Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Chevyfanatic101

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 gmc sonoma turbo
Engine back exhaust for 2013 V6 Camaro

I have decided to keep my v6 camaro instead of trading it in for a v8, eventually I plan on building the motor for boost but that is a little bit down the road.
I was looking at a full exhaust setup and came to a thread that showed me that my camaro does not have any exhaust manifold, and I have a question. Would this high flow cat https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...h-flow-cat.htm
Work with this cat back
https://www.phastekperformance.com/S.../sp-993963.htm
I am looking mainly for performance, for right now I am going to get a cold air intake with the full exhaust setup mentioned above, and potentially a dyno tune to maximize the mods. How much power can I reasonably expect, how good does this exhaust sound, and will those 2 exhaust pieces hook up together correctly?
Thanks for all the help and advice so far! I look forward to posting more down the road once I start my engine build
Chevyfanatic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:23 AM   #2
Chevyfanatic101

Oh, a late addition, earlier i had stumbled across a post showing different links for all the parts i needed to build the lfx engine in the future, however i can not find it anymore, if anyone knows which thread im talking about and could post a link it would be much appreciated
Old 05-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Looking at Solo's website they show two cat-backs for the V6: one for 2010 - 11 and one for 2012 - 15; not sure if there's a difference; everything about the cat-back (size, hanger locations, etc.) are the same. Your link to Phastek shows just one so I'm guessing either cat-back (or maybe there is just one?) will fit on 2010 - 15.

If you're considering boosting the engine in the future maybe consider a cat-back made for the V8 - as long as it's 2.5" pipe it'll fit, and the larger pipe will make a difference once boosted. The V6 exhaust starts at 2.5" but after the h-pipe goes to 2.25"; I think some aftermarket exhausts are 2.5" the whole way; Solo's is 2.25".

I have the full Solo exhaust and like the sound. My exhaust shop is a Solo dealer so they bought and installed it; not sure what cat-back they bought (or maybe there's only one...). Power with a full intake + full exhaust + tune is around 300 wheel, more or less.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
As a V6 guy i can say if you want big numbers just go buy a V8.
Torque is king and 217 cubic inches while fun will not cut it without stupid money thrown at it.

Save yourself the headache.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
Chevyfanatic101

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
As a V6 guy i can say if you want big numbers just go buy a V8.
Torque is king and 217 cubic inches while fun will not cut it without stupid money thrown at it.

Save yourself the headache.
My car has 110,000 miles on it now, just took it to florida, still runs and drives like new, and to be honest i know a v8 will make more power, especially torque, but i am very close to paying off this v6 and would prefer not to take on another loan right off the bat.
I understand that it will take a lot of money and i am ok with that, i will do it one step at a time, mainly i just like the car and i want to see what it can do, not to mention i would love to see a v6 run 12s or lower in the 1/4 mile, I'm hoping that with the intake, exhaust and tune i can break into the 13s.
I dont necessarily want the most powerful camaro around, i just want something unique, and a built and boosted v6 camaro is definitely that.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Chevyfanatic101

I did just think of somthing, i would prefer not to make a new thread for it, but the engine in my camaro and the engine in the 2015+ camaros are the same, would it be possible to eventually replace my 6 speed auto with the new 10 speed?
Old 05-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
The V6 has a high flowing exhaust already plus no rasp thanks to the mufflers. You'll get no gain from buying another one. I believe its the Corsa that sells an entire system for $1400 and the manufacturers numbers show a gain of 6 to 7 hp. Probably over inflated I'd guess too. Of course if you go force fed then bigger is better.
The hi flow cats are as useful as fuel line magnets unless yours are clogged up. A lot of reading thru performance shop dyno testing has led me to believe unless the factory cats have failed then don't bother.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You will get zero gains from an exhaust and 7 maybe 8 whp from a caI.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
From a Cat back you will not get any power, That has been shown over and over
Noise from a Cat back system YES in big Volumes.
Headers on a 2010 - 2011 V6 will make about 20 Hp increase
Catted Down pipes on a 2012 - up V6 will get you some power (don't know this one)
But again and again, they try
Cut the Mufflers off To much Rasp
Add a Resonated X pipe Kills the rasp but then its back to Quite no real sound
I have a V6 Camaro, and believe me they don't sound good with the Mufflers cut off
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
Chevyfanatic101

if i install a full exhaust from the engine back as well as a cold air intake would a tune be required immediately or would it run fine without one for a while?
I do know that i need a tune to maximize the power gains from it.
Also, why so many people telling me i wont gain any horsepower from exhaust? i saw a couple threads showing that with intake exhaust and tune the autos were pushing around 270-275whp, and with the e-85 conversion they were pushing 303 whp
And if the exhaust wont add any horsepower, would the 80mm throttle body? or the ported intake manifold?

Last edited by Chevyfanatic101; 05-21-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyfanatic101 View Post
if i install a full exhaust from the engine back as well as a cold air intake would a tune be required immediately or would it run fine without one for a while?
Also, why so many people telling me i wont gain any horsepower from exhaust? i saw a couple threads showing that with intake exhaust and tune the autos were pushing around 270-275whp, and with the e-85 conversion they were pushing 303 whp
And if the exhaust wont add any horsepower, would the 80mm throttle body? or the ported intake manifold?
People that are telling you that there's no gains from exhaust are the people that have modded and dynoed their setups a few times during their builds. They know the results...its not a guess. Along with alot of good info on Camaro 5 theres just as much incorrect info. Go to the v6 section and find a member that has modded his car the way you want to do yours. Pm him ..most members are great at giving info and advice on their builds.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.

Last edited by Modernmusclecar; 05-24-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyfanatic101 View Post
if i install a full exhaust from the engine back as well as a cold air intake would a tune be required immediately or would it run fine without one for a while? YES
Also, why so many people telling me i wont gain any horsepower from exhaust? NOT FROM AN AXLE BACK i saw a couple threads showing that with intake exhaust and tune the autos were pushing around 270-275whp, and with the e-85 conversion they were pushing 303 whp
And if the exhaust wont add any horsepower, would the 80mm throttle body? BETTER RESPONSE or the ported intake manifold? A LITTLE, JAC FAB
Their is a Guy/Girl running a LFX with all the Mods on here, Maxium something
I think he is getting the best Numbers hit him up
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
IMO, you'd benefit more from minor mods...cai, etc and a really good tune. Then look into some suspension upgrades.
I'd also post more in the LFX section...likely to get better/more responses.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote