Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #29
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
dealer program necessary

I can confirm that you must have the dealer program your stereo for use with the steering wheel controls. and Im not happy about it
Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #30
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
I can confirm that you must have the dealer program your stereo for use with the steering wheel controls. and Im not happy about it
Uh-oh...
Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #31
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Uh-oh...
Here we go
Old 11-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
AmericanV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Chrysler 300 SRT8
Quote:
Damn, have you tried it already VT2CA?????

It sucks that GM created such a big option gap between the 1SS and 2SS. What sucks even more is that GM made it difficult for us to install the options we do want. There's always a wiring issue or a software issue. It doesn't allow guys like us to pick and choose options. I guess their tactic worked because moreof the pricey 2SS are being sold. I wish i could afford the extra $78 a month for a 2SS/RS and be done with it.

Oh well, still excited to get my 1SS. Thanks for all the help and info. Truly appreciated!!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #33
VT2CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanV8 View Post
Damn, have you tried it already VT2CA?????

It sucks that GM created such a big option gap between the 1SS and 2SS. What sucks even more is that GM made it difficult for us to install the options we do want. There's always a wiring issue or a software issue. It doesn't allow guys like us to pick and choose options. I guess their tactic worked because moreof the pricey 2SS are being sold. I wish i could afford the extra $78 a month for a 2SS/RS and be done with it.

Oh well, still excited to get my 1SS. Thanks for all the help and info. Truly appreciated!!
I installed a 2SS steering wheel in place of my 1LT vinyl wheel with no stereo controls. The controls did not 'just work' the dealer must program the head unit.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Quote:
I installed a 2SS steering wheel in place of my 1LT vinyl wheel with no stereo controls. The controls did not 'just work' the dealer must program the head unit.
So you don't have a PDIM?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #35
VT2CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
So you don't have a PDIM?
No, why does that matter? Thought the PDIM was only for connecting external USB source....?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #36
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Quote:
No, why does that matter?
My radio (1SS) had to be updated in order for the PDIM to be recognized. I'm thinking I already have the update for the steering wheel controls. I ordered the controls yesterday so I'll find out soon
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #37
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Soooo dumb. I guess their software engineers don't know what an "If" statement is.

For the PDIM, there's absolutely no reason to have different software between the models. It already handles the lack of a PDIM module "gracefully" and doesn't show it in the menu.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
VT2CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Someone should pop off the cover on their steering wheel where the controls go and see if a harness is there. My car is covered up right now or i would.
There is no wiring for the audio/phone steering wheel controls on the base model steering wheel.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #39
VT2CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Has anyone seen a thread on how to remove the steering wheel or how to get access to the steering wheel controls?
Removing the steering wheel airbag is tricky, there are two holes on either side of the wheel, you need to find a tool (allen wrench) that you can fit thru those holes. Starting with the right side, push the tool thru the hole until you feel a spring which you push on to release the plastic clips holding the airbag on. be very careful releasing the airbag from the wheel, it is also held on by two wires on the back of the bag, once the airbg is released pull the clips on the two connectors on the back of the bag and the wires will pull off the airbag. if you pull too hard getting it off you can rip the airbag off and destroy the wires and the clockspring (as I did) If you break the clockspring or wires connecting it you will be waiting a long time for a replacement., I am going to do a full writeup on replacing the wheel when I get my new clockspring, not sure how much the clockspring has to do with the audio/phone controls.
from what I've read in the GMC truck forums they had to replace the clockspring and wiring to the main harness to get the steering wheel controls in non equipped vehicles to work.
My dealer tolod me the radio would need to be programmed for the buttons to work so that makes me think the wiring is there and the clockspring is good, also dealer parts could only find one part # for 2010 camaro clockspring so that is promising. hoping basic programming works out....
Old 11-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #40
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

I think i'm going to back away slowly from this one

Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #41
VT2CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I think i'm going to back away slowly from this one

yes, I should not have even attempted this one. For the hassel and cost Ive gone thru getting the clockspring replacement In my mind it is costing wayyy more than the $100-$150 the dealer wanted to charge me to do the job.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

the way i see it is, there might be the possibility that the airbag will deploy in my face if i touch the wrong thing...thinking about it, i think it would be quite funny if that happened to me, but at the same time, doesnt the computer keep a record of the airbag deploying?

Closed Thread