Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
And she has been lowered! Pfadt lowering Springs on a 2012 ZL1

So today we finally got the opportunity to test some Pfadt Racing parts on one of our our Project ZL1's! And most importantly, their lowering springs

I will be posting tons of more info shortly once I get everything in the computer, photo's, vids etc but here is a sweet teaser shot for now

I have taken her for a good test drive and so far she feels absolutely amazing, but I will give my full impressions once the rain stops here and I can really feel her out. We will be putting a few test miles on her on the street and on the track to ensure the springs work in conjunction with the MRC and provides a nice upgrade over stock. Stay tuned!

/Erik

Update!

Personally I am very pleased with the looks of the car, the ZL1 comes somewhat lowered from the factory compared to the 4x4 stance that the SS had so in my opinion it did not need a huge drop. Plus as a road racer I think about things like suspension travel, chassis geometry and much more and I know that a "slammed" car is not really the best for performance. We measured about 3/4" drop in the fender wells and about 1" body drop. These might settle a bit more once we put some miles on them but I am happy it does not have a crazy slammed look. Also, by lowering it any more I think the front splitter will be the most common part to be replaced on these cars!

I drove the car for 15-20 miles on the road and was pleasantly surprised. I already knew the trailing arms and rear toe rods would be a great upgrade for the rear, but I was curious to see how much (if anything) the springs changed the car. I do plan on taking it to the track very soon and get some REAL feel for it but I did get to test it on some bumpy and twisty roads!

In my opinion, the car feels much better compared to stock than an SS with lowering springs compared to stock. You can tell these MRC shocks are soooo much better and the car rides really nice. I went through all the different settings in the suspension to confirm they still worked and I found them all to be fully functional.

As mentioned we will be putting it to the test when I take our own ZL1 project bone stock vs this one to the track and compare them side by side. now THAT will be a fun day at work

I will mention that install is pretty much the same compared to an SS except for one very important thing which you will see in the photo below! The sensor cable for the rear shock goes right through the shock and rear upper shock mount. There is no way of getting the stock spring off with this in place. If you are not comfortable with wiring, I would recommend having these springs installed by a professional!

STOCK RIDE HEIGHT SPLITTER CLEARANCE

LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT SPLITTER CLEARANCE

STOCK RIDE HEIGHT SIDE SKIRT

LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT SIDE SKIRT

FRONT FENDER STOCK RIDE HEIGHT

FRONT FENDER LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT

AND HERE ARE SOME BEAUTY SHOTS

Last edited by Erik@Torq; 05-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Subscribed!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
THATS IT!!!!! Come on now, NEED MORE PICS! LOL...

I've been dying to see one of these lowered! Post em up ASAP please...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Eric, congratulations on receiving your car. Looks like more rain today but might be getting better towards the weekend.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Erik@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
THATS IT!!!!! Come on now, NEED MORE PICS! LOL...

I've been dying to see one of these lowered! Post em up ASAP please...
More pics are coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Eric, congratulations on receiving your car. Looks like more rain today but might be getting better towards the weekend.
It's not mine I wish!

Mine is still en route I'm afraid
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
More pics please!!!
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
More pics are coming!

It's not mine I wish!

Mine is still en route I'm afraid
I guess that only leaves one question...

Whose going to receive their ZL1 first, Erik@Torq or Pfadt!

Car looks great! We really can't wait to tear into ours when we receive it.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Erik@Torq

Personally I am very pleased with the looks of the car, the ZL1 comes somewhat lowered from the factory compared to the 4x4 stance that the SS had so in my opinion it did not need a huge drop. Plus as a road racer I think about things like suspension travel, chassis geometry and much more and I know that a "slammed" car is not really the best for performance. We measured about 3/4" drop in the fender wells and about 1" body drop. These might settle a bit more once we put some miles on them but I am happy it does not have a crazy slammed look. Also, by lowering it any more I think the front splitter will be the most common part to be replaced on these cars!

I drove the car for 15-20 miles on the road and was pleasantly surprised. I already knew the trailing arms and rear toe rods would be a great upgrade for the rear, but I was curious to see how much (if anything) the springs changed the car. I do plan on taking it to the track very soon and get some REAL feel for it but I did get to test it on some bumpy and twisty roads!

In my opinion, the car feels much better compared to stock than an SS with lowering springs compared to stock. You can tell these MRC shocks are soooo much better and the car rides really nice. I went through all the different settings in the suspension to confirm they still worked and I found them all to be fully functional.

As mentioned we will be putting it to the test when I take our own ZL1 project bone stock vs this one to the track and compare them side by side. now THAT will be a fun day at work

I will mention that install is pretty much the same compared to an SS except for one very important thing which you will see in the photo below! The sensor cable for the rear shock goes right through the shock and rear upper shock mount. There is no way of getting the stock spring off with this in place. If you are not comfortable with wiring, I would recommend having these springs installed by a professional!

STOCK RIDE HEIGHT SPLITTER CLEARANCE

LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT SPLITTER CLEARANCE

STOCK RIDE HEIGHT SIDE SKIRT

LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT SIDE SKIRT

FRONT FENDER STOCK RIDE HEIGHT

FRONT FENDER LOWERED RIDE HEIGHT

AND HERE ARE SOME BEAUTY SHOTS

Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
mrwmaw

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Stupid question but what is the purpose of lowering it?
mrwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
slicktempo

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Very nice drop! How does it handle when going over larger transitions on the freeway?
slicktempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
slicktempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwmaw View Post
Mostly looks. Better handling with a lower center of gravity and more road feedback.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
slicktempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Subscribed!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I may potentially spot an E39 M5 in your sig. LMB at that?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwmaw View Post
The purpose for me personally in lowering any vehicle, is that it simply looks bad ass!

Other than that it can decrease nose dive in braking, decrease body roll in turns since the center of gravity is lower, did i mention it looks bad ass LOL...

Most people do it as a visual mod, and i think most would agree that a lowered car looks WAY better than one that sits high and has lots of wheel/fender gap. Especially in a sports car...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Looks great!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote