Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
PFADT Headers Install & Tune – Independent Dyno Data, Product Review & Experience

Dyno Pull Results
Independent Dyno Baseline Results Pull #1 | 06/01/13
Done At: FLP Motorsports in Naperville, IL on their DynoJet
Results: Max Power: 366.96 | Max Torque: 362.50 (on the opposing run)
Dyno Sheet Scan

Independent Dyno Baseline Results Pull #2 | 08/08/13
Done At: Nickey Chicago in St. Charles, IL on their DynoJet
Results: Max Power: 379.83 | Max Torque: 379.82
NOTE: These results are reproduced below as well, but here's the initial pull. Nickey's has a video of the baseline pull on their Facebook page as well.
Dyno Sheet Scan:

Independent Dyno Headers Installed Results | 08/12/13
Results: Max Power: 403.37 | Max Torque: 395.97
Dyno Sheet Scan:

Independent Dyno Headers + Tune Results | 08/13/13
Results:
Dyno Sheet Scan:

I believe that these dyno results are good independent tests. Although there is some variation there (greater than I initially recalled before looking at the FLP sheet again, but there it is in the scans), it's a ballpark dyno figure. These baselines should be a good relative indicator of a starting point as they were done at two different shops, both on DynoJet dyno's, and they were in somewhat close agreement (FLP's dyno peaked at 366.96 while Nickey's dyno peaked at 379.83). The next dyno pull shows results after the headers were installed, and showed an increase of 23.254 hp over the baseline pull at Nickey's once the PFADT Tri-Y Headers were installed (no tune). The third pull (coming tomorrow) will show the increase after the car was tuned at Nickey Chicago, a well known and reputable shop and vintage muscle car reseller residing in St. Charles, IL a short drive from downtown Chicago.

Outcomes vs. Claims
As always, independent testing with a baseline pull seems to be a more accurate measure of a performance part's affect than any manufacturer claims. PFADT has provided a lot of data about their headers, but I would say that clarity is still best, so rather than promoting their product's outcomes on unrelated or tangentially related cars (as was exemplified by this thread in the "SS" area of the forums), parts manufacturers best foot forward is simply to note that the part was tested on the precise car they built it for, and usually in stock trim. I'm reminded of the 0 ohm plug wire thread where a video taped dyno pull was done showing gains for wires on a car that was heavily modified where any reason related to synergy in the build could have resulted in the increase.

I learned a lot about headers from my installer - more than I knew going in. With that said, based on input from Nickey Chicago as well as what I've learned about headers since starting this mod, these do appear to be a good set of headers on the market, but the claims about "40 hp increases" etc, in my opinion are inaccurate, or at the very least misapplied due to reporting on applications other than the SS, or inflating the outcomes by combinging them with tunes and other randomized modifications.

Put simply, my baseline pull for my LS3 with cheesy mods (Borla cat back, VMAX TB and Granatelli Wires, along with RP fluids) resulted in 379 hp with agreement between two independent dynos in the area, and the pull after only adding the headers was 403.37 peak. So we are looking at an increase of 23.254 horsepower, very respectable in my opinion, but far from the 40 something HP claims that have been kicked around here and there.

I haven't driven or heard the car yet, but I'll add that info when I do. In a nutshell though, taking into account the dyno results as well as the input from my very experienced installer, the PFADT headers seem like other quality headers on the market. I would say however, that while manufacturers are entering an era of quantifying and reporting testing on their parts, they are doing so using the most extreme results. Going forward I would hope that we see the hobby evolve and that more manufacturers move away from extreme results reporting in the future, and rely on conservative testing which will only result in capitalism forcing the industry to continuously improve more quickly.

Additional Threads
Installer Comments Found HERE
Product Manufacturer Comments Found HERE

Last edited by IMJ; 08-13-2013 at 11:37 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
IMJ

Updated with the most current dyno sheets and some editing for clarity. Tune and final dyno sheet tomorrow from Nickey's!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
What is this thread about? Too long to read.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Interesting .....
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Hm true dat. I forgot my audience out of excitement for the project. I do that. I also forgot this wasn't one of my own sites so I shortened it up for ya... lots of small words and some nice pictures of dyno sheets. If you can't read the graphs, then at least try looking cuz I wrote down the numbers for ya too!

Last edited by IMJ; 08-13-2013 at 01:01 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
It was a simple enough read, straight forward and covered the basics.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Hm true dat. I forgot my audience out of excitement for the project. I do that. I also forgot this wasn't one of my own sites so I shortened it up for ya... lots of small words and some nice pictures of dyno sheets. If you can't read the graphs, then at least try looking cuz I wrote down the numbers for ya too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by t&t moyer View Post
It was a simple enough read, straight forward and covered the basics.
I thought it was a great write up.

nice job OP...
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Nice write up! I'm sure the tune will net you more hp/tq!
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
IMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
Nice write up! I'm sure the tune will net you more hp/tq!
Ya, I can't wait to see the results after the tune. My installer has done a great job of keeping my expectations realistic for "real world" horsepower.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
good job...good post.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Great write up, thanks. Kind of how I felt before hand. Great quality, but arent going to perform all that different from the other premium headers out there.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
good read. It would be nice to see more of these "real world" posts. I think people just get too excited and want to post the best case scenario to often....

That being said, they still are showing more torque under the curve than most of the std LT headers that I have seen. that is why they are still the top on my list. I think people make way to much out of "Peak" numbers...

Thanks again

Be sure and post a sound clip after the tune, eh?

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
You find the "claimed" numbers and actual numbers vary quite often. I did some modifcation research while I was out at the Fest this year and most of the companies will tell you a number, show a dyno graph, and tell you that you will get it with a standard "package" for $XXX.XX. In REALITY you need to get this upgrade or add-on paired with a few other add-ons in order to get their claimed numbers. I fully agree with your comments here OP and I thank you for your work. This makes my decision to go with TSP LT headers much easier.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Cheesecake.....Reese's peanut butter, really good!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote