Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #113
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakemaker89 View Post
I'm with gunny on this! I don't get the hate for V6's that thing is a great engine. If you just have to have more power there are v6's that are pushing out tons of horsepower with turbos and superchargers!

I think sometimes people forget that there is always something bigger better and fast out there. Enjoy your kick @$$ Camaro whether it's a 6 or an 8 and don't forget to show love your Camaro family!
Waaaaaaayyyyyy too much focus on 6 or 8. Here's a litte story for you all.

Many years ago racing was done on dirt ovals. My grandfather was one of those guys. He ran big 8's on a dirt oval for many years. ne day he took to looking at a 6 with higher compression and a much lighter block than the big 8's. He installed on in his race car and proceeded to kick the you know what out of the 8's on the track.

There are two parts to this story. First, there are benefits to both engines. Just because there are more cylinders does not make it faster. It just makes it have to work harder to push the extra weight.

Second, he was a MUCH better driver and was regularly able to crunch the competition. It's just that he did it as the first one to run a 6 at his local track. He's over 90 now and could still put most out there down easily, though he does not race anymore.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #114
blabus

Drives: 2012 1SS
I'm actually surprised at how often all of you are asked about your car at all- I got my 2012 SS a few weeks ago, and truthfully I was expecting to get a lot more stares and questions than I do (it's a striking piece of design, and it's even yellow for god's sake)- and yet it seems like nobody takes notice at all- I kinda assumed it was simply because the 5th gen body style has been out long enough now that everyone's used to it (I actually got more lookers with my '94 yellow Vette that I just traded for the Camaro, though as cool as the Vette was, I still like the design of the Camaro infinitely more).

Then again, it could just be that I live in Sarasota, FL (right between Tampa and Naples), so every other person on the road is driving a Mercedes, BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Lambo...

But as for the people who do ask about it (mostly co-workers), the number one question I get is if it's a manual or automatic (interestingly that was the same question I always got about the Vette too).
blabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #115
SATXLS3

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 View Post
At first I was looking forward to people saying NICE CAR or something... But now it gets kind of annoying when strange people come up to me and talk to me about my car. Especially when the first thing they ask is "v6 or v8"? Now that's really annoying. Some people who only care if it's a v8 are so closed minded and generally have no clue what the difference is or how much power a v6 can actually put out. Or they start rambling off about their life stories or something... I just wanted to ask you guys abut your personal experiences that bug you. Today two different people tried talking to me at a gas station. I really do like when people check out my car or give me thumbs up or just say "nice car" but if all they have to say is "is it the 6 or the 8" and shake their heads and walk away when I say "6", then they need to just keep their mouths shut.

So basically... What are your personal experiences? I know many of you have good experiences too. Mine have mostly been bad though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you had a V8 would you still feel this way? I don't think so.

If you don't like the attention, you are driving the wrong car. Answering a lot of questions is the the price you pay to drive a bad azz car
SATXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #116
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
lol if someone at a gas station comes up and asks me if its a 6 or 8 .. and they shake their head when i tell em its a 6.. i'd ask what their piece of sh*t is
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #117
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
do people really shake there heads and walk away lol?
lmao If I ever got that id make them feel like shit. Most people have asked me that question drive POS cars.
Most car guys give the v6 alot of respect. I always say "its just a v6" but theyll automatically counter it with "but it makes 300hp" and that puts a smile on my face.
Its really closer to 330-340 now which is aweome.
I honestly dont need anymore power, I just want the V8 for its sound!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #118
vthokiefan
Stealthy SS

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS w Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
My head duck of shame is "is it stick or automatic". Shoulda got the stick. V8 auto is still pretty FUN though.

gotta love the flappy paddle gearboxes

i just hate the DoD/AFM on the auto... can't wait to get rid of that
3M Clear Bra, GM Strong MAF, Borla S-Type Axle-back, RX Catch Can, Pedders: Xa Coilovers, Sub-Frame / Radius Rod Inserts, BMR: Front & Rear sway bars / End links & RLCA plates, Defenderworx black bowties
vthokiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #119
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokiefan View Post

gotta love the flappy paddle gearboxes

i just hate the DoD/AFM on the auto... can't wait to get rid of that
This crappy auto is not a flappy paddle gearbox, those actually perform admirably without a tune.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #120
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
This crappy auto is not a flappy paddle gearbox, those actually perform admirably without a tune.
haters gonna hate?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #121
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyealiz View Post
Skip the "carbon flash metallic" and just tell them Dark Gray. Problem solved.
Haha for my campus temporary permit in the "color" slot I started to write "Carbon Flash Meta...". I stopped myself and put "black". I know a campus employee won't know what the heck Carbon Flash Metallic is!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #122
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
when they say 6 or 8 i say v12
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #123
JPDeMircift

Drives: 2011 Summit White 1LT RS
The only question that irritates me is "Is it a RS of SS?" I always respond with "It's a LT" and walk away.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #124
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've been asked what model? I replied SS. Then they ask v6 or v8.
Most people I don't mind questions from. Some of my coworkers annoy me, but it's just in their nature. Not car question specific.
I do like the attention I get from people passing by, thumbs up or them breaking their neck to check it out.
Camaros are badass!!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote