Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
maroonponyina1LE

Drives: 2015 1LE
How to remove the factory oil separator?

Hello,

I need to remove the factory oil separator. As part of the effort, I need to buy an oil cap, and from what I can tell, a different PCV system tube than the one used with the factory separator. If anyone can enlighten me with procedures, parts, and/or part numbers I would greatly appreciate it. There is a separate thread (I believe sitting on page 2 of the 1LE Forum) that has lots of good pictures. It is titled "How do I tell which oil separator is installed."

Greatly appreciate any insights any of you can provide.
maroonponyina1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:46 AM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonponyina1LE View Post
Hello,

I need to remove the factory oil separator. As part of the effort, I need to buy an oil cap, and from what I can tell, a different PCV system tube than the one used with the factory separator. If anyone can enlighten me with procedures, parts, and/or part numbers I would greatly appreciate it. There is a separate thread (I believe sitting on page 2 of the 1LE Forum) that has lots of good pictures. It is titled "How do I tell which oil separator is installed."

Greatly appreciate any insights any of you can provide.
Why?
Just twist the cap off, just like a regular oil cap.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
maroonponyina1LE

Fair question, CreeperRS. Since I am up here in Minnesota and I do not believe the separator was meant for use in cold conditions, seems like it would be best to remove it to avoid condensation.

Also, if all I do is replace the separator with an oil cap, where would I connect the tube to that goes into the separator?

I appreciate your reply and hope you and some others will chime in.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
I'm not sure on where it goes, but I would check out some regular SS intake installation on Youtube, their vent tube is going the original location.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Freddy G

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...nnections.html
This might help too
Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
maroonponyina1LE

Thanks Freddy G - still hoping to hear from others. Realize it may be an easy set of steps, but I am not used to working on cars, much less this one. I am still wondering if I need to order a separate PCV tube, because the original one didn't come with the car. The separator was already installed when it came from the dealer.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
Freddy G

Umm, when i bought my car, the separator was installed, but the original cap and PVC line were in a white box in the trunk. They probably forgot to give them to you.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonponyina1LE View Post
Thanks Freddy G - still hoping to hear from others. Realize it may be an easy set of steps, but I am not used to working on cars, much less this one. I am still wondering if I need to order a separate PCV tube, because the original one didn't come with the car. The separator was already installed when it came from the dealer.
I'll post some pics of what the car comes with originally (non-1LE) when I get home. Your dealership should have provided all accessories that came with the car.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Sidecardog1

Drives: 2015 2SS, 1LE, Dual Mode, Black
1LE Oil separator instructions

Attached are the instructions that came with mine. I had the same problem, the dealer installed the kit at delivery by mistake. I went back the next morning and got the box, the instructions, and the OEM parts that were removed to install the kit for track use only.
I would recommend NOT twisting the top off of the separator, that is not how it works. Read the attached instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GMinstr1LEoilSeparator.pdf (799.3 KB, 218 views)
Sidecardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Yea there is a separate pipe that goes to the intake and it starts where ur car has a cap now right inboard of where the oil cap is on valve cover. Cap is part of 1LE separator.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
That separator is for track use.
You should have what you need to remove it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
maroonponyina1LE

The operative word from Paul's note above, "should."

Car did not come with oil cap or original PCV hose. If it had, I would have figured out the separator was installed much sooner than I did. Am still beyond happy with the car, just need to take care of this item.

One last question: it appears like the hose to the separator goes to the air cleaner box. When the separator is not installed, is there a plug that should cap off that opening?

Thank you for your help!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #13
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Just reverse the procedure shown in the separator install doc that sidecar dog posted.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...4&d=1476394452
The only parts you are missing for removal of the separator system is the pre-formed tube that is shown in the very first picture of that doc and oil cap - the dealer was suppose to leave that tube in the trunk when they installed your separator at delivery time (actually, the dealer was NOT suppose to install the kit).

I'd go back to the dealer and get a FREE replacement tube and cap. Best to make sure you explain to the dealer that you need to pick up the LS3 stock tube, not the tube that arrives with the separator kit.

From Instructions that are in the white separator kit box the factory puts in the trunk (that your dealer kept):
The kit (part number 12653073) is included with other packaged components in the vehicle. It should not be installed during PDI at the dealership. The kit and instructions should be kept in the car. Owners are responsible for installing the oil separator in the car for track use.
The kit is designed for off-road or track use only. The production PCV system should be installed back on the vehicle when driving on public roads.
The kit is not designed for winter driving conditions (ambient temperature should be above 32° F, 0°C).

In warm weather it does not hurt to leave the kit installed.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 10-17-2016 at 07:15 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #14
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Maybe watch this install video and see if you can figure out the reverse for it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=elite
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote