Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
My first track day with the 1LE

I had my first track day with my 1LE yesterday and it was a blast. The first 20 min session was spent getting used to the car and the track as it has been over 6 years since the last time out. I got an instructor to ride along during the second session to get some feedback on the lines and how I was doing. He suggested riding along in his car during the instructors session and that was an eye opener. The only video I was able to get was during the warmup lap on the third session so not my best effort, lap time was 1:41.92. Data from the last session had my peak speed at 122.5 mph and my best lap a 1:36.32 so I made a lot of progress. Absolutely so issues with the car, the CTSV brakes with brake duct cooling gave fade free braking throughout the 20 min sessions. The tires looked ok but I also did not overly abuse them. The need for harness's is very apparent so that will be my next mod. I also have to spend some time with Harry's lap timer so I can get the video issues figured out.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Nice man, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Cool
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
EarlyApex

Thanks you guys.

Here is a shot of a front tire. I was running 35-36 psi hot, not sure if that is a good pressure for the GY or not.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Those tires are now a trophy Drop the PSI a few. Notice that little arrow on the sidewall, you want the ware/tire fold to be right around the point of the arrow.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Those tires are now a trophy Drop the PSI a few. Notice that little arrow on the sidewall, you want the ware/tire fold to be right around the point of the arrow.
What pressure do you run? I can't get mine to the arrows and I'm running 32-33 hot.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

I have to get to this track.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Those tires look great I'm jealous. Here is my front all beat up after only 5 autox events. Notice the grooves are disappearing Lol
Name:  20140506_154242.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  134.2 KB
Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I ran 2 track days @ 38 PSI, day 1 OEM camber, day 2, 2 degrees camber front, zero toe. The outside edges on all my tires got near the markers, but are junk because they did not use the whole tire patch, once it gets over on that outside edge I think the majority of the weight is on that 2 inch outer edge, over heats and grinds it off getting worse by the lap. The center of the tires shows much less signs of wear. I even went up on the front sway bar trying to get less lean.

I'm going up to 40 tomorrow on a new set, back to BMR full soft front, full hard rear and will see what happens. I'd rather wear the entire width of the tire if possible and know it is a combination of geometry and PSI. I wish my tires looked like the OP.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Those tires look great I'm jealous. Here is my front all beat up after only 5 autox events. Notice the grooves are disappearing Lol
Attachment 634030
Your tire looks good, what's your alignment specs?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
What pressure do you run? I can't get mine to the arrows and I'm running 32-33 hot.
I start off with 32, i don't know why as the pressure always goes up. I will start my next event at 29 and go from there. You're right where you need to be, i would probably only drop 1 PSI though and see how that works for you.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #12
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Attachment 634030
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
I ran 2 track days @ 38 PSI, day 1 OEM camber, day 2, 2 degrees camber front, zero toe. The outside edges on all my tires got near the markers, but are junk because they did not use the whole tire patch, once it gets over on that outside edge I think the majority of the weight is on that 2 inch outer edge, over heats and grinds it off getting worse by the lap. The center of the tires shows much less signs of wear. I even went up on the front sway bar trying to get less lean.

I'm going up to 40 tomorrow on a new set, back to BMR full soft front, full hard rear and will see what happens. I'd rather wear the entire width of the tire if possible and know it is a combination of geometry and PSI. I wish my tires looked like the OP.
Go with your sway setting but drop your pressures to 32, hot. I've been getting even temps across the tire and good lap times at that pressure.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #13
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I start off with 32, i don't know why as the pressure always goes up. I will start my next event at 29 and go from there. You're right where you need to be, i would probably only drop 1 PSI though and see how that works for you.
You start with 32 cold or hot? I set mine at 26 cold the night before. It takes a few laps to build the pressure, but I'll always come off track around 32-33.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
EarlyApex

I set mine at 28 cold and ended up at 36 hot. The last session I did get close to the arrow as I was working harder in the corners. I tried to stay up to but not over the slip point as sliding isn't necessary faster. I am running the Pedders aggressive street alignment (1.8 deg neg front and 1 deg neg rear camber) and have the BMR 32mm rear sway bar on the middle setting. That still gave me a slight amount of push near the limit. I might try the firmer setting on the rear bar next time to see how that works. I always have been easy on tires and hard on brakes. A little easier on the wallet replacing brake pads than tires.

Really, for me to go much faster I need to be held in the seat better. In some of the turns I was holding so tight to the steering wheel it was hard to make subtle adjustments. The car can do 1g in the turns all day long but in several I was at .8g and just hanging on. At this point I have no plans on changing the seats so a harness bar and 6 point harness is needed ASAP.