Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Lightbulb ZL1 Cradle into SS lessons learned

I just wanted to make this because it would have helped me with my small issues I ran into during my (ZL1) rear cradle + drive shaft swap.

Assuming you have,
  • Disconnected the large rear harness on the passenger side near the front-rear cradle mount
  • Unbolted your calipers from the spindle and unbolted the brake line retainers that tuck them away.
  • Disconnected your driveshaft
  • Prayed you are ready to move the heavy son of a bitch
  • Unbolted the 4 Cradle mounts
  • (If applicable) transferred all of your SS harness to the ZL1 cradle. (In my application I COULD NOT use the ZL1 speed sensors. You may be different. But I had to swap mine.)
  • Bolted the new cradle back up in a criss-cross tightening motion as to prevent getting it in a bind.
  • Connected Harness, Bolted back up Calipers and lines, reconnected your NEW Drive Shaft (Know that the SS shaft will not work without (In my opinion) Sketchy modification.)

You will notice a few things when looking over your finished job.
  • The rear cradle mounts DO NOT touch the mounting surface with the black rubber bushing, front two mounts DO touch.
  • You may have a TCS/ Stabilitrak light come on= I needed to straighten up my alignment and it went away.
  • Notice a Vibration when driving the car at certain speeds= Rotate your Driveshaft -> Differential mount 1/3 of a turn and if that doesn't work, try the next 1/3 of a turn
  • Your factory SS pipes are touching the fatass ZL1 differential= modify (bend) the pipe to allow clearance.
  • Go get a f***ing alignment for sure. Its not okay for you to drive like how it sits. Your contact patch is off and you will break things if you dont square it up eventually.
  • (If applies) Your speedo is off track. Not too big of a deal. Just get a passenger to check Waze or any other GPS app on your phone that displays your speed, and memorize your speed at 10,30,45,55, and 65ish to give a rough estimate of what you're actually doing until you drop by the stealership and pay 70-90$ for them to plug in their computer and type a few digits.
  • Change tires because your new Diff and Axles can withstand burnouts once again.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
So, tell me again why you put yourself through this hell?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Same reason I did, got a great price on it, someone else did the work and my mods required the upgrade.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Well, I like learning more and more about this stuff, as well as my car was broken because of the weak SS rearend failing around 500whp, so I felt like this was the best option! Yes it definitely could have gone smoother, but lessons were learned and here are the lessons for everyone to enjoy!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
HOU_TX_SS

Drives: Camaro SS
Where did you guys pick up the ZL1 cradle?
Fully Built 416ci / Procharger F1X / Century Built 4L80 / ZL1 Differential / Alky Control Meth /Circle D Triple Disk / ID1300s / Fore Innovations Return / Kooks Full Exhaust / Holley HiRam / e85 / 15in Conversion on Forgestar Beadlocks / Tuner: Pat G
HOU_TX_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU_TX_SS View Post
Where did you guys pick up the ZL1 cradle?
Hawks Performance. Like I said the Arm was bent but Bruce fixed me up all good at the drop of a phone call!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
I did this too, Power demands... cradle was cheaper for me than the pumpkin axles and seals nuts etc required....plus I got the better swaybar mount upgrade and other suspension upgrades in the purchase.

Good job getting her in, alignment is needed 100%. No ABS here, but the alignment made it night and day better.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
93TAWicked1

I just bought a hub to hub cradle setup. So do you guys think it would be easier/better to do the z28 suspension, Pegasus bushings in the Zl1 setup then install get alignment. Or tear apart zl1 cradle and swap components in car?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1 View Post
I just bought a hub to hub cradle setup. So do you guys think it would be easier/better to do the z28 suspension, Pegasus bushings in the Zl1 setup then install get alignment. Or tear apart zl1 cradle and swap components in car?
If you are comfortable swapping the cradles, probably a bit easier to do it all out of the car. If it is your first time through, swap components on the car.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
93TAWicked1

Thanks Pete, first time working on the rear of a 5th gen but have done alot of my own work on multiple engine t56 and rear swaps in 4th gens and C5 and a weak 7 months with a IRS terminator cobra.

Biggest thing is the weight. I may just build the zl1 setup and take it to a shop to swap. Just hate other people worming on my car

Tags
cradle, diff swap, problem, swap, zl1 cradle