Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
I dont get it
Don't hold your breath , you may turn blue ! Get it now ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #30
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #31
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Hmmm
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #32
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Great sounds Muncie, Indiana $549 with on star retained. Will be in mid November thats how!
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Don't hold your breath , you may turn blue ! Get it now ?
Oh.. dont I feel dumb now LoL
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

What he said
They should made button grey plastic to match rest. Instead of black rubber
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #35
Ludition

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel Tint 1SS
Apline Kit

I have On-star currently but am looking at "deactivating" it by leaving off the On-star module for the Alpine kit.

Is this an option or has "Government Motors" made this module a required item?
Ludition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #36
GQ4Life

Don't know but I still want XM & On-Star
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #37
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
I fail to see why this cost 550 bucks. I'm glad I gave up waiting. There is no way in hell I'm paying that for a dash kit. And please don't tell me it's the r&d that's the biggest pile of horse crap that only car guys seem to fall for.

For 550 bucks I can get a Xbox 360 and have money left over, or a PS3 or an iPad.
All of them with drastically more time and money spent on r&d and higher quality components and far superior technology. Why on gods earth does this cost so much. Alpine isn't some mom and pop shop working in a garage with only the capacity to make 10 of these at a time. Out of all the current head units alpine makes, only two are more expensive and they have 7in screens and nav.

I just don't see it.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #38
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
I have to say that by looking at this...I am not impressed
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #39
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
liquidsmoke - the kit itself is $400. The extra $150 is the Onstar module. Now, $400 IS a lot for a kit...BUT, you have to look at what's involved. You mentioned game consoles...think of how many game consoles get sold. Versus Camaros. Economy of scale factors in BIGTIME. You'll have many times the number of a given game console sold in the U.S. versus Camaros sold worldwide. And of those Camaros, how many will have owners who want to change the radio?
The console also uses a lot of available parts (COTS). This brings the price of the disc drive, memory, etc down even more. And a lot of what they are doing in the console has already been done, which brings design time down. Versus Scosche & Alpine, who have to back-engineer the Camaro's software in the HVAC, seating, etc so that they can duplicate it without disrupting the network. GM doesn't provide them with a car to hook up to, or any support. They have to get a car on their own, and do all the software engineering on their own, testing for stability. The console guys aren't fighting software issues from anything that they can't get direct and willing help with. They have to source similar components for the electronics package, at fractions the quantities that GM sources them at.
And for the OnStar module, again you have software integration, and again GM doesn't offer any assistance. And so on.
So yes, it's a lot of money. And do I relish looking at someone and telling them they are $350 minimum BEFORE we talk labor, or even which radio they want? But versus having Jeremy Carlson or Ian Black fabricate something out back, and retain the electronics, which they'll more than happily do...by the time they make a piece that will mount back to the car correctly; cut holes to hold the radio & hold the electronics, fill any gap and make mounting systems; sand it and shoot it with basic black...you're way over $400. :shrug: whadyagonnado? At least you don't have a Mercedes, for instance, or some Audis, or even a CTS (GM product), where you CAN'T change the radio in some cases or will spend over a thousand in others.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #40
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach@ExtremePerformance View Post
liquidsmoke - the kit itself is $400. The extra $150 is the Onstar module. Now, $400 IS a lot for a kit...BUT, you have to look at what's involved. You mentioned game consoles...think of how many game consoles get sold. Versus Camaros. Economy of scale factors in BIGTIME. You'll have many times the number of a given game console sold in the U.S. versus Camaros sold worldwide. And of those Camaros, how many will have owners who want to change the radio?
The console also uses a lot of available parts (COTS). This brings the price of the disc drive, memory, etc down even more. And a lot of what they are doing in the console has already been done, which brings design time down. Versus Scosche & Alpine, who have to back-engineer the Camaro's software in the HVAC, seating, etc so that they can duplicate it without disrupting the network. GM doesn't provide them with a car to hook up to, or any support. They have to get a car on their own, and do all the software engineering on their own, testing for stability. The console guys aren't fighting software issues from anything that they can't get direct and willing help with. They have to source similar components for the electronics package, at fractions the quantities that GM sources them at.
And for the OnStar module, again you have software integration, and again GM doesn't offer any assistance. And so on.
So yes, it's a lot of money. And do I relish looking at someone and telling them they are $350 minimum BEFORE we talk labor, or even which radio they want? But versus having Jeremy Carlson or Ian Black fabricate something out back, and retain the electronics, which they'll more than happily do...by the time they make a piece that will mount back to the car correctly; cut holes to hold the radio & hold the electronics, fill any gap and make mounting systems; sand it and shoot it with basic black...you're way over $400. :shrug: whadyagonnado? At least you don't have a Mercedes, for instance, or some Audis, or even a CTS (GM product), where you CAN'T change the radio in some cases or will spend over a thousand in others.

I HAVE TO AGREE...NOT TO MENTION THAT XBOX TOOK A LOSS ON ITS UNITS IN HOPES OF MAKING UP GROUND WITH GAME, SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, AND COLLABORATIVE INVESTMENTS.
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #41
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
i understand all that, but seriously there arent that many components in this kit. Im betting the most expensive part is the screen, and those are dirt cheap even if you buy just one. I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 guys tops working on software for this. But this is alpine, this isnt the only product they make. They can take a loss to price this correctly just like MS did with the xbox and try to push people to get alpine head units or build something into the kit that makes you want to pair it with an alpine unit.
They could give these away for free and the loss wont amount to much over all, cuz just like you said, there arent that many people to sell this to. They should be thinking about the big picture, which is selling audio equipment, not raping people for a dashkit.
If the kit was priced decently, i would get one and in turn i have to get a new head unit.
Who is the first company thats gonna come to mind if i buy an alpine dashkit, and knowing they took the time to make one even though it was a huge pain in the ass because GM wont help with anything, and its priced good.

but pricing it at 550 bucks, im not buying that and in turn not buying your headunits either or amps or speakers.

They need to get their heads out of the sand and stop thinking each product is a small business of its own. Take a loss and make it up on the other end to get people into your brand. This is done everywhere.
would i pay 1500 on an alpine head unit, sure i can see the value in that. Give me the dash kit for a decent price and you can sell me on the head unit and other stuff. But pricing a dask kit like this, they have zero chances of getting any of my money.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #42
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
:shrug: you asked, I answered. Actually, Alpine doesn't have many people on this, Scosche is doing the majority of the work. But still, you have a high cost per unit ratio; parts count notwithstanding.
You say "raping", they probably aren't making that much money on the kit; plus head units are not exactly a high margin item either.
And comparing MS to Alpine...ANY radio manufacturer WISHES they did numbers like MS does. It is priced good at $400. Just how much money do you think it's fair that they lose on the kit? Remember, they have to make up what the kit costs on the (hopeful) sale of the radio (which will go for $1200 max; we're not talking F1!), and still have a little left over for profit so that they are around tomorrow.
Also, you don't NEED to replace the radio to add amps and speakers. You can get very good sound retaining the stock radio if you want to.
And it's neither Scosche nor Alpine's fault (nor Kenwood, or JVC, or Sony...) that GM didn't offer nav. And that GM built the car where it's such a pain to change the radio. And Metra does already have a kit available for less than the Scosche/Alpine.
If you really are looking for a system, spend a little time and find a local dealer that you get on well with. They'll work with you to get you the right combination of parts for your specific wants, and keep you priced fair.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote