you continually keep telling people that shit is for ricers then they will go out and buy a ricer i.e. honda, toyota, scion, ... OUR F***ING COMPETITION!!! When the camaro Black edition was unveiled half of you said that it looked ricey, and the other half said it looked AWESOME!! Did any of you think that maybe for a second that GM was trying to target that market. There is a SH!T TON of money to be made in that market, AND WE ARE NOT IN IT! GM needs to sell cars and quite frankly, they will take a sale to anybody right now. So chill on the guy!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I think you should do what you think looks good, but IMO neon lighting = rice.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
:bangdesk: Any body got any aspirin, I'm gonna need it.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
I think you should do what you think looks good, but IMO neon lighting = rice.
I remember lots of IROCs and Mustang GTs with neon BITD. A few musclecars in the neighborhood also had it , my friends 72 Chevelle. I think its just an old look that ricers have made more popular.

Put a Knight Rider light in the mail slot on the SS.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I don't dislike it. The stigma for me stems from it's almost exclusive association with lowriders and ricers. For that reason I won't be adding any type of lighting.