Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Input on a few offers I'm getting****Update $1500 more for LT?

Hello, Guys

I'm on the verge of buying a Camaro 2LS Automatic. I wanted to share what they are offering me and get your opinions on price. Im trading in a Mitsubishi Lancer Oz rally 2002 with 85,000 miles.

Something weird was the average trade in value is $2500 for great condition, but most of the places have offered $1500 -$2000 except the offer 1 below that offered $3200

OFFER 1

SECOND OFFER Dealer 2

$1500 for trade in making the car come to $19000

Last edited by xinfamousxi; 09-10-2014 at 04:38 PM.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
SnowCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS RS
Is this a new car that you are purchasing or used? What year? What options, all these things would play into the purchase price. If it is a brand new 2LS this seems like a pretty good deal. I'm guessing new with the rebate listed.

If it's a new car do you have a military background because that could make a difference if you can get a military or USAA discount on top of the $2500 rebate.

I usually work the deal as if there will be no trade and then bring in the trade at the end to close out the deal. You have to come in knowing what your vehicle is worth. Your vehicle should be worth about $3000-3500 if it's in pretty good condition with a clean title. Look at Kelly Blue Book.

I'd take the higher trade amount, but that's not always the best indicator that you are getting a good deal, the dealer at $18,500 is more costly by $1,250.00 somewhere in their deal if they are giving you $3250.00 for your trade and are only at $500 less than the dealer giving you $1500 for the trade. Are both cars that you are looking at apples to apples and the deal apples to apples? That would make a difference here. There are a lot of factors. If the deals and cars are apples to apples, then I would go to dealer 2 ($19,000) and tell them that another dealer is offering you $3250 (Close to KBB value) for your trade, and that if they can do that you will deal with them, and that you like the color that they have more. That will bring you down into the $17,000 range, which seems really low for a brand new car (if it's new). The lower priced dealer doesn't have to know that you are picking them for the lower price, you can make it seem as though it's for color or a certain option.

Just my 2 cents, but hopefully it helps you.

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Ashen Gray Metallic
Heritage Grille - Sparks Restoration SS Emblems Blue
OE Wheels ZL1 Carbon Edition reproduction wheels (without the ZL1 logo)
Plasti-dipped taillight bezels - Interior carbon fiber hydro-dipped trim - Blue powder coated brake calipers
Hurst shifter cover plate
SnowCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'd buy a 1LS but not a 2LS. The 2LS has a 2.92 rear axle while all the others (1LS, LT, etc) come with a 3.27. If you have to have an auto, I'd look at a 1LT, used, if you have to. They're going to feel quicker.

The deal is decent, but most of that is helped by the dealer cash the dealer is throwing at it. It's not a bad way to go.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCamaro View Post
Is this a new car that you are purchasing or used? What year? What options, all these things would play into the purchase price. If it is a brand new 2LS this seems like a pretty good deal. I'm guessing new with the rebate listed.

If it's a new car do you have a military background because that could make a difference if you can get a military or USAA discount on top of the $2500 rebate.

I usually work the deal as if there will be no trade and then bring in the trade at the end to close out the deal. You have to come in knowing what your vehicle is worth. Your vehicle should be worth about $3000-3500 if it's in pretty good condition with a clean title. Look at Kelly Blue Book.

I'd take the higher trade amount, but that's not always the best indicator that you are getting a good deal, the dealer at $18,500 is more costly by $1,250.00 somewhere in their deal if they are giving you $3250.00 for your trade and are only at $500 less than the dealer giving you $1500 for the trade. Are both cars that you are looking at apples to apples and the deal apples to apples? That would make a difference here. There are a lot of factors. If the deals and cars are apples to apples, then I would go to dealer 2 ($19,000) and tell them that another dealer is offering you $3250 (Close to KBB value) for your trade, and that if they can do that you will deal with them, and that you like the color that they have more. That will bring you down into the $17,000 range, which seems really low for a brand new car (if it's new). The lower priced dealer doesn't have to know that you are picking them for the lower price, you can make it seem as though it's for color or a certain option.

Just my 2 cents, but hopefully it helps you.
Thanks for the input! Yes its a brand new 2LS with 7 miles.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
SnowCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS RS
Good luck! I hope you have a good experience.

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Ashen Gray Metallic
Heritage Grille - Sparks Restoration SS Emblems Blue
OE Wheels ZL1 Carbon Edition reproduction wheels (without the ZL1 logo)
Plasti-dipped taillight bezels - Interior carbon fiber hydro-dipped trim - Blue powder coated brake calipers
Hurst shifter cover plate
SnowCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
xinfamousxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I'd buy a 1LS but not a 2LS. The 2LS has a 2.92 rear axle while all the others (1LS, LT, etc) come with a 3.27. If you have to have an auto, I'd look at a 1LT, used, if you have to. They're going to feel quicker.

