Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
I seen a video that said it is over 1000hp, I think it was dyno'ed but has never been on a track. it did down really mean though,

i found a vid on youtube, he was in a parking lot. It was different than the CamaroSpike is talking about
Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
I seen a video that said it is over 1000hp, I think it was dyno'ed but has never been on a track. it did down really mean though,

i found a vid on youtube, he was in a parking lot. It was different than the CamaroSpike is talking about
oh, yeah, im sure it can put out 1000hp, but I would not want to be the one to drive it down the track. that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stickin thru and too much to break for a serious run. the funny thing is, you could get the same amount of hp with one blower and not have to worry about over compressing the second housing. then again they are prolly runnin huge pulleys to keep the actual amt of boost within control.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
who taught you that?

I have no idea...nobody I know personally knows anything about cars....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

there are some turbo systems that will give you good low end torque, but a s/c will boost you all the time, not just once the turbo spools.
^I mean that regarding to centrifugals...cause I don't see the point of any other style <That's based on research and personal preference (and besides the point)...When you've got a centrifugal, it doesn't make peak boost untill right near, if not at redline....whereas once Turbos are spooled, that boost pressure is maintained.

Then you get the flipside...Centrifugals never drop off their power, whereas Turbos tend to lose their boost a little towards high rpms...according to what I've seen.

as the saying goes...6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, specifically I was thinking more along the lines of this pic. Here's a video of it in action http://5thgen.vidiac.com/hottestvide...d16951f600.htm Oh, and I found both of these at http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=blower
Attached Images

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Now that ^^^ is a sweet 5th Gen.

Why do I never see cars driving around like that? I've seen them at car shows a lot, sure, but never driving along on the highway. Are they not street legal, or is that setup just too cost prohibitive?

Also, if I were to walk into an aftermarket performance shop and ask for that exact setup, what would I be asking for? I know almost nothing about turbos and superchargers except what I've read on this site, so I definitely can't recognize them when I see them.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have no idea...nobody I know personally knows anything about cars....

^I mean that regarding to centrifugals...cause I don't see the point of any other style <That's based on research and personal preference (and besides the point)...When you've got a centrifugal, it doesn't make peak boost untill right near, if not at redline....whereas once Turbos are spooled, that boost pressure is maintained.

Then you get the flipside...Centrifugals never drop off their power, whereas Turbos tend to lose their boost a little towards high rpms...according to what I've seen.

as the saying goes...6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
ur talkin centrifugal s/c's right? cus technically a turbo is a type of centrifugal. lol

but with a centrifugal s/c, its basically the same as any other s/c just more piping/intercooler as far as function. it runs off a belt to force air into the engine. the problem with turbos is "once you get spooled" lol tho there are setups out there that are making good torque/hp down low, but not many. another thing with centrifugals is that the intake is down inside the engine bay, (unless you've done some work) limiting the amount of air they get compared to a traditional "thru the roof" blower.
the problem with 4th gens and s/cs is that unless you do some major modding, you can only run a centrifugal s/c. theres just not enough room to run a traditional style roots blower. (with the exception of the vette/LS1 roots s/c for the late 4th gens and the blower im workin on for my LT1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
Now that ^^^ is a sweet 5th Gen.

Why do I never see cars driving around like that? I've seen them at car shows a lot, sure, but never driving along on the highway. Are they not street legal, or is that setup just too cost prohibitive?

Also, if I were to walk into an aftermarket performance shop and ask for that exact setup, what would I be asking for? I know almost nothing about turbos and superchargers except what I've read on this site, so I definitely can't recognize them when I see them.
because the ones that arent just a show car are race cars. and the ones who build them not intending to push them rarely take them out of the garage
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

The same Turbo system on a goat...

Camarosopike...I'm not sure which you're supporting more? Centri-blowers, or Turbos? :p
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
I think its funny when people think turbo's are for rice cars when Buchi first patented it back in 1905. lol Turbo's started to hit the mainstream auto industry back in the late 70's too help Diesel and belive it or not, GM was the first too use them in production cars in early 60's.

Oh and the hissing sound, you can hardly hear it when your driving. I can hardly hear it in my sti and I dont have any sound deadning in my car.
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #23
twistedwedge

Drives: 2010 SSOM SS
damn that thing sounds like it has 25 gears...took the dude long enough to wind it up for a dyno pull..lol

I love the way it sounds...badass. Turbos are too cool, IMO. One thing I always wanted to do on my 3rd gen was a blow through..they make sick power.

Far as turbo vs S/C...FYI any type of FI generates a lot of heat in the air charge. S/C is considered the "most bang for the RPM" FI. Since a turbo impeller is spun by exhaust gases- you have low RPM, not much exhaust gas flow to turn it..thats where you get the term "turbo lag."

I could see a turbo car being a better "street warrior" on a F-body due to the fact that once these cars get out, even if they hit a surge of HP they continue to put power to the ground, even if spinning in the process.

heres a 1076 whp video, turbo car of course (even though im not huge on GN's)...friggin badass...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...4e9c14ff1c.htm

Last edited by twistedwedge; 10-13-2007 at 12:24 AM.
twistedwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Camarosopike...I'm not sure which you're supporting more? Centri-blowers, or Turbos? :p
neither. im supporting twin screw and roots style.
i was just throwin some comparison in there since you left out the other types of S/c

have you forgotten this?

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

Yeah, I did forget about that...

Can anybody - if they feel like it - post up a dyno graph, or link to one of a Roots /o Twin Screw on a C6 Vette...I can't find any
Old 10-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
twigg107

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwedge View Post
Far as turbo vs S/C...FYI any type of FI generates a lot of heat in the air charge. S/C is considered the "most bang for the RPM" FI. Since a turbo impeller is spun by exhaust gases- you have low RPM, not much exhaust gas flow to turn it..thats where you get the term "turbo lag."
Sorry but there is so much more too turbo lag then that. A properly sized turbo, water to air intercooler, water/meth injection will spool like a madman!
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg107 View Post
Sorry but there is so much more too turbo lag then that. A properly sized turbo, water to air intercooler, water/meth injection will spool like a madman!

N2O will do it also...haha

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #28
twigg107

ya... Nos will help but wont last long, My water/meth injection uses about 5gal amonth but I get a constant 40hp from it. Water helps cools the air and the meth acts like a octane booster.
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD