Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #505
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Lots of GM people said it will be the most expensive camaro offered, dont forget in your price breakdown the wheels tires suspension
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #506
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
Hemm...I wonder what it would cost...

2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE (from build and price - base) - $37,550.00

OK. $14,000.00 for the engine + $2449 for the front accessory drive (so $16,450.00 - I was looking to see about putting one of these in a car once).

So someone said somewhere that the brakes are like $10,000.00, right?

I can't imagine the cost of the rest of the options like the lighter glass (Which has to withstand all of the bumps rattles and shifts the car goes through while still being lighter and removing the a/c)

Just being a 1LE + LS7 + Ceramic Brakes + FADK...

$37,550 + $16,450 + 10,000 = 64,000.00 (rounded off a little).

$64,000.00. And that's without figuring out the rest of the parts and labor that went into making this car work. Ladies and Gentlemen I would say that the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 will be at least 69,995 (they will want to make a profit on it - they are a business).

Expect to pay 70,000.00 for the car.

That's my guess.

P.S there are several reports out there on the internet - interviews with various GM people - that state that the Z/28 will be more expensive than the ZL1. I'd love to track them down for you but I figure where is the fun in that?
Al O. said it during an interview, which one I don't know.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #507
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Hemm...I wonder what it would cost...

2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE (from build and price - base) - $37,550.00

OK. $14,000.00 for the engine + $2449 for the front accessory drive (so $16,450.00 - I was looking to see about putting one of these in a car once).

I can't imagine the cost of the rest of the options like the lighter glass (Which has to withstand all of the bumps rattles and shifts the car goes through while still being lighter and removing the a/c)

Just being a 1LE + LS7 + Ceramic Brakes + FADK...

$37,550 + $16,450 + 10,000 = 64,000.00 (rounded off a little).

$64,000.00. And that's without figuring out the rest of the parts and labor that went into making this car work. Ladies and Gentlemen I would say that the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 will be at least 69,995 (they will want to make a profit on it - they are a business).

Expect to pay 70,000.00 for the car.

That's my guess.

P.S there are several reports out there on the internet - interviews with various GM people - that state that the Z/28 will be more expensive than the ZL1. I'd love to track them down for you but I figure where is the fun in that?
Just remember the prices you are using above are not their costs but have a profit already built in. GM won't be paying those prices.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #508
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
Just remember the prices you are using above are not their costs but have a profit already built in. GM won't be paying those prices.
GM won't be but you will. Remember Fbodfather said to get the car approved it HAS TO RETURN A PROFIT.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #509
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
GM won't be but you will. Remember Fbodfather said to get the car approved it HAS TO RETURN A PROFIT.
Agreed, however he is using retail prices in his calculations, then adding in more profit on top of the retail parts price.
It will be expensive no doubt.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #510
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Old 11-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #511
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

I don't see how the carbon ceramic brakes could add $10k alone. The Z06 got new wheels and tires, cc brakes and magnetic dampers as part of a $9.5k option.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #512
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
He has also not taken into consideration that the new parts replace 1LE parts; LS3, Brakes,...This would bring the price back down.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #513
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Al O. said it during an interview, which one I don't know.
Jay Leno's Garage.
DDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #514
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
Price

Now I don't disagree that that manager is probably way off, I'm looking at the mid to high 50's, lets say 57,500.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #515
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
He has also not taken into consideration that the new parts replace 1LE parts; LS3, Brakes,...This would bring the price back down.
This thought is nice - but that's not usally how a business works. Most places will just take an existing product and modify it and then claim it's more expensive because of the modifications to the existing product.

Again, if you read carefully the post at the top of page 21 in this thread, you will notice that there is mention of "cost" for the removal of an A/C system. If the A/C system was being taken out - wouldn't they discount that instead of it "costing" the consumer? I know you are going to say, "but they have to make block off plates - etc, etc."

