Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
spotticus

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Shifting when cold

Hey peeps!

Approaching 700 miles now, loving the **** out of this car.

As it's getting more into winter, I'm starting to notice in the mornings when it's cold (25-30 degrees, and obviously will get colder as winter goes on) that it's damn near impossible to shift 1st to 2nd. 1 to 3 works ok, but getting back into first or second is hard for the first few mins. once things warm up, it seems to do okay... but I've found I'm better off just staying in first gear and driving slow if it looks like I'll have to stop/start again.

Just curious if this is normal, or I should take it back to the dealer and complain.

Details: 2014 2SS/RS, M6 w/ Short-throw shifter, approx 680 miles

Thanks guys!
spotticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
yep I'm in minn and it's the same in my 2013 1ie they don't like the cold.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotticus View Post
Hey peeps!

Approaching 700 miles now, loving the **** out of this car.

As it's getting more into winter, I'm starting to notice in the mornings when it's cold (25-30 degrees, and obviously will get colder as winter goes on) that it's damn near impossible to shift 1st to 2nd. 1 to 3 works ok, but getting back into first or second is hard for the first few mins. once things warm up, it seems to do okay... but I've found I'm better off just staying in first gear and driving slow if it looks like I'll have to stop/start again.

Just curious if this is normal, or I should take it back to the dealer and complain.

Details: 2014 2SS/RS, M6 w/ Short-throw shifter, approx 680 miles

Thanks guys!
spotticus,

My apologies to learn that the cold shifting is causing you some concern. I understand why you would post to the forum about this. If you feel additional assistance is necessary, I can communicate your concerns with your GM dealer's Customer Experience Managers. Please message us privately if you would like to discuss this further, or if you simply want this matter documented.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
It could be normal, here in Texas it doesn't really happen much. It does seem a bit more difficult to shift when the fluids are cold though. Once it warms up and the fluids start to lube everything it should drive more smoothly.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Cold temps require a little more concentration on making your shifts at the best rpms. I try to "maintain the forward momentum" while shifting when it's cold. And yes, 1st > 2nd is the worst.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
This is normal for all gear boxes. They need a little time to warm up in extreme cold (<40 degrees)

If you're new to manual transmission driving, either run your engine for a few minutes or take your first couple shifts very carefully. You'll notice improvement as driving continues and the transmission temp rises.

Here's some perfect information, actually: http://www.examiner.com/article/how-...y-cold-weather
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
Yeah, i feel like im trying to punch through a concrete wall when its cold
Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
One thing that helps a little is if you let it warm up at all, do so with the trans in neutral and the clutch out. Same for sitting at a red light. That way there is some internal rotation and moving around of the fluid which helps it warm faster. Not much, but every little trick helps. Worst case is having a transmission oil cooler, great for track purposes, bad for normal driving.
Changing to synthetic oil helps also. This is on my list of things to do.
You can also try double-clutching on that 1-2 shift.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Every manual car i've owned has been more difficult to shift in the cold, it wasn't too bad in my truck because the shift lever was much longer or my wifes Jeep.

If it gets down into the teens in NC shifting can be pretty tough for sure.

Your transmission may loosen up a bit with some miles as well, my 2010 it's a little tougher in the cold but even with the short throw it's not really an issue. I'm also running royal purple synchromax fluid.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Even automatics shift roughly in the cold. However we don't feel it in our hands since it's an auto. If you do have an auto, just pay attention and you'll notice it and then it'll bother you. haha!
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I live in Northern Iowa. I have the same problem when it gets cold. 1-2 shift is rough until the car warms up.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Yes, it is more difficult to get into the lower gears when it's cold.

Double-clutching helps.

(INB4 F&F quotes)

"Granny-shifting, not double-clutching like you should...."
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Double-clutching helps.
This ↑↑↑ .

Yes, even for upshifts when it doesn't want to go into 2nd. When the revs of the different bits inside the gearbox drop too fast, kicking the revs back up again is exactly what you need to do.

Some cars are fussier about this than others.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
WindyCityPilot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS
Definitely normal...my 2013 SS does the same thing. I just shift 1-3 until the trans warms up then it shifts like butter 1-2.
WindyCityPilot is offline   Reply With Quote