Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCVette View Post
Please, Chevy: YES, SHRINK IT - Go one smaller than the Mustang, even! One of the Mustang's problems is its size & weight - these pony cars need to get back to their roots size-wise, go on diets, & get the word "nimble" added into the handling descriptors!
Um, when the hell was a pony car 'nimble'? The original Camaro (probably the lightest?) weighed in at 3145lbs. The new Camaro will probably weigh in around 3700lbs but it will have way more power and grip.

What would you gain by having such a small light car with a LS engine in it? Weird balance, that's what.

I want the Camaro to be light (like the rest of us!) but I DON'T want it to be small (I am tall afterall!)

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The Camaro shouldn't be small...the mustang's problems were, indeed, wieght...but also(and a big part too) crappy, over-rated engines. There is no competition, so as long as Ford made it look good, that's all they needed for people to buy it. The Mustangs are a joke.

3700 lbs. is good by me. The Vette is in at just over 3000, so add two more seats and I think 700 lbs is a fair difference. And the 2002 Camaro's came in at 3500, and still were friggin' awesome - right TAG, Moose? An 80 to 100 hp difference EASILY makes up for that!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I don't want it to be too tall. And, I don't think it will be. Kenz said when at the Buger place where they showed the concept, the designers were talking about possibly lowering the seats...or not making the seat bottom as thick. That would lower the driver a little. I think they probably already made their mind up on that one....seeing as though we've heard the roof is only to be raised 14mm. I'm tall too...so I don't want to have my head hitting the ceiling.

Next...I don't want the Camaro to shrink either. I like it's size the way it is. Who wouldn't want the extra interior room? I like a wider interior. I like the extra elbow room. The wider the car is, and with the IRS, it should be able to handle cornering better.

Yes. I want it to go on a diet. But we are also talking the LS3 engine. It WILL move that Camaro quite fast. And...if I recall correctly, the specs of the Camaro are almost the exact same as that of the Mustang. I have it in an article somewhere...think it was the Hot Rod or Motor Trend issue.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And the 2002 Camaro's came in at 3500, and still were friggin' awesome - right TAG, Moose? An 80 to 100 hp difference EASILY makes up for that!
This is the wierd part. The Z28 GVWR was 3,400lbs and my SS (both 02 models) was at 3,250. I don't know how the heck that happened, but that's what I read when I ran my plates. I WILL check on it tomorrow and report back. I honestly thought my SS would have been heavier than my Z28 since there is more metal in the hood and more on the spoiler. Guess not???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote