Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
HDMI input for MyLink screen working! - HD-LINK IW03GF

UPDATE (6/16/15):

Member Arksine has worked with the company rep to make sure this kit works with those of you who have the Navigation version of the MyLink Faceplate. The firmware is verified to work, so just make sure you mention to the rep when ordering that you have the OEM Navigation faceplate model and need the latest firmware. Also, I highly recommend you also purchase the optional input switching button (again, mention to the rep), which will enable you to switch inputs via the button instead of with the MyLink faceplate buttons.

UPDATE (4/27/15):

I keep getting questions on how to install. Please check the PDF file that's attached to this post. The full installation diagram is on Page#9 of the PDF. Note that for "B+ Power Input" I just connected that to 12V switched-ON-power so it only turns on when the car is on.

UPDATE (4/12/15):

I decided to go ahead and I buy the kit I talked about below. Shipping from S. Korea to Texas took 4 days, which was crazy fast. Finally got around to installing it last week.

Essentially it's a kit that goes in between the connections from the MyLink headunit (metal box) to the MyLink faceplate (screen). Holding the Back button on the faceplate for 2 seconds triggers the HDMI input to turn on. Pressing a regular MyLink button brings it back to stock. The kit outputs sound, which is easily routed to the AUX input on the car. In addition to HDMI video input, it can do 2 other composite video inputs and also a backup cam. So you can have a front cam, backup cam, some other composite, and HDMI connected and just switch between them. I'll try hooking up my front and rear cam to it later.

Install was easy, but you do have to tap a few wires. The English instructions and diagrams are very easy to follow (it's the same as the PDF attached to this thread).

I did a quick video to show how I have a Chromecast running on the HDMI input. With the Chromecast, my phone acting as a WiFi access point, and the audio piped through the AUX jack, my passengers can cast videos. I found the screen only distracting at first, like when I first installed the retrofit MyLink on my 2010, but I learned to ignore it. I also mirror the screen on my phone in the video. At that point it's essentially like having an Android headunit that updates easily. Google Maps works great, and as I show at the end of the video, so does playing your own videos on the phone.

I'd say this is totally worth it if you want to keep the stock look with the MyLink. It makes the stock screen 100% more useful. If you have an aftermarket headunit and use a Metra kit, then you can probably already do all this easily with that kind of setup, for a lot cheaper. And if you've got the regular Camaro stereo and are thinking about a screen... be sure to read up on all the issues MyLink brings to the table. If I didn't want the stock look, I'd have definitely gone aftermarket for the headunit instead of MyLink.

Sorry for the shaky camera work; I did this video quickly with my GoPro. At the end I kind of lost track of what I wanted to show, but I think I got the point across.

================
Original post from 2-6-2015:
Hey everyone,

First off, let me say that I don't work for this company or anything. I don't even know if the product is any good because I haven't bought it (short on funds at the moment). I just wanted to get the info out there in case anyone else was interested, and because this really does look like a quality product with some really cool features.

So I found this Korean-based company that is selling a kit that uses the stock MyLink screen in our Camaros, allowing you to do some cool things like play HD content over HDMI or wireless.

Here is the product page.
http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/hd-link/h...for-chevrolet/

I did a lot of copying/pasting into http://translate.google.com to get the gist of everything. $257+$64 shipping = $321 USD; the compatibility list near the bottom of that page shows that it's compatible with Camaro MyLink.

And it just uses the same screen and buttons as MyLink, so you can just switch back to stock MyLink with a few button presses.

I contacted the company via email (acidop@naver.com) and was able to communicate with a guy named Henry Kim who understood written English. He said that they accept payment via Paypal and can ship to the US.

They also provided me with an English language version of the product manual/installation. Looks pretty legit to me.

What does everyone think? I wish I had to money to buy this right now, maybe by summer; it would really give tons of awesome functionality to the MyLink setup. If you decide to go for this and install it, please share!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf [HD-Link] IW03GF_Rev 3.1 ENG(Full Ver. 2015-01-27).pdf (2.99 MB, 4655 views)

Last edited by TofuDragon; 08-13-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Updated website link
TofuDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Sounds interesting. It's similar to NAV- TV. Need to know more, will research. Thanks for the info.
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
TofuDragon

Installed and working on my car. I updated my first post above!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM M6
jesus tap dancin christ this is wicked!
which unit did you buy from the two you showed? 280 version good enough?
Im thinking I would do a front camera, and some kinda android box in the glove compartment... Something that can run files off a usb and netflix or xbmc
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
foo.fighter

also does the box need to be powered up?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo.fighter View Post
jesus tap dancin christ this is wicked!
which unit did you buy from the two you showed? 280 version good enough?
Im thinking I would do a front camera, and some kinda android box in the glove compartment... Something that can run files off a usb and netflix or xbmc
It turns out the "basic" version from the first link is the only version. After asking them over email, I found out that the 2nd link shows options and prices for the kit with installation costs... and that would only make sense if your car was in Korea! So yeah, total cost was $321 after shipping cost.

Yeah, as long as you can power your android box somehow (like via a car cigarette adapter) it'd work.

And yes, the unit gets accessory 12V power through one of the connections you make during install. I just tapped off 12V from the driver side fuse box that shuts off when the car is off. Same 12V connection I have my radar detector and cameras connected to.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Nice hax!
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
foo.fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
It turns out the "basic" version from the first link is the only version. After asking them over email, I found out that the 2nd link shows options and prices for the kit with installation costs... and that would only make sense if your car was in Korea! So yeah, total cost was $321 after shipping cost.

Yeah, as long as you can power your android box somehow (like via a car cigarette adapter) it'd work.

And yes, the unit gets accessory 12V power through one of the connections you make during install. I just tapped off 12V from the driver side fuse box that shuts off when the car is off. Same 12V connection I have my radar detector and cameras connected to.
ok thanks for the update. I think I'm gonna be ordering one of these this summer! Ill wire it up the same way you did. someone should tell the guys in that other thread the solution is in this one! lol
Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo.fighter View Post
ok thanks for the update. I think I'm gonna be ordering one of these this summer! Ill wire it up the same way you did. someone should tell the guys in that other thread the solution is in this one! lol
No problem, yeah, you'll love it kit. If you have any Qs during install, just let me know.

I'm not sure which thread you're talking about, but I'm sure word will get around. I know people, myself included, have been looking for a way to get more usage out of the MyLink screen for a long time.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
Does it also have switched touchscreen controls? If I had touchscreen and HDMI I would be set for carpc, as is I pulled my mylink and put in an 8" HDMI touchscreen, but would like a more stock look.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
Does it also have switched touchscreen controls? If I had touchscreen and HDMI I would be set for carpc, as is I pulled my mylink and put in an 8" HDMI touchscreen, but would like a more stock look.
In the PDF and on the website there are optional touchscreen connections, which I'd imagine could connect to a carpc setup. The basic unit has touch screen connectivity when bringing up the Settings menu, but not for the HDMI input.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
More importantly, how'd you get push button start!?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
More importantly, how'd you get push button start!?
This thread should tell that story (with all the headaches that came with it):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372823
Old 04-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Basically, this will allow my phone (I have Note 4) to be displayed on the MyLink screen? I would love to be able to use the screen to display Google Maps from my phone and run navigation.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote