Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Crunchy Clutch

On the way home from the G17 Fbody Gathering in ATL this weekend, I made a couple 6th-3rd downshifts at 65 mph. After the 3rd time, I noticed a grinding sensation when I depressed the clutch nearly to the floor. I can still row through the gears just fine, but I can't help but notice this suttle grinding that I can feel through my foot when I depress the clutch when I'm coasting to a stop sign or red light or even sitting at idle. There are no unusual noises that I can hear either. When the car is off, it feels totally smooth.

Worth mentioning might be the fact that my dealer noticed that something "fell out from under my car" when I had them replacing an axle that I broke while at the track 4-5 weeks ago. It looked like a little sliver of soft metal not much bigger than a twist tie. They told me that they thought it was a clutch sliver, but it felt fine and had no issues until yesterday.

Mods are in my sig. Any insight would be appreciated!
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Rabamaro

No one?
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Rabamaro

Update:

Took it to lethal last weekend. My slave and throwout bearing were completely destroyed! I'm going to go ahead and get them to install a ZR1 clutch, MGW shifter and port my intake manifold.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Do a search on ZR1 clutch reviews. There are a bunch of unhappy people out there.
Just my $.02
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Rabamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Do a search on ZR1 clutch reviews. There are a bunch of unhappy people out there.
Just my $.02
I picked it up used from a guy on here for $600 with only a couple thousand miles on it and no passes at the strip. His slave failed, so he bought a new clutch thinking that was the root of the problem. When he found out it was the slave, he just kept the new one and sold the used one. I just sank a ton of money into a house and didnt have the extra coin for a street slayer.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
I picked it up used from a guy on here for $600 with only a couple thousand miles on it and no passes at the strip. His slave failed, so he bought a new clutch thinking that was the root of the problem. When he found out it was the slave, he just kept the new one and sold the used one. I just sank a ton of money into a house and didnt have the extra coin for a street slayer.
Please do some research,you don't wont to be the next one with a bad slave and the repair bill...It is ALOT cheaper to do it right the first time,you will save the most money if you get a Street Slayer .If I can help you out let me know,please do your homework it will save you a lot of time and money.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
I had the ZR1 clutch and loved it... Also had lingenfelter billet steel flywheel and new slave cylinder... Also install ideal garage master cylinder... Clutch felt just like stock... No complaints here... My SS made 628rwhp 553 rwtq...
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Rabamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
I had the ZR1 clutch and loved it... Also had lingenfelter billet steel flywheel and new slave cylinder... Also install ideal garage master cylinder... Clutch felt just like stock... No complaints here... My SS made 628rwhp 553 rwtq...
Exactly what I got minus the idealG. The guy I bought clutch from also included the LPE return spring.

And I realize going with the street slayer may save me in the long run, but it was all about going with what I had available here and now. I'm at 500 whp now and take it to the strip 3-5 times a year. If I can get a year and a half to 2 yrs out of it, I'll be happy.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Quote:
Exactly what I got minus the idealG. The guy I bought clutch from also included the LPE return spring.

And I realize going with the street slayer may save me in the long run, but it was all about going with what I had available here and now. I'm at 500 whp now and take it to the strip 3-5 times a year. If I can get a year and a half to 2 yrs out of it, I'll be happy.
I would run away from any clutch that needed a return spring,i think that says a lot.I understand your reasoning and hope I can help you when the time comes.,
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
I believe the fault lies with the upgraded zr1 clutch. I don't think many reported issues with the ls9x clutch but quite a few with the ls9r clutch. I went through 3 slave cylinders with my ls9r clutch. $200+ per slave and 300+ each time you drop the tranny all because of a clutch that cost 1600 bucks. I basically paid for the SS triple by going that route. But now I have the Street Slayer triple and have no regrets and I've been on the same slave cylinder for 10,000 miles, my clutch pedal is easy because I don't have an "upgraded" return spring on it, and it doesn't grind gears shifting fast.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
but to your original post is sounds like floater damage or loose or missing spring. On previous cars that is the only thing that has given me that sensation. But only way to know is to take it down.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Rabamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
I believe the fault lies with the upgraded zr1 clutch. I don't think many reported issues with the ls9x clutch but quite a few with the ls9r clutch. I went through 3 slave cylinders with my ls9r clutch. $200+ per slave and 300+ each time you drop the tranny all because of a clutch that cost 1600 bucks. I basically paid for the SS triple by going that route. But now I have the Street Slayer triple and have no regrets and I've been on the same slave cylinder for 10,000 miles, my clutch pedal is easy because I don't have an "upgraded" return spring on it, and it doesn't grind gears shifting fast.
What's the difference btwn the LS9x vs LS9r?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
Rabamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
but to your original post is sounds like floater damage or loose or missing spring. On previous cars that is the only thing that has given me that sensation. But only way to know is to take it down.
Shawn at Lethal sent me the pic of my slave. It had completely come apart.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Mine did the same thing about 3 weeks ago, only mine gave me no warning. 1st to 2nd fine, 2nd to 3rd clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed. Slave and throw out bearing destroyed. My street slayer shipped yesterday. :-) I can't wait to drive my car again!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote