Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #589
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Well I guess since I got COTW it is only fair that I post a mod! Lol last week I ordered some LSR Sway Bars and they arrived today. I went with LSR for a couple of reasons. One reason was they were on sale at the time with free shipping. Another reason is because they are made out of chrome-moly and chrome-moly is usually lighter than steel. Here is what they look like.

Today I decided to start with the easier of the two, the rear. O lord did I have a huge problem with that. I had so much trouble undoing the end-links from the sway bar. When I would untighten the nut everything would move with it. If the rest of the end link wasn't round it wouldn't of been a problem but it was near impossible to get a grip on it to stop it from moving but after an hr and a half I managed to get both un-hooked.

As you can see in this pic I had to use a pair of pliers and a death grip to hold the circular part stationary as I tried to under the nut. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I did however find it was a little easier to do when I hit the nut with a heat gun. Finally got the stock one off and put the LSR Rear sway bar on. I set it to the stiffest setting.

Here are some pics of it installed.

The black stuff on them is from the gloves I was using during the install.

I will say though that with just the rear sway bar in the car does handle better than before. It feels stiffer in the corners and doesn't seem like it will break loose. Can't wait to see how the car feelings with the front installed. I plan on doing that tomorrow morning before work. Now I weighed the LSR rear sway bar with the bushings and it weighed 8lbs. The stock sway bar and bushings weighed only 4.96lbs. I was expecting the stock to be more honestly. So far with the install of the sway bars I gained 3.04lbs. I wonder what the front sway bar will weigh, the LSR front sway is 7.58lbs, so a little lighter than the rear. I'm going to be going to a road course this Saturday so def want to get the front sway on ASAP. I am also going to the drag strip on Sunday to see if I can run some personal best times with the cooler air. Not sure how the sways will affect that, I doubt they will help too much.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #590
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
The mod fever never ends brother
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #591
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Good luck with installing the front and at the tracks!
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #592
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED DEMON SS View Post
The mod fever never ends brother
Ain't that the truth haha!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM   #593
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Hope the front goes on easier for you than the rear, or you will be later for work. The front was tricky as it needs to snake thru the openings. I found it easier to take the front right tire off. I am guessing that they weigh more as they are probably solid bars, and the stock ones are hollow. Good luck at the tracks and enjoy.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #594
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Hope the front goes on easier for you than the rear, or you will be later for work. The front was tricky as it needs to snake thru the openings. I found it easier to take the front right tire off. I am guessing that they weigh more as they are probably solid bars, and the stock ones are hollow. Good luck at the tracks and enjoy.
The front went on easier was just time consuming. The hardest part of the install I had was taking out the stock sway bar. The LSR one went in fine. I am at work right now so I can't make a post with pics and such but I can def tell you the car handles way better in the corners! Both sways are set to the stiffest setting will see how it handles for a couple days and I'll adjust them if need be. The LSR sway is only like half a lb heavier than the stock, don't remember the exact numbers but I have them written down at home so I'll def post them prob on Monday.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #595
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
congrats on COTW!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #596
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Gorgeous!!!
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #597
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
congrats on COTW!
Thank you very much! I love your IOM it is sick! Also thank you for the amazing sig pic it is awesome. I may have to ask you later if you can add "COTW 9/16/13" to it somewhere haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
Gorgeous!!!
Thank you very much! I love your vents they really pull everything together I feel. Great product!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #598
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
The front went on easier was just time consuming. The hardest part of the install I had was taking out the stock sway bar. The LSR one went in fine. I am at work right now so I can't make a post with pics and such but I can def tell you the car handles way better in the corners! Both sways are set to the stiffest setting will see how it handles for a couple days and I'll adjust them if need be. The LSR sway is only like half a lb heavier than the stock, don't remember the exact numbers but I have them written down at home so I'll def post them prob on Monday.
Alright time for some pics of the front sway bar installed. I was pretty bummed this weekend because on Saturday I was suppose to go to a road track but it was pouring out. I did end up going but the track was so wet it was hard to actually test out how the sway bars feel. I will say though that I have noticed I can take some corners a good 5-10MPH faster depending on the corner and I still feel like I could give it a little more without it breaking loose. Just like the rear I set the front sway bar to the stiffest setting.

Here is a pic of the stock front sway bar vs the LSR front sway bar:

Here are a couple of pics of the LSR front sway installed:

I weighed the stock front sway bar and the LSR and the stock one weighs 6.78lbs and the LSR one weighs in at 7.58lbs. That is only a gain of 0.8lbs. After finding out how much heavier the rear LSR bar was I thought the front would be just as heavy if not a little lighter. Was not expecting that. All in all though great upgrade wish I would have done it sooner. Now I just need to figure out what is next lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #599
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Awesome build man! Keep up the awesome work! I'm torn between dumping more money into my v6 or just paying it off and purchasing a V8 haha.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #600
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog89 View Post
Awesome build man! Keep up the awesome work! I'm torn between dumping more money into my v6 or just paying it off and purchasing a V8 haha.
Thank you very much. I have really grown attached to my v6 and plan on keeping it forever haha. Also the way I see it is everything I do is a learning experience to prepare me for when I get a 6th gen v8
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #601
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Thank you very much. I have really grown attached to my v6 and plan on keeping it forever haha. Also the way I see it is everything I do is a learning experience to prepare me for when I get a 6th gen v8
Exactly man! I'm never getting rid of my V6 either. The V8 will be an addition to the family

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #602
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Nice Iom 2LT/RS !!

just read thru all the pages, cool transformation
from new to current condition !

It would take me 10 years prolly
to do to mine what you have already done.
And Congrats on the COTW very well deserved ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12secbuild