The cost of the modifications shouldn't outweigh the removal of the system outright - but it will in the long run depending on how the modifications are made to the base product. If they have to stamp new firewalls and new fenders to remove any holes that existed previous to allow the A/C system, the cost will go up substantially because they will pass the creation of new dies and machinery to use them on to the consumer.

It would be nice if a product could start from scratch and just be built whole - cost would probably go down for a lot of existing parts, but then would quality suffer in the long run? Just another good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
Agreed, however he is using retail prices in his calculations, then adding in more profit on top of the retail parts price.
It will be expensive no doubt.
I'm just following the advice of someone who posted here to arrive at a conclusion. I don't think there was any mention of taking the "GM Cost" of the 1LE and going from there. Otherwise I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't see how the carbon ceramic brakes could add $10k alone. The Z06 got new wheels and tires, cc brakes and magnetic dampers as part of a $9.5k option.
Wilwood carbon ceramic brake kit (yes it's for a mustang but you get the idea) - $7,162.39
Oh and that's just for the FRONT brakes, no rears.

I bet you could tack on another 7k for rear carbon-ceramic brakes (14k? geez).

edit: here's a USED Porsche carbon-ceramic full kit (front and rear) on ebay for only 9449.00. USED. dayum.

I would bet near anything that when they built the car the justification of "look how expensive carbon-ceramic brake kits are, we can tack that WHOLE NUMBER onto the price!" in order to "turn a profit".

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the exact words spoken.

Last edited by WCFB-Russ; 11-02-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Condensing
WCFB-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #516
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
This thought is nice - but that's not usally how a business works. Most places will just take an existing product and modify it and then claim it's more expensive because of the modifications to the existing product.

Again, if you read carefully the post at the top of page 21 in this thread, you will notice that there is mention of "cost" for the removal of an A/C system. If the A/C system was being taken out - wouldn't they discount that instead of it "costing" the consumer? I know you are going to say, "but they have to make block off plates - etc, etc."

The cost of the modifications shouldn't outweigh the removal of the system outright - but it will in the long run depending on how the modifications are made to the base product. If they have to stamp new firewalls and new fenders to remove any holes that existed previous to allow the A/C system, the cost will go up substantially because they will pass the creation of new dies and machinery to use them on to the consumer.

It would be nice if a product could start from scratch and just be built whole - cost would probably go down for a lot of existing parts, but then would quality suffer in the long run? Just another good question.

I'm just following the advice of someone who posted here to arrive at a conclusion. I don't think there was any mention of taking the "GM Cost" of the 1LE and going from there. Otherwise I would have.

Wilwood carbon ceramic brake kit (yes it's for a mustang but you get the idea) - $7,162.39
Oh and that's just for the FRONT brakes, no rears.

I bet you could tack on another 7k for rear carbon-ceramic brakes (14k? geez).

edit: here's a USED Porsche carbon-ceramic full kit (front and rear) on ebay for only 9449.00. USED. dayum.

I would bet near anything that when they built the car the justification of "look how expensive carbon-ceramic brake kits are, we can tack that WHOLE NUMBER onto the price!" in order to "turn a profit".

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if these were the exact words spoken.

If that was true, how do you explain the 1LE package only being $3,500? New forged wheels, high performance tires, suspension upgrades, new transmission, oil and trans cooler, new rear gears and hood wrap would be more than that if you priced them out individually.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #517
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If that was true, how do you explain the 1LE package only being $3,500? New forged wheels, high performance tires, suspension upgrades, new transmission, oil and trans cooler, new rear gears and hood wrap would be more than that if you priced them out individually.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #518
Camaros & Coffee Norcal

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS & 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Let's play a game. Everyone guess what the Z28's base price will be. It's probably going to be a while before that is released but it will be fun to see what everyone thinks and to see who was closest when it's finally released.

I'm going to say $69,995 including destination and gas guzzler tax, before options.

edit: Keep in mind that GM has already said that the Z/28 will be positioned above the ZL1.
Camaros & Coffee Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote