Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
MaroMike94

Drives: 2012 camaro lt
Supercharger decision

I'm ready to add a supercharger to my 2012 v6. It already has a CAI intake, rx catch can, and magnaflow axle back exhaust. Just looking for some advice or suggestions. Thanks
MaroMike94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
I have an LLT not the LFX you have. With that being said I just ordered a kit from IPF that will be installed on monday/tuesday. For me I think I made the right choice, it all came down to the tune, but again that the LLT. For the LFX you have more tuning options than the LLT so there are options. Both the RX and IPF kit use the same supercharger head unit, but have VERY different in engine bay looks. Due to the design of the kit. The RX kit uses an after market pulley so that they can run a dedicated supercharger belt. That is a fail safe so that you do not get stranded if your supercharger belt decides to break, but to date the only belt broken that Im aware of was on an RX car. Not bashing, just stating a fact. Where as the IPF kit uses the factory pulley and only one belt. I think your going to need to do your homework and make your own decision. Im sure you'll be happy with which ever you pick.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Battle_Camaro

Drives: 2011 CGM M6 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackTT600 View Post
I have an LLT not the LFX you have. With that being said I just ordered a kit from IPF that will be installed on monday/tuesday. For me I think I made the right choice, it all came down to the tune, but again that the LLT. For the LFX you have more tuning options than the LLT so there are options. Both the RX and IPF kit use the same supercharger head unit, but have VERY different in engine bay looks. Due to the design of the kit. The RX kit uses an after market pulley so that they can run a dedicated supercharger belt. That is a fail safe so that you do not get stranded if your supercharger belt decides to break, but to date the only belt broken that Im aware of was on an RX car. Not bashing, just stating a fact. Where as the IPF kit uses the factory pulley and only one belt. I think your going to need to do your homework and make your own decision. Im sure you'll be happy with which ever you pick.
This isn't so much in reference to your comment blackTT but it would seem like due to the recent suspensions in our V6 FI threads that all comments whether negative or POSITIVE about vendors should be saved for the Vendor Feedback area? Or maybe I just need some clarity...
Battle_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
2LTvert
Ben

Drives: Yellow LFX Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMike94 View Post
I'm ready to add a supercharger to my 2012 v6. It already has a CAI intake, rx catch can, and magnaflow axle back exhaust. Just looking for some advice or suggestions. Thanks
2LTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I went with the IPF kit also for my 2011 vert. The tune and maturity of the kit was the reason, it is a almost daily driver. I have owned RX components on my 2010 coupe and found them to be quality components, but for the SC kit it was clear to me IPF was farther along in development.
The gold nugget in these kits is the tune and I believe that IPF has the better library in dealing with the Bosch ECU. And from what I have seen of the LLTs each on is slightly different in tune.
IPF in using a single belt has just as much possibility of breaking the belt with the SC installed as without. The added tension provided by a SC on the belt is well within the specification on the belt.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I think the more you stack on the pulley the more stress you'll end up putting on the bearing, but thats my two pennys
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Fr3e4gent

Drives: 1LT, Very First LLT Supercharged v6
As I posted in the other thread about FI decision.

Copy&pasted from http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260863

"My 2010 LLT Automatic Camaro is Supercharged by IPF Tuning. It’s a bolt on kit and 100% reversible, low OEM build, V8 power with v6 efficiency and comes with a powertrain warranty.

The installation of this kit ranges from 6-10 hours.

My car stock at 235 whp (forgot base torque #) jumped up to 392 wrhp and 320 wrtq. This is with just a supercharger and tune. The only other aftermarket part on my car is catback exhaust MRT 2.0. I also have a dyno sheet if you wish to see it.

Because of this supercharger, I am able to smile as wide as the grand canyon when I beat a v8 =) and the looks on their faces are never forgotten.

However, the tune that IPF uses is not Trifecta. It’s their very own custom tune. Since IPF works with GM, they have access to the codes in the ECU. From this, they can change the computer codes enabling more out of the v6’s engine rather than adding more parts to get the right Air Fuel Ratio and etc. Their tune also can be calibrated or adjusted to the DA of where you live. If you have to look at it from a different view, I see it as quality over quantity. IPF perfects a tune just for your car.

I can strongly vouch for IPF Tuning because I was their very first customer and got my kit back in April and my car is as healthy as she was when I bought her. My Camaro is a Daily driver as well. (currently a college student at Arizona State University) I travel back to California for holidays or whenever I get the chance. Going 70-85mph all the way back to Ventura County, CA from Tempe, AZ (about 400 miles) I get about 29-31 mpg.

I may have missed a few things but If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a PM. I would be more than happy to tell you more about my LLT kit from IPF."

Regards,
Brandon
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Matt @ RX

Either supercharger kit will fit your needs whether it is the RX or the IPF kit !!! Tuning is worked out on the RX 2012+ LFX kits as I am completing the tuning here and shipping cables with any kits that are sent out of this area.

Our kit does run the isolated supercharger belt, so if you ever have a belt problem with the supercharger it does not leave you stranded on the side of the road. Anyone knows with the additional belt load you have more risk of shredding a belt on a non-isolated system running the longer belt throughout all the accessories, instead of our short belt direct drive system. Look at any high performance supercharged street or race car (Besides the Corvette, because of the rack you have to run a dedicated flip drive system to isolate the belt), every belt is isolated from the drive system. We did not re-invent the wheel here, just followed what pro racers would do.

There is plenty of information on both kits here, you can see from our track proven performance 12.91 and a 13.03 out of TWO different LLT cars.. And the LFX's have more potential to run higher boost levels with their fuel delivery.

Once again, EITHER kit will work well for your application. Let's avoid the IPF vs. RX trash in this thread maybe we'll actually have an informative thread for once.

I will be happy to field any questions as long as we can keep it civil here! Give us a call OR a PM if you have any questions.

We have blowers in stock, CNC brackets are on their way back from the CNC shop so I could ship a kit either end of this week (Holiday week) OR following.

Oh also, I'll let you guys in on our Black Friday sale our kits will be $5399 SHIPPED to the 48 states for the LLT or LFX, that does include the tuning, AEM Wideband Air.Fuel Gauge, AEM Boost Gauge & Autometer Dual Pillar Pod.