Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
SSCamaro2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/rs
F.A.S.T Intake Manafold

Who here has any experience with this on there 2010 Ls3? what all do you have this on your car with? How do you like it? Power Gains? Worth spending the money on? This is what i would be adding it to. headers/exhaust/intake/cam, would it be worth adding to this set-up?
SSCamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
I have a ported FAST 102 on my car. You're going to read a TON of naysayers posting "that intake isn't worth it"...well...every test I saw before I bought mine, showed that it would be worth less peak than a comparable LS7 or LS1/2/6 version...I am ok with that...I wanted that little bit of an edge over other mild cam cars, so I ported my heads and did the ported manifold to match...you've gotta go into it understanding, they don't advertise it to be worth as much on the LS3, because the stock LS3 intake is really pretty good, so use that knowledge to decide if the cost of the manifold is justified to you.

My impressions...it's louder under the hood, I don't mind the noise, but some people do, the intake definitely subdues less noise. I swapped a cam in at the same time and I lost NOTHING for low end power...typically I'd expect to, and I'm pretty confident that the intake is why I still have it. I'll be on the dyno soon, I need to buy a 102mm throttle body still, then I will get there, I just haven't had time yet.

I'd expect a cam the size of mine with the same longtubes/3" catback and Vararam combo as my car to do 465-475 on a dynojet without the headwork and intake manifold...I'm hoping to be closer to 500 rwhp. I did 425 before the H/C/I, and it certainly feels a ton stronger, so hopefully I can get there.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
SSCamaro2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/rs
The reason i ask as well is, because i do plan to Pro-charge my car and I feel this will be a good investmate in the long run. Im assuming a FAST intake will work with a procharger that is...
SSCamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
BYE
CAMMER

Drives: 2010 SS
i have one on my car with the Nick Williams 102mm TB and i think it was well worth it with my tsp 231/236 cam car
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaro2010 View Post
Who here has any experience with this on there 2010 Ls3? what all do you have this on your car with? How do you like it? Power Gains? Worth spending the money on? This is what i would be adding it to. headers/exhaust/intake/cam, would it be worth adding to this set-up?
It works well on our test car which has twin turbos, the peak gain was 28HP and 31 flbt. It's expensive, but folks spend similar amounts or more on cam swaps that net similar gains.

Plus it looks better than the stock intake.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
It works well on our test car which has twin turbos, the peak gain was 28HP and 31 flbt. It's expensive, but folks spend similar amounts or more on cam swaps that net similar gains.

Plus it looks better than the stock intake.
I disagree...I liked the plain simple look of my stock intake once I removed the engine cover and the acoustic shell...the FAST manifold certainly makes typical nitwits at a cruise night say "OMGGGGSSSSS....this thing must be INSANE!!!!", but personally, when I pop the hood I see it and say "ehh...I wish I'd sanded the writing off and painted it flat black to look like the stock one"...which I'll probably do next winter.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I painted mine flat black but also painted the LSX in silver and the R in red... I am going to use a Vortech Ysi with mine. Hopefully, it will together, tuned and done by the end of the month.

Last edited by blake-b; 04-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I have one with a NW 102mm TB as well. This along with my other mods netted me a 80hp increase. I have no idea how much of that came from the manifold though. I love the look of it as well. I got it though to open up my intake system since I also plan on procharging mine. It by itself probably wont give you much of anything. Get it ported and start adding other mods and that is when you will start seeing bigger increases from it.

If i had the money though I would have paid for a moreno intake manifold, but I figure this $900 investment is good enough for now instead of $3-$5k!
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
With the mods I have, I should be around ~470 RW, but with the FAST intake and NW TB, I'm leaving about ~10 additional RWHP on the table. Need more cubes to really take advantage of the extra air flow. I got a great deal on the FAST, so I jumped on it. I planned on going to a 416 setup anyway, so the money on the FAST wasn't a waste.

If I didn't plan to stroke the engine, I would have ported the stock intake and tb.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
I added the FAST intake and NW 102 TB in February. It didn't make a "seat of the pants" detectable increase, but made a decent increase on the dyno with a fairly moderate G5X3 cam. I could pick another 10 to 15 rwhp with a bigger cam, ie the G6X3. I personally like the look of the intake and will ultimately have it painted when I do my next engine bay mods.

Interestingly, many of the guys I cruise around with noticed me making a "meaner" sound under heavy throttle after the install. Some even thought I had changed out the cam too.

Bottom line is that you don't get a lot of bang-for-your-buck with this mod......but if you're going for max hp with a NA setup or you might stroke it later, then it's a logical mod for sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
I added the FAST intake and NW 102 TB in February. It didn't make a "seat of the pants" detectable increase, but made a decent increase on the dyno with a fairly moderate G5X3 cam. I could pick another 10 to 15 rwhp with a bigger cam, ie the G6X3. I personally like the look of the intake and will ultimately have it painted when I do my next engine bay mods.

Interestingly, many of the guys I cruise around with noticed me making a "meaner" sound under heavy throttle after the install. Some even thought I had changed out the cam too.

Bottom line is that you don't get a lot of bang-for-your-buck with this mod......but if you're going for max hp with a NA setup or you might stroke it later, then it's a logical mod for sure.
I've been told similar things about the exhaust note from my car...apparently it sounds very smooth and clean at full throttle...I wouldn't know, it's never driven past me.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Oh it defenetly makes a big sound difference in the exhaust! Especially if it is ported and combined with a 102mm TB. I have that as well at 2"LTs and a 3"Exhaust system from Stainless Works... At WOT it makes it extremely loud! I had the exhaust and LT's on before the Manifold and TB. The sound difference didn't quite double, but it was defenetly noticable!
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote