Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
s.norman

Drives: not worth it
6M faster w/ L.C on or off?

just curious if the 6m ss is faster w/ L.C. on or off??
i remember w/ my 4th gen. that i think it was fastern w/ trac. control off...is this right? in a race is it better to dump the clutch at around 1500 rpm w/ L.C. switched off?
s.norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
traction control & launch control are two different systems on this car. launch control will set the engine speed to the point of best power to take off with minimal wheel spin, so my guess is that you should turn TC off and LC on for the best times.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
the car isn't even out yet, so we have no idea.

in general Traction Control is NEVER used in any 'racing' scenario.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.norman View Post
i remember w/ my 4th gen. that i think it was fastern w/ trac. control off...is this right? in a race is it better to dump the clutch at around 1500 rpm w/ L.C. switched off?
How's this: It is best to launch at the highest rpm where you can keep from just smoking the tires. So every car is different. Some cars will practically stay in one place if you dump the clutch at 1500 rpm, and some will bog badly. Depends on horsepower, tires, car, track, and many more variables. There is a fine line to how to get the best launch. Nobody knows yet with this car but it seems like the launch control would make it easier to get a good launch but it will certainly have to limit power from the engine to do it. So with a lot of practice, I am sure the absolute best times will come with the launch control off, but I think it will be pretty consistent with it on.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
How's this: It is best to launch at the highest rpm where you can keep from just smoking the tires. So every car is different. Some cars will practically stay in one place if you dump the clutch at 1500 rpm, and some will bog badly. Depends on horsepower, tires, car, track, and many more variables. There is a fine line to how to get the best launch. Nobody knows yet with this car but it seems like the launch control would make it easier to get a good launch but it will certainly have to limit power from the engine to do it. So with a lot of practice, I am sure the absolute best times will come with the launch control off, but I think it will be pretty consistent with it on.

+11111111!

I am not the only sane person here!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
+11111111!

I am not the only sane person here!
some of the sane people are just getting up.....

and yes Rayhawk is 100% correct
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.norman View Post
As I understand it, with launch control it you set the revs for the best launch. I think you can change it yourself to get the best results.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Anyone with experience driving stick can launch just as well as a computer. Better, once they get used to the car.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As I understand it, with launch control it you set the revs for the best launch. I think you can change it yourself to get the best results.

if that is ALL it is it will be a big help. basically the equivalent to a 2-step. if it has to do with cutting engine power when slipping is sensed, or something similar it will be probably be worthless.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
if that is ALL it is it will be a big help. basically the equivalent to a 2-step. if it has to do with cutting engine power when slipping is sensed, or something similar it will be probably be worthless.
That would be traction control, which can be fully disengaged. When TC is off, it is OFF and won't interfere with what you are doing. I think the automatic transmission is the same way, when its in manual mode YOU shift the gears, it won't jump in when you don't want it it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote