Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #99
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
this was posted already on the home page lol
Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #100
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
I have to give ford some respect..I was betting on a 385hp gt for 2011 and they stepped it up to damn near SS hp.I think the front looks much better but the rear would be a deal breaker if i was interested in a stang. The v6 and SS camaro WILL need more power to stay ahead of the lighter stang. I'll bet the SS will have 450 ponies stock sooner than later...
Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #101
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Perhaps you should visit the 5th gen general section ... typically thats where general news about the 5th gen Camaro gets posted. General automotive/other cars is reserved for ... general automotive and other cars.

oh, and merged
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #102
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna510 View Post
I have to give ford some respect..I was betting on a 385hp gt for 2011 and they stepped it up to damn near SS hp.I think the front looks much better but the rear would be a deal breaker if i was interested in a stang. The v6 and SS camaro WILL need more power to stay ahead of the lighter stang. I'll bet the SS will have 450 ponies stock sooner than later...
It already is over a L99 SS, and it's only 14 HP behind the LS3.

The margin is closer than you think.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #103
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
I keep forgetting that the L99 has less power than the LS3, so your right about the thin margin.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #104
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Perhaps you should visit the 5th gen general section ... typically thats where general news about the 5th gen Camaro gets posted. General automotive/other cars is reserved for ... general automotive and other cars.

oh, and merged

THANX for merging.. and I guess U TOLD ME... Feels good huh???
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #105
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm pretty sure GM won't go and bump the V6 to 306 hp, just to 1 up the Mustang. It would be a pointless endeavour. The V6 would need around 320 hp to be competitive with the Mustang, and probably 340 to be faster (unless GM comes out with a track pack of their own)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
Well, wouldn't you be?
So you bought your car thinking it would forever be the greatest and most awesome SS ever?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #106
1GMFanatik
Da Blue Beast

Drives: 08 Chevy TBSS
Send a message via Yahoo to 1GMFanatik
I have to agree with GM NOT just bumping the power up another 1hp to 1 up Ford if you will. I will also say that I would personally expect GM to make adjustments and changes to the Camaro for the next model year for learning what our likes and dislikes are from the 10' as well as what works and what does not work.
Look at the GTO.. In 05 GM upped the motor size, changed the hood, changed the lower rear fascia, exhaust, and even upgraded the power seat motor to increase the speed of movement. In 06 they made a few more adjustments to include something as simple as tinting the taillights..
Keep on keepin on GM!!!
1GMFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #107
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
"...According to Fitzpatrick, less than three percent of Camaro sales were from those interested in the Corvette..."

I think their numbers are skewed...I'll be it's far more than 3%. I have always been interested in a Corvette, but always felt it was impractical. I never felt I could justify the cost or foist it on my family.

Funny how things work out...

Now, I have the 2SS and no longer think/feel like I need to own a Corvette someday. Would it be nice? Sure...but I was interested in buying a Corvette. Now I just like seeing them on the road...I no longer plan to buy one. The Camaro does it for me...and then some!

I'm betting lots of people feel the same way...

Anyone...? Bueller...?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #108
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
LOL at this whole thing.

1hp is a big deal? 1????

They should spend more time worrying about how heavy the car is, and less about how to make up their '1' hp deficit.
I agree, and making the car lighter would make the enthusiasts happy, but it probably doesn't matter much to the average buyer. Most only look at the HP/MPG numbers. Frankly I'd be suprised if its a signifigant HP bump just due to the price increase. 15-20 HP more wont matter much if the price climbs higher than the mustang. They haven't said whether the change will replace the current engine across the board or if it will just be added to the lineup, so it will be interesting to see what gets changed.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #109
swizz

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
"...According to Fitzpatrick, less than three percent of Camaro sales were from those interested in the Corvette..."

I think their numbers are skewed...I'll be it's far more than 3%. I have always been interested in a Corvette, but always felt it was impractical. I never felt I could justify the cost or foist it on my family.

Funny how things work out...

Now, I have the 2SS and no longer think/feel like I need to own a Corvette someday. Would it be nice? Sure...but I was interested in buying a Corvette. Now I just like seeing them on the road...I no longer plan to buy one. The Camaro does it for me...and then some!

I'm betting lots of people feel the same way...

Anyone...? Bueller...?
+1 on that.

I'm 26 and for me personally, the Vette never really appealed to me growing up. Dodge Viper was the car for me. However after getting my SS, I just don't see a need to ever own a Vette. It's like if I ever won the lottery, I'd be more inclined to get a Viper or just something else and max out my SS with mods. That's pretty much it, the Corvette just doesn't look all that special on the road like that. Sure it has the stats on paper and the Carbon edition looks alright but the foundation styling of the car is just dated.

Honestly if they made the stingray concept a production car, it'd be great.

But anyways, IF I were a decision maker at GM, I'd keep the 304hp for the LS trim, I'd do some sort of 320hp via turbo or supercharger for LT's and call it a day. Create a power package for SS to get bolt on twin turbos. And introduce Z28 and call it a day for 2011/2012.
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #110
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizz View Post
+1 on that.

I'm 26 and for me personally, the Vette never really appealed to me growing up. Dodge Viper was the car for me. However after getting my SS, I just don't see a need to ever own a Vette. It's like if I ever won the lottery, I'd be more inclined to get a Viper or just something else and max out my SS with mods. That's pretty much it, the Corvette just doesn't look all that special on the road like that. Sure it has the stats on paper and the Carbon edition looks alright but the foundation styling of the car is just dated.

Honestly if they made the stingray concept a production car, it'd be great.

But anyways, IF I were a decision maker at GM, I'd keep the 304hp for the LS trim, I'd do some sort of 320hp via turbo or supercharger for LT's and call it a day. Create a power package for SS to get bolt on twin turbos. And introduce Z28 and call it a day for 2011/2012.
that's right. there's not much to it. just slap those turbos in there.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #111
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
As stated before in this thread the HP numbers aren't to prove who's faster at the track, but to have bragging rights in the showroom and mags. I would guess the 2011 LS and LT will be rated at 310hp. Just enough to have a cushion and still be an easily attainable goal. Probably a 1 MPG bump too. Honestly what's the percentage of V6 owners in general that will race these 2 cars. My guess is very low. Obviously people on this site will make up a higher percentage but we're all enthusiasts which is not the norm when it comes to V6 owners. It's all a marketing ploy just to say the Camaro has more HP, and I applaud GM for doing that and not resting on the current numbers. I highly doubt any changes will be made to the HP numbers of the SS.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #112
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
Guys...I wouldnt expect anything huge.

The higher the V6's HP and TQ numbers get, the smaller the gap between the V6 and the SS becomes. The L99 SS is rated at 400 HP. The gap between 400HP and 304 HP is pretty big, and paying on average 10,000 more between a base V6 Auto and a Base SS Auto for 96 more HP and the brembo's/suspension is worth it.

That being said, lets assume the Camaro gets a bump to 320 HP/TQ and the L99 stays put. That is now only a 80 HP difference. Some people would look at the new V6 and say "good enough" or "thats more than enough for me" and not pay ~10,000 more.

I may be wrong, but I doubt GM will place the V6 even close to the V8, because frankly they make alot of money off of sales on V8's.
Well, most of the sales of the Camaro are V8's....by a landslide in fact. One might assume that is a good enough reason to do something with the V6. I'll bet the V6 Mustang either outsells its V8 counterpart or at least equals it. As good as the Camaro sales are, there is always room for improvement.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote