Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #71
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton006 View Post
So I got my car back today. Long story very short is that I took a ride along with the service tech and the service manager and he was putting the car through the paces more than I would. He couldn't get it to grind at all. Out of the 8-10 times I shifted like that I got it to grind once (and it didn't really grind, but just kinda caught the gear). The other guy was shifting a LOT harder than I was and the car moved like the demon it should be.

So this could very well be driver error on my part to a certain degree. They mentioned that there could be some wear on that gear and that if it starts happening more frequently that I should bring it in (which it doesn't do it a lot right now). They have enough history to guarantee that they won't chalk it up to any abuse problem.

I guess I should put more miles on it and wait and see. I'll need to watch my driving habits and how I sit in the car should help a bit. This is my 5th manual but first short throw shifter. There could be some truth in that my reaction time is too slow. I know this is not the case for most people or probably everyone else on here, but it's hard to argue with them in my case that I didn't play a role in it.
very well could be driver error in this case, no shame there though. no one is perfect and i think we have all missed shifts from time to time. my car is definitely screwed though i can hold my clutch pedal to the floor and that damn tranny will not go into second, nothing but grind. weird too because it shifts and drives fine otherwise. only on a high rpm shift it wont go into second.
IDEALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #72
clayton006

Drives: 2011 2SS Black M6
I think I keep speaking too soon. I still think something isn't right with this transmission. Doesn't feel right until its warmed up to the middle of the gauge. I'm either going to take it to a different dealer or call GM customer service. I know when I granny shift it sometime it pushes back out of gear in 2nd like it doesn't want to go in.
clayton006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #73
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
I think I keep speaking too soon. I still think something isn't right with this transmission. Doesn't feel right until its warmed up to the middle of the gauge. I'm either going to take it to a different dealer or call GM customer service. I know when I granny shift it sometime it pushes back out of gear in 2nd like it doesn't want to go in.
i would try a different dealer then, and calling GM customer service is a good idea the more complaints the better.

When i take my car in on thursday I'm going to ask my friend there to look into the ZL1 tranny and hydraulics and see if they are different or upgraded. maybe we could get those installed in our cars.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #74
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

OK I think i've found my problem. I've been dealing with this second gear grinding for quite some time now and all i do all day long is talk about second gear grinding. I've had my trans in and out at least a dozen times already with trans rebuilds and clutch/pressure plate changes.
Today my dad and I were ready to remove the trans again and try shimming out the slave cylinder but we determined that wouldnt help one damn bit. The shims are a joke they do absolutely nothing and after arguing with my dad about this i was finally convinced that he was right and the shims wont do a damn thing. we've done alot of measuring and testing the throw of the clutch pedal and slave cylinder throw. So i wanted to take him for a ride in my car and show him exactly how and when it grinds second gear. Right before he got in the car i noticed my husky liner weather floor mats go up under the clutch pedal so i pushed the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and it hits the floor mats. So i thought maybe that tiny tiny bit of floor mat in the way of the clutch pedal was enough to hang up the clutch . we took the car for a ride still with the floor mats in place, wound out first gear to 6000 rpm smashed the clutch pedal to the floor and shifted into second without it grinding. I did it three time and the trans was cold. tomorrow its suppose to be nice so i'll take the car out for a ride get the trans nice and hot and try it again over and over to be sure.
I'm 99% convinced that the problem lies in the clutch master cylinder. It just doesnt flow enough and you have to make sure that you push the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor hard to completely disengage the clutch at high rpms. This grind issue has drove me nuts. My first trans i couldnt shift above 3500 rpm so there was definitely something wrong with that trans but this new trans shifts fine it was only at high rpms (5000 rpm or higher) when i would get the grind and i believe it was because i needed that little bit extra leverage on the clutch pedal that my floor mat was stopping.

Those of you having problems with your transmission under 4000 rpm i suggest you take it to the dealer and have them replace the whole trans.

Those of you that have grinding into second only at high rpms I believe its the clutch master cylinder and we need to get someone to make us a new master cylinder that flows more.

When I take my car out tomorrow and test it again to be 100% positive i'll repost for you .
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #75
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #76
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Even though I do have the grind... mine happens anytime I try to shift quickly above 3000rpm when the trans is warm, lower rpms than that when it is cold. I have a stock short throw shifter.

I'm hoping when I tell them I want a replacement car they can let me get the ZL1 for all my trouble :-D

That sounds like you need to learn to shift.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #77
clayton006

Could be but also when granny shifting when it's cold it grinds as well. If I try to shift any slower ill probably forget what gear I'm trying to go into in the morning.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #78
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Well I'm done with my testing. I took the car out this morning and the tranny was very cold at start up just a tad over 30 degrees. The trans was tight and notchy at first but this is normal with this trans when its that cold. I drove it around for awhile and as the trans warmed up the shifting became a lot easier and back to normal. once the trans was hot I beat the hell out of her and didnt grind it once because i smashed the clutch pedal to the floor. If i dont really hit that pedal hard to the floor at high rpm shifting it will grind.

So therefore i am 100% convinced that the problem lies in the hydraulics of this beast. We need a better master cylinder

Not much more to say about this, someone needs to make us a better master cylinder that flows a little more fluid.

Keisler Engineering did a custom master cylinder and slave cylinder combination for a camaro. its in this thread somewhere look back someone sent me the link for the videos, anyway if no one else comes out with a master cylinder soon i think we should all call keisler and ask them to make a kit for us.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #79
clayton006

Keep me posted. I normally don't shift quickly like this but its eating me in the back of my head knowing the car may / may not be running well.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #80
Waterboy2b98
Waterboy2B98

Drives: 11 2SS M6.
Took my Camaro in for second gear grind today. They said it only grinds under mid to heavy throttle, not every shift attempt, so they will not even open it up to see if there is a problem. It sucks because I just bought my Camaro, and not I cant even drive it the way I want?? Anyone else got the same response as I did from the dealer?
Waterboy2b98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #81
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy2b98 View Post
Took my Camaro in for second gear grind today. They said it only grinds under mid to heavy throttle, not every shift attempt, so they will not even open it up to see if there is a problem. It sucks because I just bought my Camaro, and not I cant even drive it the way I want?? Anyone else got the same response as I did from the dealer?
It took me 3 times to the dealer to get them to open up the transmission and I think that I have a very good service department. The problem is, this is a known issue with no real "GM Approved" fix. I would call Customer Service and tell them what you are being told. They have been extremely helpful for me and keep calling to see what the deal with my car is and if I think that the dealer is doing everything they can to remedy the situation.

BTW, I should have my Halle back today!!! Wish me luck...
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #82
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy2b98 View Post
take it to a different dealer
Old 03-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #83
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZ-ARO View Post
It took me 3 times to the dealer to get them to open up the transmission and I think that I have a very good service department. The problem is, this is a known issue with no real "GM Approved" fix. I would call Customer Service and tell them what you are being told. They have been extremely helpful for me and keep calling to see what the deal with my car is and if I think that the dealer is doing everything they can to remedy the situation.

BTW, I should have my Halle back today!!! Wish me luck...
keep us posted
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #84
Abstrak

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro LS / Team LFX
I have an auto but this thread is very intriguing sorry you guys have to go jump through these hoops.
Abstrak is offline   Reply With Quote