Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Gonna IPF her!

Took a little drive down to Tempe, AZ and met the guys at IPF in person.

Jesse's just as nice in person, and everyone at the shop is personable and very capable.

What surprised me the most was their 'run of mill' customers- they must be the ultra rich and Saudi shieks!

The facility is full of exotic machinery- Porches (no not 911's, I'm talkin' 959's, 997's, stuff i just recognize as way out of my price range), Ferari's, and we had to move an Audi R8 with twin turbo's off the dyno (a very nice Mustang all wheel drive that produced smooth tracings even on my car) to put my Chevy 6 banger on it!

It seems the infamous chip in our LLT's is just what those European manufacturers have been using for some time and IPF's home company is based there, hence their greater understanding of it's coding.

IPF's inhouse guru is Tod and he spent a good deal of time and multiple (7 or 8) dyno runs acquiring needed data. I could see he is very concientious and only does things right.

Now for the good stuff-

Baseline dyno on my car as delivered was 267 peak hp (i know-I know, its a Mustang, but you still hope for more!).

Baseline peak torque was a bit more to my liking, 271 ftlbs.

No dips or slips in either curve that I saw.

The other bit of info I picked up later was that before the S/C IPF tune could be installed, my car had to be returned to stock tune, and I was very surprised to hear that it made 15 hp more than it had been making with my Trifecta tune!

I was not present for these runs and have not seen the graphs- so I don't know if there were any other adverse effects on the power delivery, or if my torque reading took a hit, etc...

Jesse has promised to make these available to me and of course tomorrow we'll be doing the post S/C install dyno runs.

Graphs and hard data to follow...
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Very cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Wow....now this is very cool. Congrats.

A couple things:

1) A little low on that initial HP reading, but hey we are used to it by now lol. TQ is definitely high but again no biggie.

2) It made more power after the Trifecta tune was removed? Now that one just really gets me. Don't take that the wrong way...I'd just love to see more details about this. Curiousity kills the cat as they say lol.

Are you sure it was on the stock tune, or with the IPF tune? If it was stock tune, are they going to dyno it with the IPF tune as well before installing your kit? I really think they should if they haven't considered it and you may want to ask them about that. I'd love to see these graphs for all the runs!

Can't wait to see more.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Wow....now this is very cool. Congrats.

A couple things:

1) A little low on that initial HP reading, but hey we are used to it by now lol. TQ is definitely high but again no biggie.

2) It made more power after the Trifecta tune was removed? Now that one just really gets me. Don't take that the wrong way...I'd just love to see more details about this. Curiousity kills the cat as they say lol.

Are you sure it was on the stock tune, or with the IPF tune? If it was stock tune, are they going to dyno it with the IPF tune as well before installing your kit? I really think they should if they haven't considered it and you may want to ask them about that. I'd love to see these graphs for all the runs!

Can't wait to see more.
I've actually been told by a few reliable members that this might be the case. I'm actually looking to test this at the track. Only thing I've been trying to confirm is if the car needs some adjustment time between the tune and no tune.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post

Jesse's just as nice in person, and everyone at the shop is personable and very capable.

What surprised me the most was their 'run of mill' customers- they must be the ultra rich and Saudi shieks!

The facility is full of exotic machinery- Porches (no not 911's, I'm talkin' 959's, 997's, stuff i just recognize as way out of my price range), Ferari's, and we had to move an Audi R8 with twin turbo's off the dyno (a very nice Mustang all wheel drive that produced smooth tracings even on my car) to put my Chevy 6 banger on it!

It seems the infamous chip in our LLT's is just what those European manufacturers have been using for some time and IPF's home company is based there, hence their greater understanding of it's coding.

IPF's inhouse guru is Tod and he spent a good deal of time and multiple (7 or 8) dyno runs acquiring needed data. I could see he is very concientious and only does things right.

Now for the good stuff-

Baseline dyno on my car as delivered was 267 peak hp (i know-I know, its a Mustang, but you still hope for more!).

The other bit of info I picked up later was that before the S/C IPF tune could be installed, my car had to be returned to stock tune, and I was very surprised to hear that it made 15 hp more than it had been making with my Trifecta tune!

I was not present for these runs and have not seen the graphs- so I don't know if there were any other adverse effects on the power delivery, or if my torque reading took a hit, etc...

Jesse has promised to make these available to me and of course tomorrow we'll be doing the post S/C install dyno runs.

Congrats man!!! You must be extremely excited!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
I don't see how its going to make more power with the stock tune, unless of course the Trifecta tune you had was very bad. Did they monitor your afr on the pulls?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
It always takes some time for things to settle in after you change a tune. You need to drive it a bit and let things like the LTFT settle back in. It may be that after 20-30 miles on the stock tune it would have lost some power.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:

Now for the good stuff-

Congrats man! I'll get you added to the FI List as soon as I can.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Fr3e4gent

Drives: 1LT, Very First LLT Supercharged v6
Quote:

Now for the good stuff-

Congrats, I live in Tempe too. I love seeing the cars that they have coming by the shop every now and then. They had a lambo 2 weeks ago a blacked out CTS-V and some bmw's with roll cages.

Jesse is a really swell guy

Have you ever gone up to Scottsdale to the Pavillons Car Shows? Off of Indian School next to the McDonalds?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Congrats
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
Just redoing the same tune I can feel a difference right after!

It resets the ECU, Its like doing a fuse pull.

But Gratz on the FI
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
How many data logs did you send into trifeca? If they do exotic cars the little V6 should be no problem? right?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Agree with everyone that immediately after a change an increase can occur that's short lived.

I've data logged 3 times over the years- and full disclosure would be that I don't think I did after adding the ported IM (most recent mod).
However, since none of my other changes ever prompted an update, I didn't feel it necessary to log then.

Wish I had the presence of mind to suggest they throw on the N/A IPF tune while the car was on the dyno- but I basically drove all night to have the car there at 8am and I was DOA in the brain!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Agree with everyone that immediately after a change an increase can occur that's short lived.

I've data logged 3 times over the years- and full disclosure would be that I don't think I did after adding the ported IM (most recent mod).
However, since none of my other changes ever prompted an update, I didn't feel it necessary to log then.

Wish I had the presence of mind to suggest they throw on the N/A IPF tune while the car was on the dyno- but I basically drove all night to have the car there at 8am and I was DOA in the brain!
That's understandable. Regardless, you will love your new found POWA!