The deal is decent, but most of that is helped by the dealer cash the dealer is throwing at it. It's not a bad way to go.
lol this just made me worried
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
lol this just made me worried
The 2LS is still a great car, but they use a different rear axle in the 2LS so for gas mileage ratings. The axle uses a different carrier, so standard gear upgrades won't fit if you ever wanted to change them (or so I've been told--do a search on here, there's a much larger discussion about it).

There's nothing wrong with it, but if you have the option to buy new and want to maximize your performance in the LS model lineup, the 1LS is absolutely the way to go, and should be cheaper as well. This might be a good opportunity to save some money and learn how to drive a manual trans if you don't know how already.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
If this is your daily commuter, I do 75miles round trip plus stop and go traffic congestion, the 2LS is a good choice. If the price is driving you, this is not the car for you. Buy used

BTW, A 2LS with some bolt-ons and a trans tune is a pretty competitive track car.

The price they are giving you is good. Other than the transmission, the LS is what it is for options (other than dealer installed items)

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
You are just giving away your trade in.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
You are just giving away your trade in.
That's what I thought about the OP as well, although I ran the car through NADA and...he might be getting a fair value for it, depending on condition.

Clean Trade In value is right around $3200, with Clean Retail value right around $4700. Add $200 if it's an automatic.

Is OP leaving money on the table? Everyone leaves a little money on the table when they trade in, but at $1500 delta between clean retail and trade value, the actual difference is likely to be less since clean retail values are negotiated downward. Then it becomes a question of a) is there any sales tax advantage to trading in? If yes, that creates some additional value. And B) There is some value in being able to immediately unload the car and not have to try to sell it private party, which would come with a host of high school aged test pilots, hard bargains, and potentially having to hang on to the car until it sells. What's that worth? Only the OP can decide for his situation.

Like I said before...considering the dealer is coming down from MSRP with dealer cash, then applying rebates, and giving him clean trade value for his old Lancer...not a bad deal. The dealership wants to sell a car. The LS models don't have a lot of margin in them to begin with.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

Like I said before...considering the dealer is coming down from MSRP with dealer cash, then applying rebates, and giving him clean trade value for his old Lancer...not a bad deal. The dealership wants to sell a car. The LS models don't have a lot of margin in them to begin with.

Yeah the dealer that offered him 3200 wants to sell a car, that's probably as fair as it will get. Most dealers won't offer NADA clean trade anymore, no one would touch it on my 2lt I traded.

For 1500-2000 though you may as well keep the car
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Yeah the dealer that offered him 3200 wants to sell a car, that's probably as fair as it will get. Most dealers won't offer NADA clean trade anymore, no one would touch it on my 2lt I traded.

For 1500-2000 though you may as well keep the car
Yeah, when I was car shopping I had a few dealers say that they wouldn't even take my car in as a trade. One dealership offered me $300 for my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with 200,000 km on it. Dealerships hate taking old cars because they can't sell them, especially ones that are over 10 years old.

The Chevy dealership I went to offered me $2000 for my car. There was no way I was going to get $2000 out of my old car if I sold it privately because it had a few check engine lights on and needed new tires. I know the dealership had no intentions of selling my car because they didn't even have a mechanic look at it. The sales manager went over and took a look at the body and through the window and said he would give me $2000 for it, didn't even pop the hood. They probably just parted the car out.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduring View Post
Yeah, when I was car shopping I had a few dealers say that they wouldn't even take my car in as a trade. One dealership offered me $300 for my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with 200,000 km on it. Dealerships hate taking old cars because they can't sell them, especially ones that are over 10 years old.

The Chevy dealership I went to offered me $2000 for my car. There was no way I was going to get $2000 out of my old car if I sold it privately because it had a few check engine lights on and needed new tires. I know the dealership had no intentions of selling my car because they didn't even have a mechanic look at it. The sales manager went over and took a look at the body and through the window and said he would give me $2000 for it, didn't even pop the hood. They probably just parted the car out.

They knew it would probably bring at least 1000 at auction, nothing that runs/drives goes for much less , the rest is just good sales strategy that worked.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
xinfamousxi

UPDATE!!

So I went to a another Chevy Dealership and they are offering me a 1LT for $20,000 with an RS package includes engine start, BA speakers. He said at the very least he would get me a LS2 for $17,500. I went back to the other dealership and the best they can do was a 1lT for $19672.