Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #15
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
I wanted something aggressive, raw and very quick - and the Camaro fits that bill perfectly.
And it does these things so well. I love this car!
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
Is your ZL1 and your brother in law's C7 grand sport both stock? Have you both ever raced each other for giggles? If so how did the two cars do against each other?
Yes, both vehicles mechanically are stock. My car was already in winter storage when he picked it up, so no, we haven’t raced. But I did drive his car briefly and although quick, it felt more refined and muted than the rawness of the ZL1. I didn’t fully get on it mind you and I suspect despite less HP, it’s quicker 0-60 in part due to weight. My butt dyno just didn’t feel it the same as in the ZL1. Here is a pic of his beauty - very sexy machine and I love the Kalahari leather.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #17
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
Yes, both vehicles mechanically are stock. My car was already in winter storage when he picked it up, so no, we haven’t raced. But I did drive his car briefly and although quick, it felt more refined and muted than the rawness of the ZL1. I didn’t fully get on it mind you and I suspect despite less HP, it’s quicker 0-60 in part due to weight. My butt dyno just didn’t feel it the same as in the ZL1. Here is a pic of his beauty - very sexy machine and I love the Kalahari leather.

Beautiful car and your ZL1 looks very nice too. You both look like you take good care of your cars. I do prefer the ZL1 for it’s raw looks and better daily drivability. Just curious what makes the ZL1 feel more raw compared to the vette? Is it the look, sounds, and driving experience of the ZL1 versus the vette?
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
You gotta mod the GS... Between my cammed camaro and my cammed C6Z.... C6Z all the way. However, with my camaro now, and the fact that it’s boosted I like my camaro slightly more.

Dig the gray
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:42 AM   #19
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
As owner of both a 2010 Camaro SS an a 2017 C7 GS coupe, while the SS don’t have the power of the ZL1 mine is still pretty quick and it’s a stick so it’s drivers car my GS is a A8 coupe. I’ve tracked both cars at NCM in Apr of 2019.
Camaro again a drivers car due it being a stick.
Takes a little effort to drive you really have to stay on your toes.
A little stiff due to sways an lowering springs.
Not as quick due to weight.
Standard suspension.
The Corvette is a racers car with all the computers.
Easy to drive just point an go basically.
Stiff when it needs to be.
Has the Magnetic suspension like the ZL1, I’m sure a little refined due to it being newer.
I love both cars an I can’t pick a favorite because both cars bring so much to the table in performance.
Once I do do my heads an cam swap and get wheels and proper tires the Camaro will as quick or quicker than the Vette.
All in all love both cars an will try to keep as long as possible.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #20
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My Rides

Ignore the caption my was being funny when she posted it to Facebook.
Attached Images

1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #21
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C-ZL1 View Post
I agree with everything said previously. My ZL1 is my first Camaro and I am thrilled with it. It brings back the muscle car feel from the old days. I'm hoping to get my hands on a 5th Gen Z28 in the next year or so.
I have owned Corvettes for the last forty years, most -6-- were 427/435hp cars and they were a blast to drive, but also a lot of work to own and maintain. I had to buy my gas at a local airport to get the octane I needed. I still have a 1969 L89 I bought in 1979.
I think the thing that drove me away from Corvettes was the change in the people who were owning them. Forty years ago, it was folks who spun a wrench on them and were regular people. Now it's mostly people who are "look at me in my Corvette" types, trying to out do the next guy. I don't mix well with those folks.
Just my opinion, but I like the old school brutishness of the ZL1.

"I think the thing that drove me away from Corvettes was the change in the people who were owning them. Forty years ago, it was folks who spun a wrench on them and were regular people. Now it's mostly people who are "look at me in my Corvette".

This is exactly the behavior I encounter here in Europe.
If this happened once, you would say O.K. a conceited person who thinks he has something more.But when you meet 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... the owner of a Corvette like this and he behaves the same way. Then it will completely discourage you.

I call it Corvette syndrome :-)
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I wouldn't worry, as its your opinion and you are entitled to express it. I like hearing about experiences with other people's cars, regardless of whether I like it or not. I am not a vette person, but I do like the corvette in terms of its appeal and performance. You would be surprised in hearing some of the harsh criticism that some hold for Corvette. Again, its their opinion (which means nothing to me) and so be it.

What I am afraid of is losing such outstanding cars such as Camaro and Corvette due to the growing trend of producing electric cars.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #23
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
Brian

Appreciate the comparisons.

Here’s my short version:

Trade in my Crotch-Rocket for a Cruiser.

Don’t mind “rocket” mode @ 185mph+ 2 x/ year..

But, nothing like a cruiser @ 70 and taking in the view......

