Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
SMOG/Registration/Military?

I know that because I am in the military that I am able to register my vehicle in any state without being a resident of that state. My question pertains mainly to california laws... If my car is titled in Cali but is licensed and registered in Nevada (nevada does not require state title in order to register there) do I still have to pass Cali smog tests because it is titled here?
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
I know that because I am in the military that I am able to register my vehicle in any state without being a resident of that state. My question pertains mainly to california laws... If my car is titled in Cali but is licensed and registered in Nevada (nevada does not require state title in order to register there) do I still have to pass Cali smog tests because it is titled here?
If you have to drive into Camp Pendleton(or any other military base in Cali) then you must have proof that your vehicle passes smog, or you wouldn't be able to receive base stickers.

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
If you have to drive into Camp Pendleton(or any other military base in Cali) then you must have proof that your vehicle passes smog, or you wouldn't be able to receive base stickers.
You probably have more current info than I do, but I lived on base in CA and never had to smog because mine were registered out of state.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You probably have more current info than I do, but I lived on base in CA and never had to smog because mine were registered out of state.
This^^

I know a couple guys who just kept it registered out of state.

But I would look into it more.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
This^^

I know a couple guys who just kept it registered out of state.

But I would look into it more.
People from out of state drive on base all the time. No way they can check smog since it's not even a sticker.

Smog tests also connects directly to the state registration computers and if you're out of state your car won't even show up. Title means nothing. Registration does.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Cmlloveless

I do know that they now require SMOG to register on Camp Pendleton no matter where it is registered (Naval bases no longer require decals). I don't ever drive my Camaro to work though (commute is too far). I just don't want to have to do the Cali SMOG every other year starting next year (I won't even come close to passing). My only other option I guess is to register it for off road use only, but then I can't take it cruising up through the mountains or with other group get togethers.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Cmlloveless

Quote:
Smog tests also connects directly to the state registration computers and if you're out of state your car won't even show up. Title means nothing. Registration does.
This is what I needed to know. Because I did buy the Camaro here it is titled and registered here, but I am going to change registration to Nevada (my current legal residency) so that I don't have to pass Cali SMOG.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
I do know that they now require SMOG to register on Camp Pendleton no matter where it is registered (Naval bases no longer require decals). I don't ever drive my Camaro to work though (commute is too far). I just don't want to have to do the Cali SMOG every other year starting next year (I won't even come close to passing). My only other option I guess is to register it for off road use only, but then I can't take it cruising up through the mountains or with other group get togethers.
Most bases don't use stickers anymore so wouldn't have a way to check smog. If Marines still do stickers then they could ask for it at that point. I was just in San Diego and stayed at the Navy Lodge last month and no sticker or pass was required. AF doesn't require it either.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
TripleBlkZL1

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10 & 18 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
I wonder why? My 2010 SS and ZL1 were both registered out of state and they wouldn't give me base decals till I got proof of passing smog. The lady was probably on her period every time I went in lol

2018 2500HD Duramax
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I wonder why? My 2010 SS and ZL1 were both registered out of state and they wouldn't give me base decals till I got proof of passing smog. The lady was probably on her period every time I went in lol
I think the key here is base decals... and yes sometimes they actually looked at insurance papers and such and some didn't. I guess Marines are the only ones still using stickers anymore.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I think the key here is base decals... and yes sometimes they actually looked at insurance papers and such and some didn't. I guess Marines are the only ones still using decals anymore.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Camaros & Coffee Norcal

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS & 2015 Camaro SS
I am active duty Navy. My Camaro was bought in San Diego, but registered in Florida. no smog here, and they did away with decals. Plus with smog we are good for 6 years and only have to do visuals after that
Camaros & Coffee Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Where you are not getting base stickers there is no reason for you to get a smog check. You shouldn't be hassled by CHP for mods either.

The only issue I had when I had VA plates on my car was when I was parked on the street outside my condo when I lived in SD. I was cited for not having CA registration and being in the state for more than 30 days. All I had to do was write a letter stating I was on AD and provide a photo copy of my military ID and it was dismissed.

Where you are up here, IF you ever needed a smog check, my buddy has a shop in Temecula and knows about the stupid military smog check requirement and will get you a cert if you need it.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
If it's registered out of state no smog required in CA.
I'm a smog tech, the only way someone gets a smog notification is when they are updating their registration biennially or when buying the car to register it in CA.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote