Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Being someone who threw an intake and headers on with no tune, I can speak on the subject. The CEL doesn't bother me, but now I really want pulleys so I'll have to tune anyway.

Point is you'll want more too. But that's okay.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #16
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
does cat delete void warranty? just trying to keep as much warranty as I can as I did have the supercharger replaced once already and im not convinced it wont need replaced again
Would void the emissions warranty, but the stock cats can always be bolted back into place of the catless midpipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
This is exactly what will happen. You'll need a tune or the light on the dash will always be on. Then if there is a real problem with another code you'll never know.
If you read and clear the codes regularly, there's nothing to worry about. If I recall correctly, the o2 codes don't come on for like 150 miles, and then go away for that long when you clear them. I deleted my cats last Friday night, and have driven a good bit, and still haven't thrown the code.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
does cat delete void warranty? just trying to keep as much warranty as I can as I did have the supercharger replaced once already and im not convinced it wont need replaced again
See, and that's the thing. Is gaining another 40 to 70 rwhp (just guessing) worth blowing your warranty? I wouldn't think so.

Trust me, I think about taking that first plunge with modding mine and gaining more HP. I then remind myself what could happen if something in the engine lets go then I'd have to face the reality of David Maus telling me to take a hike as far as getting it repaired under warranty. I'm not in any financial positions to shell out thousands upon thousands of $$$ to replace anything that lets go within my car's engine. It's nice having peace of mind knowing GM has to take care of my power train for 5 years/100,000 miles.

Also, my car has more than enough power for what I need. After all, it's pretty rare I ever come across something on the highway that can out run me anyway so what's the point in gaining more power but also voiding my warranty?

There comes a point to where I tell myself enough is enough. My car has enough power for what I need so I'm content. Heck, I'm just happy to own a ZL1. Most of my family and friends already think I'm Donald Trump for having such a high end car. lol
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
See, and that's the thing. Is gaining another 40 to 70 rwhp (just guessing) worth blowing your warranty? I wouldn't think so.

Trust me, I think about taking that first plunge with modding mine and gaining more HP. I then remind myself what could happen if something in the engine lets go then I'd have to face the reality of David Maus telling me to take a hike as far as getting it repaired under warranty. I'm not in any financial positions to shell out thousands upon thousands of $$$ to replace anything that lets go within my car's engine. It's nice having peace of mind knowing GM has to take care of my power train for 5 years/100,000 miles.

Also, my car has more than enough power for what I need. After all, it's pretty rare I ever come across something on the highway that can out run me anyway so what's the point in gaining more power but also voiding my warranty?

There comes a point to where I tell myself enough is enough. My car has enough power for what I need so I'm content. Heck, I'm just happy to own a ZL1. Most of my family and friends already think I'm Donald Trump for having such a high end car. lol
lol, not sure what highway you drive on ozz but to my surprise ive had my ass handed to me more than once street and strip in my ZL-1 in the last year. its really not about the h.p gain (yea right lol) I just want it a little louder than the fuse pull makes it.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Being someone who threw an intake and headers on with no tune, I can speak on the subject. The CEL doesn't bother me, but now I really want pulleys so I'll have to tune anyway.

Point is you'll want more too. But that's okay.
how many miles with intake and headers no tune? im used to yellow lights in my dash since I usually drive in ptm 5
Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #20
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post

did Maus force the zaktech wax on you when you bought the car? looked at 2 ZL-1's there last week and they both already had that 1200$ wax job added on. I told them we as Camaro owners would prefer to choose to have that or not. salesman also tried to push the limited edition pitch on me (only 500 ZL-1's per year). I laughed at him and asked how I had #565 for 2012 and why the 2 on the lot are over #7000 for '13 if only 500 per year. I then educated him about sequential vin #'s too.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
All this warranty talk is why I just stopped with the HF cats. I got a nice power feel gain and the sound increase is awesome. It's a little louder than stock at cruise, but when you kick it the sound gets very loud and people will know your coming. Kinda cool !!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #22
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Would void the emissions warranty, but the stock cats can always be bolted back into place of the catless midpipes.

If you read and clear the codes regularly, there's nothing to worry about. If I recall correctly, the o2 codes don't come on for like 150 miles, and then go away for that long when you clear them. I deleted my cats last Friday night, and have driven a good bit, and still haven't thrown the code.

can you post pics of your cat delete setup? what did you do with the wiring and sensors?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
All this warranty talk is why I just stopped with the HF cats. I got a nice power feel gain and the sound increase is awesome. It's a little louder than stock at cruise, but when you kick it the sound gets very loud and people will know your coming. Kinda cool !!!

trading cats for cats is not an option for me. if I mess with them theyre going altogether.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Corvette GTO tuner in Tampa Orlando Bradenton Brandon

The vehicles come from the factory rather rich and normally 4-6 degrees of acceptable knock retard in GM's world.

In the calibration world, we shoot for no knock retarding of the spark tables even if it makes a couple horsepower less. And really to me, making 5 HP less and having the car safer to drive is what I like to do.

If you want to be extra safe because your in doubt, take your car to a dyno and have them do a couple pulls with a wideband attached where your front 02 bug is located. That will cost you $50-100 bucks for a couple pulls.

If your AFR at WOT is in the mid to upper 10's, you should be rich enough to support headers. If your in the mid 11s in the stock configuration, well that's where I like forced induction vehicles to be after calibration.

If your were a LS3/L99 Id say yes your rich enough to support headers without a tune. The LSAs are a little different because they force air.

Ive see guys selling 75 HP gain packages with pulley changes without a tune for the LSA, and I say to myself your crazy for buying a 75 HP gain without a tune.

Most of the time I see codes from moving the rear O2s, or using the extender harness for the front O2s and the voltage has changed in the signal from the front O2 to the computer and can throw the 1153/1133 codes.

So give you're self some peace of mind and do a couple pulls and check your AFR. Then you'll have a baseline anyway.

Phil
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
joes407

I will keep you posted as I plan on doing this in the next week or so. I will post the afr numbers from the base line pull.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
I will keep you posted as I plan on doing this in the next week or so. I will post the afr numbers from the base line pull.
Joe - you just need to follow my lead and change out headers, pulleys, the lot!

Otherwise you'll not be able to keep up with me at the strip haha!!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #27
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post

Great Advice !!! Go big or go home is what I say!!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #28
joes407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post

im hoping my skill will compensate for your mods im going to push the envelope with no tune and see if I can get to 550 rwhp without blowing my warranty just yet. I went from 499 to 520 with just the chiller, since then I added roto fab and next week headers