Still love my 17’ ZL1
🤛🏿🤛🏿
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #24
u00bgg2

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2017 GTI, 2015 KTM 1290R
So a little follow up as I never expected this perspective to be a point of genuine conversation.

My wife disliked the Camaro for two reasons, one she could not get over the short windows and the overall lack of visibility. I live where there are not many straight roads so she would get car sick pretty frequently unless we were on the highway.

The Corvette does have a much better field of view and I have the optional glass roof that makes the cabin feel even more "open".

The second reason is one that was hinted around about, and in short she is snobby in this area. It is a camaro, which has all sorts of Joe Dirt type connotations. Me I wear this with a little bit of honor, she on the other hand just does not like this. I also forgot to mention my wife is British and by default has some pre disposed connotations.

The irony of all of this is that way back when we decided to look at something of a sunday driver we initially looked at corvettes. The issue is I am pretty tall and I dont fit. That lead me to the Camaro as she hated a challenger and neither of us would go down the mustang route.

What I did not know at the time is when the optional clear roof is installed you gain about 2-3 inch of head room. I found this out when I was early for a business meeting and was messing around at a dealership killing time.

The conversation that was created by the thread is what I was really speaking about, genuine people have genuine conversation.

If I do end up with the vette for a while I will be installing headers, and an Xpipe as I need a little something.

Will keep you posted.
u00bgg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #25
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Hell I would just trade her off then! LOL! Just kidding. Keep the camaro and the vette to then you will have the best of both worlds. Also a happy wife!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #26
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by u00bgg2 View Post
So a little follow up as I never expected this perspective to be a point of genuine conversation.
And while we are on the subject of genuine conversation, I have a few confessions to make:

I kind of, sort of like the way C6 Corvette looks.

I love the way C7 Z06 and especially the C7 ZR1 looks.

I think the RS, SS and LT 5th generation Camaros looks like absolute crap in the front with that 50's square grille, and that they are not aggressive enough for a pony car, never you mind that they do not have enough torque for such a heavy vehicle.

I love the way Z/28, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE look; I could stare at them for hours on end (6th generation less so, but I still find them beautiful).

I would love to own a 2014 Z/28 and hope to acquire one after I sort out the next set of priorities.

I think that the Dodge Hellcat wide body is the most beautiful American car to ever be designed; once I start collecting cars, a manual version will definitely be on the short list for my collection. Please help me decide between "Go Mango" and "Plum crazy Purple"!

Last edited by Annatar; 02-07-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #27
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by u00bgg2 View Post

My wife disliked the Camaro for two reasons, one she could not get over the short windows and the overall lack of visibility. I live where there are not many straight roads so she would get car sick pretty frequently unless we were on the highway.
Lack of visibility is a serious issue, and it gets even worse for the sunroof models like mine where one has to lower the seat as far as it will go so as not to hit the roof with the racing helmet on. I am completely blind on the left and right when I am on the race track and it scares the living daylights out of me as cars just pop out of nowhere. I keep checking my blind spot but I cannot see anything, while all the while I am hitting my head against the roof! Counter-intuitively, the fact that I am tall makes the entire affair even worse.

Mine came with all the windows tinted. We spent almost five hours removing the tinted foils. I was cursing and swearing up and down the entire time at the idiotic moron who decided to tint the windows, one couldn't see didley-squat out of the windows when it was dark out and one had to change lanes!

Then the issue of passengers being sick: can attest to that too. Women hate riding shotgun when taking that thing through the curves. I had several complain that they were going to vomit from nausea, and the irony is that I was taking it as easy as I could through the curves!
Quote:
The second reason is one that was hinted around about, and in short she is snobby in this area.
The British are infamous for their rigid class system that one gets born into and can never break out of, no matter what one does, except by appointment by their monarch, and even then, their monarch has not accorded anyone hereditary peerage in I do not know how many (hundreds of?) years. Even hereditary peerage is a closed-off affair in their society.
Quote:
It is a camaro, which has all sorts of Joe Dirt type connotations.
And this point is precisely how I detect who really knows what about cars and who does not, when I talk to people: a true car enthusiast who wrenches on cars will know, that the 5th and 6th generation ZL1's are high-tech track weapons. It is for those in the know, automotive connoisseurs. Gone are the days of Camaro being a "redneckmobile".

Last edited by Annatar; 02-07-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #28
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The second reason is one that was hinted around about, and in short she is snobby in this area.
The British are infamous for their rigid class system that one gets born into and can never break out of, no matter what one does, except by appointment by their monarch, and even then, their monarch has not accorded anyone hereditary peerage in I do not know how many (hundreds of?) years. Even hereditary peerage is a closed-off affair in their society.

What the hell does this have to do with this conservation? I am totally confused!! I don't mean anything in a cocky way I am just trying to figure this part out?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote