Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Curious to see how these would be on the street. I can't imagine they're any better for wear compared to the Goodyear.

Quote:
Those ratings don't mean very much across tire brands. Each manufacturer sets their own ratings in relation to the tires they sell. Although it will wear fast, it may still outlast the OE setup
True, but softer compound usually means quicker wear. The BFG's also have less tread from the factory compared to the Goodyear. I really wish one of these factories would make a 315/30/20 to keep the overall height closer to stock. The 35 increases the height from 28.4" to 28.7" which is not that much; but still makes a difference.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
G2 after one day at the road course.

These are mine. Poor things were only one week old.
I read in the tire warranty book that when the tread lines on the outside are completely gone, that's when the tire is at its best. For grip and handling. But has nothing to due with wear. Only the inside tread lines reflect wear. These tire still look new and have not reached their best handling capability levels. A few more times around the track and they should start reaching maximum grip levels according to the description given in/with the tire warranty book. Let us know once all the outside tread is gone if you're able to get a faster lap time with about the same amount of gripping/traction. Can't wait to get my first lap in the books!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I read in the tire warranty book that when the tread lines on the outside are completely gone, that's when the tire is at its best. For grip and handling. But has nothing to due with wear. Only the inside tread lines reflect wear. These tire still look new and have not reached their best handling capability levels. A few more times around the track and they should start reaching maximum grip levels according to the description given in/with the tire warranty book. Let us know once all the outside tread is gone if you're able to get a faster lap time with about the same amount of gripping/traction. Can't wait to get my first lap in the books!
Thanks thats great info
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Normagene

jbotta, I really enjoyed your video and look forward to seeing more. I think I read where your mic will be in back by the exhaust. Can't wait to hear the sound of that going all the way into the red zone! Post a pic of your tires, they must have serious wear. How many miles do you get out of a set of these good years?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Curious to see how these would be on the street. I can't imagine they're any better for wear compared to the Goodyear.

True, but softer compound usually means quicker wear. The BFG's also have less tread from the factory compared to the Goodyear. I really wish one of these factories would make a 315/30/20 to keep the overall height closer to stock. The 35 increases the height from 28.4" to 28.7" which is not that much; but still makes a difference.
This what you're looking for?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
jbotta, I really enjoyed your video and look forward to seeing more. I think I read where your mic will be in back by the exhaust. Can't wait to hear the sound of that going all the way into the red zone! Post a pic of your tires, they must have serious wear. How many miles do you get out of a set of these good years?

2 track days on this tire, 3500 miles, still in great shape untill the nails 4 days before track day, I was in panic mode trying to get another before the weekend
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Normagene

Was watching an episode of "Fifth Gear" on bbc channel, and they were running a GTR trying to set a mileage record in one hour. But after only something like 12 miles the Run Flat Dunlap tire disintegrated and peeled apart. Those are the stock tires, but that had to have been a defective tire from the get go. Luckily it was a "run flat" tire, the blow out was instantaneous and they were traveling somewhere around 150 plus mph.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post

2 track days on this tire, 3500 miles, still in great shape untill the nails 4 days before track day, I was in panic mode trying to get another before the weekend

I have done that before with my other branded sticky tires on cars! If it makes you feel better it was brand a new Michelin factory pilot. In your video you stated torque settings for your wheels. I am curious why you torqued them down at "140ft/lbs" and the manual states 110ft/lbs?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
I have done that before with my other branded sticky tires on cars! If it makes you feel better it was brand a new Michelin factory pilot. In your video you stated torque settings for your wheels. I am curious why you torqued them down at "140ft/lbs" and the manual states 110ft/lbs?
140 lbs/ft is what the regular 20" wheels require - he probably just did 140 lbs/ft out of habit.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp ZL1 View Post
When car was brand new found a loose lug nut, I thought the 5 spoke rims were set for 140 need to investigate, Thanks for making me aware of this.