Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #71
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrvr View Post
I just say get over it. I mean NONE OF YOU cared when you didn't know about it right? Well for those who own 2010 cars...just pretend it doesn't exist. You were perfectly fine without it.

Just be happy with what you have...nothing is perfect in life, and when you add a huge company into the equation are they going to make it easier for you ALL the time? Hell no. Of course they DO make things better for the customer, but not 100% of the time. I like it better anyway having to actually walk up to my car and lock the doors. Something about putting the key in the door, turning it and hearing all the locks lock at once. Yeah, sometimes you forget but hey...it happens. You just go back and lock it. It's all luxury, not necessity. Owning a car in itself is a privilege, not a right, but it seems that more and more think it is. That's all I have to say. I know a lot of you will disagree but if you do, be nice about it. Don't do or or any of those. Just address is in a nice calm way. I've stated my opinion just as you have.
GM should also look at having us as customers as a privilege and not a right. We spent our hard earned money and bought a brand new "state of the art" car from them, in their "darkest hour". There are a ton of car companies to pick from and every year the car market is getting more and more competitive. Hell even Hyundai is now considered a threat to GM.

Again GM should be lucky to have customers like us, this is no way of saying thanks!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #72
chevydrvr

Drives: fast.
You are right about the rights and privilege thing. Bu i still believe that sometimes there isn't anything you can do about it.

In this case maybe you can upgrade the onstar in your 2010.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #73
nashstat

Quote:
You are right about the rights and privilege thing. Bu i still believe that sometimes there isn't anything you can do about it.

In this case maybe you can upgrade the onstar in your 2010.
I agree with you. Nothing we can do. Out of our hands!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #74
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Onstar currently can NOT stop nor start an engine.

They CAN currently disengage the starter so it won't start and they CAN reduce the flow of gas though the fuel pump to limit the speed of the car.

This NOT just a software issue, it is a hardware issue as well as the current hardware is NOT connected nor set up to do this. You can issue software updates all you like but until the hardware is physically connected to the devices the commends go to, the commends will do NOTHING.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #75
chevydrvr

^ What's what I was basically saying. What's the difference between hardware and software anyway? Don't want to get off topic though.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #76
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Onstar currently can NOT stop nor start an engine.

They CAN currently disengage the starter so it won't start and they CAN reduce the flow of gas though the fuel pump to limit the speed of the car.

This NOT just a software issue, it is a hardware issue as well as the current hardware is NOT connected nor set up to do this. You can issue software updates all you like but until the hardware is physically connected to the devices the commends go to, the commends will do NOTHING.
Ok, this I can accept. So give us pre-2011 folks an app that can do the other things...

GPS tracking to within 50 yards
sound the alarm/honk the horn
tell you if your tire pressure is low
Lock/Unlock your vehicle remotely

I would be happy with these app features. Anyone else? Can someone copy and paste this to the onstar facebook page. I'm sure most people would be happy with these features on a phone app.

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #77
nashstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Ok, this I can accept. So give us pre-2011 folks an app that can do the other things...

GPS tracking to within 50 yards
sound the alarm/honk the horn
tell you if your tire pressure is low
Lock/Unlock your vehicle remotely

I would be happy with these app features. Anyone else? Can someone copy and paste this to the onstar facebook page. I'm sure most people would be happy with these features on a phone app.
Yup would be more than happy with this set of features!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #78
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
^ What's what I was basically saying. What's the difference between hardware and software anyway? Don't want to get off topic though.
Hardware is a physical component or connection that you can actually touch.

Software is a computer program that tells the hardware what to do.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #79
chevydrvr

Oh it makes sense, HARDware is well, hard and a physical thing. Software is well, not hard. That's just how i'll remember it.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #80
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Because thats a $700 alarm system that many people don't want to buy when this package is ALREADY BUILT IN WITH NAVIGATION AND EVERYTHING. Why would you want to pay to install something that is built in for free? I like OnStar, I like the features, I pay for it yearly, I do not want to install another system in my car, nor do I want to pay for an extra box and service when I am already paying for OnStar. And before you say "well then cancel OnStar and get the new service" I don't want to have a stupid GPS hanging off my dash, I like the integration of the OnStar directions into my car.

PS I still think its possible that there is a perfectly good reason why this doesn't work, but unfortunately we don't know the true technical reason yet (or ever??).
Technically we do pay for it in the total price of the Camaro I do agree with everything you have said however there really is no perfectly good reason why GM cannot hire somebody to write a program added to the flash memory of the Onstar device in order to support this feature.Keeping all this silent makes it worse.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Technically we do pay for it in the total price of the Camaro I do agree with everything you have said however there really is no perfectly good reason why GM cannot hire somebody to write a program added to the flash memory of the Onstar device in order to support this feature.Keeping all this silent makes it worse.

writing the software DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD if the items arent actually connected to the system in such a way that they can be controlled (starter, for example... if it's not interfaced to OnStar, it does no good to give OnStar programming for the starter.)
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #82
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I just wish we could get a technical answer other than "...... generation 9 hardware...." as to why it doesn't work. Then at least someone like you who has experience in the field can say "ohh yeah I guess so" or "hire me because I could fix that shit".
There are about a dozen users in these threads with direct experience working on projects similar to OnStar. Input from across the world says that the "Gen 9 hardware" meme is purely a marketing "excuse". No one can fathom a technical reason why the majority of features of this App cannot run on a 2010 Camaro.

Several people who (unlike those of us who have direct hardware and software design experience with the Verizon Cellular Module) defend the position of GM have so far parroted the "They say it needs Gen 9 hardware, so we KNOW that they are telling the truth" commentary.

I say the burden of proof lies with OnStar to get one of their masterminds here to explain to us why the Gen 8 hardware is incapable of this functionality.

I guarantee you they will never give an explanation because there is none.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #83
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatin0n18s View Post
HAHAHA seriously? Soe of you guys are that upset about an pllication for your hone?So what ifou can' get it you still have a CARO, get te sand out from down here andstop being wuses. I they wanna be lazy and not bring it to 2010 users, so be it. Im sill nt wly oviced they could give t to yall if they wanted.

I on't ve smart pne bwait....shouldn't they make it work on my phone too!? that' nly fa!mad0259: Just bause i bought it lastar and its not compatile withhs new app,LG poe services bette ve e a pone that works with he or ya knowwhat im noii the y mney nymore! Its just not fair you guys!:bellyrollSeriously to get oer i it's not he nd of the world.
What was that? Your message was garbled. I think your dial-up connection is bad. Try switching to 1200 baud or try calling in on your Tracfone.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #84
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
So why not just set up a shortcut (or whatever on the iPhone) that calls OnStar and then ask them to do the stuff for you? It isn't as simple as pressing a button since you'll have to talk to somebody, but it still has the same end state. Hell, if you call enough times maybe they will make it available for the 2010 models.
I proposed in anouther thread that we all just start flooding their call center with requests to beep the horn and lock and unlock.

Closed Thread