Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
So I picked up the car last night after the tune was completed.

Saw no gains from the tune, but that seems to be a result of some timing being pulled because of knock. I drove the car to work this morning and there's vibration from both the engine as well as my Borla system is vibrating like nuts. I'm getting the same metal on metal sound that it made when I first installed it and eventually had to buy the Elite Engineering brace to remedy the problem.

I'm also betting that the vibration is the culprit of the knock (although there was some discussion about gas quality, so that's a possibility too). My thought is that the headers are rubbing on the frame a bit (I'm getting this from speculative discussion between myself and my installer) and the Borla catback is vibrating all over the place (not embellishing, that's not my thing - it's vibrating like nuts at awkward times and imprecise intervals).

I'm going to see if I can find the points of contact when I get home, but anyone have any suggestions where to start?

Last edited by IMJ; 08-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I think I read the cross brace? You can try loosening the exhaust then pushing it up and retightening it. I've also heard of one that the aftermarket x pipe was installed backwards? You can also shim it with washers. I'm sure it's an easy fix once you see it though.
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
I think I read the cross brace? You can try loosening the exhaust then pushing it up and retightening it. I've also heard of one that the aftermarket x pipe was installed backwards? You can also shim it with washers. I'm sure it's an easy fix once you see it though.

Ya good input, but I don't think it's the tunnel brace. I only mentioned the brace to illustrate that the vibration sounds I'm getting now are similar to what I've experienced before for clarity but also to avoid the cliche "it could be low oil" or some other nonsense response that a mechanic might otherwise give you to make you go away, LOL!

I'd have investigated it without bringing it up at all but it's so noisy in such a randomized fashion (e.g., not under hard acceleration, but randomly at idle, or cruising speeds) that I thought maybe someone would have some direct experience with where it might be vibrating at.

I'm betting it's two contact points - the Borla system is unsecured (based on my experience) and that the headers are hitting the frame (based on something my installer had noted the other day). I'm also betting that the car is pulling timing because of those metal contacts and once its corrected it won't be as dramatic. Your x-pipe thing is a good call though - I'll check that out because now that you mentioned it I've seen that as well before.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
WindyCityPilot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS
Why wouldn't your installer fix these issues when installing the headers??? Seems like pretty simple logic to me.
WindyCityPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
Let's be very clear about this.

The car would not have left our shop if we saw that the headers were hitting anything which they should not have or if we had seen any other clearance issues with the exhaust system.

I did let you know that there was a point where the headers and sub frame did not have enough clearance, IMO and that under load/torque that they could/might touch and my recommendation was to "tweak" the headers if need be, pending your approval.

We also test drove the car together, twice before you left, with no exhaust rattling issues?

I do not think that this is the first place which we should find out that you think there may be an issue with the exhaust system.

Just bring it back in and we'll find out what is going on with it. No reason to speculate?
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityPilot View Post
Why wouldn't your installer fix these issues when installing the headers??? Seems like pretty simple logic to me.
I agree, and I'm sure they will but I want to find where it's contacting so as to avoid any disparity between my description of the sound and it's manifestation. It sucks because it didn't become pronounced until after I took delivery of the car, although in hindsight I did hear it on the test drive when going around the building at slow speeds, although it was less pronounced at that point.

There was some convo about bad gas causing pulled timing as well, but in light of this I think it's clear that car is pulling 1.5 degrees stemming from the knock it's detecting from the metal exhaust vibration against hangers or the frame somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChicago View Post

The car would not have left our shop if we saw that the headers were hitting anything which they should not have or if we had seen any other clearance issues with the exhaust system.

I did let you know that there was a point where the headers and sub frame did not have enough clearance, IMO and that under load/torque that they could/might touch and my recommendation was to "tweak" the headers if need be, pending your approval.

We also test drove the car together, twice before you left, with no exhaust rattling issues?

I do not think that this is the first place which we should find out that you think there may be an issue with the exhaust system.

Just bring it back in and we'll find out what is going on with it. No reason to speculate?
I just saw this as I was writing the post above. And I agree - I know that had we heard the rattle at the shop you guys would've fixed it. I'm not questioning that at all! I'm just pointing out that the vibration is clear and that I wanted my ducks in a row before bringing it back for the fix.

Stefano spent a ton of time with me on this job. He was a consultant all the way through (seriously, the communication was immediate and clear). He was emailing dyno results to me at work for God's sake - it was awesome!

I don't attribute what I have going on to anything more than typical adjustments that are needed that I've encountered in the 7 exhaust jobs I've had done in the past on cars.

Last edited by IMJ; 08-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityPilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChicago View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I agree, and I'm sure they will but I want to find where it's contacting so as to avoid any disparity between my description of the sound and it's manifestation. It sucks because it didn't become pronounced until after I took delivery of the car, although in hindsight I did hear it on the test drive when going around the building at slow speeds, although it was less pronounced at that point.

There was some convo about bad gas causing pulled timing as well, but in light of this I think it's clear that car is pulling 1.5 degrees stemming from the knock it's detecting from the metal exhaust vibration against hangers or the frame somewhere.

I just saw this as I was writing the post above. And I agree - I know that had we heard the rattle at the shop you guys would've fixed it. I'm not questioning that at all! I'm just pointing out that the vibration is clear and that I wanted my ducks in a row before bringing it back for the fix.

Stefano spent a ton of time with me on this job. He was a consultant all the way through (seriously, the communication was immediate and clear). He was emailing dyno results to me at work for God's sake - it was awesome!

I don't attribute what I have going on to anything more than typical adjustments that are needed that I've encountered in the 7 exhaust jobs I've had done in the past on cars.
Let's be clear here, Nickey Chicago, and Stefano specifically, is a class act. They have, and will, stand behind their builds and installs. IF there is an issue with anything they do they WILL correct it once brought to their attention. As stated, it sounds like something just needs to be adjusted.

Carry on.....

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Let's be clear here, Nickey Chicago, and Stefano specifically, is a class act. They have, and will, stand behind their builds and installs. IF there is an issue with anything they do they WILL correct it once brought to their attention. As stated, it sounds like something just needs to be adjusted.

Carry on.....

T.
Yup. I agree. But if that's not obvious by what I've written then just see yourself out of the thread.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Glad I saved me sum mula and holding off on these.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Cheesecake.....Reese's peanut butter, really good!
Sugar free??? Lol
Old 08-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Glad I saved me sum mula and holding off on these.
They sound pretty mean when pumped through Atak mufflers though man.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
They sound pretty mean when pumped through Atak mufflers though man.
I bet, I had hopes for these tri ys but after 5 different cars and brand X was a lil better and in price too
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
I bet, I had hopes for these tri ys but after 5 different cars and brand X was a lil better and in price too
Ya, but I should note too that I also got high flow cats with my set so that was a pricing equalizer too. But I hear ya.

Last edited by IMJ; 08-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Its all about quality with me. If the product is cheaply built and still performs close i still go better. Ill work more to always have the best on everything i build. Ill have some dyno pulls soon out of andy at adm performance. Then i can say how good they really are. Just my opinion.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote