Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Anyone with PIRELLI Warranty dealer claims?

Hi Guys,
I've had a blister this weekend on my Pirelli tires. One mechanic told me it can't be repaired so I need to replace it, is it cover under warranty from my dealer? I only have 5005 miles on them...

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelboily View Post
Hi Guys,
I've had a blister this weekend on my Pirelli tires. One mechanic told me it can't be repaired so I need to replace it, is it cover under warranty from my dealer? I only have 5005 miles on them...
Only covered if you got the additional Rim and Tire warranty. They are not covered under the normal factory warranty.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Only covered if you got the additional Rim and Tire warranty. They are not covered under the normal factory warranty.
Wrong.

Tires are covered, bring the car straight to your dealer.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ty/milford.jsp
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
The Roc

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Thumbs up Very NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Wrong.

Tires are covered, bring the car straight to your dealer.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ty/milford.jsp
Good to know! It's amazing to me how dealers will always try to get out of little things like that!
The Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
killerkhatiby009

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
So are you guys saying that if I get a flat tire I can get the dealer to replace it for free if its under 36,000 miles/36 months? Because I am in a similar situation I was driving and hit a bump and my tires popped completely beyond repair, I took it to a mechanic who said that the tire cannot be fixed and must be replaced. They also told me that if you use the sealant that comes with the camaro it ruins the tire and you have to replace it, which I had used but he said that even if I hadn't they would have to replace it anyway because the damage was too much.

The hit was only going at about 20miles per hour so I really dont think it should have caused this much damage to the tire. But if it doesnt really cover damage to the tire what does it cover under the warranty?
killerkhatiby009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Only thing I do know for sure is the sealant will not ruin the tire. That's old school. Sealant like fix a flat used to ruin the tire. But the formula they have now for most (not saying all) will not ruin the tire. The mechanic is wrong on that part.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
killerkhatiby009

So the 2010 Camaro's sealant shouldnt ruin the tire if used?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
cowjazz

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkhatiby009 View Post
So are you guys saying that if I get a flat tire I can get the dealer to replace it for free if its under 36,000 miles/36 months? Because I am in a similar situation I was driving and hit a bump and my tires popped completely beyond repair, I took it to a mechanic who said that the tire cannot be fixed and must be replaced. They also told me that if you use the sealant that comes with the camaro it ruins the tire and you have to replace it, which I had used but he said that even if I hadn't they would have to replace it anyway because the damage was too much.

The hit was only going at about 20miles per hour so I really dont think it should have caused this much damage to the tire. But if it doesnt really cover damage to the tire what does it cover under the warranty?
I believe what is being said is if it is a manufacturing defect in the tire, you are covered under the tire manufacturer's warranty. If a road hazard causes the tire damage you are going out of pocket unless you purchased an optional road hazard policy on the tires.
cowjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
killerkhatiby009

Yes but GM/Chevy also state that tires are covered in the bumper to bumper warranty not just the tire manufacturer's warranty. But wouldn't you think it was a defective tire if a small bump in the road caused the tire to blow out completely? and it was at a low speed as well, I've hit bumps as hard and harder with other cars and no damage at all was done. Im quite tight for money right now and I'm just trying to get this replaced as cheap as possible and free would be great.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkhatiby009 View Post

Well GM's website says the factory tires are warrantied up to 3 year/12,000 miles and only against defects. So if you can convince your dealer that it was defective then yes.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
killerkhatiby009

Yea thats what I am going to try to do because honestly it really shouldn't have blown out under these conditions. Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I'm really not sure what a defect in a tire would even be that the warranty will cover lol I really hate warranties and their limitations being so misleading.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Also another thing, from Pirelli's site.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/car-su...d/default.page

What Is Not Covered By The Warranty?

* P-Metric tires used on commercial vehicles or used in commercial applications.
* Tires transferred from the vehicle on which they were originally installed.
* Tires on any vehicle registered and normally operated outside the United States of America or Canada.
* Tires which have been recapped, or retreaded, or regrooved.
* Tires used in racing or other competitive events.
* Tires improperly repaired or with repairs not conforming to Rubber Manufacturers Association standards, or with section repairs, or with self-vulcanizing plug only.
* Tires which have been modified by the addition or removal of material or any tire intentionally altered to change its appearance.
* Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium.
* Tires with weather cracking which were purchased more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment (If no proof of purchase date is available, tires manufactured four or more years prior to presentation for adjustment).
* Tire unserviceability caused by tire operation in excess of tire/wheel manufacturers' specifications and recommendations.
* Ride related anomalies after the first 2/32" of treadwear.
* Tires which are mis-applied due to insufficient speed rating, or undersized, or oversized tires.
* Tires which become unserviceable because of a mechanical irregularity in the vehicle such as misalignment, defective brakes, defective shock absorbers, or improper rims.
* Tires damaged by fire, chemical corrosion, vandalism, wrecks, chains, theft, run while flat, underinflated, overinflated, or abused during servicing.
* Flat Spotting caused by improper transport or storage.
* Tires which become unserviceable because of road hazard injuries (e.g., nails, glass, metal objects) or other penetrations or snags, bruises or impact damage.
* Tires damaged from improper mounting practices.
* Tire dealer/retailer services (e.g., mounting, dismounting, balancing, tire rotation, or wheel alignment).
* Mileage warranty is not applicable to tires fitted as Original Equipment.
* Tires removed in pairs or sets where no abnormality exists in multiple tires.
* Summer tires used at or below 45F (7C) ambient temperature.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
cowjazz

Drives: 2010 2SS
I think you may be going out of pocket unless your dealer can work some mojo with Pirelli. I had a rear tire go flat due to a nail. The car sat in my garage over a weekend while I was out of town, and the sidewall split from sitting so long while flat. I had the car for 5 days, and I had the pleasure of purchasing a new tire.

Based on Mr_Draco's post "Tires which become unserviceable because of road hazard injuries (e.g., nails, glass, metal objects) or other penetrations or snags, bruises or impact damage" Pirelli could deny a warranty claim.

No shame in groveling to your dealer, it is worth a shot.

On the bright side, at least you didn't damage a rim.
cowjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
killerkhatiby009

Thanks for all the information its been really helpful! Honestly this whole sealant business voiding the warranty is just so misleading. How could Chevy include something with the car that voids its warranty when used? and also ruins the tire forcing you to replace it? its just so strange. I've read so many conflicting reports that it does not ruin the tire and some that it does and some say it is still under warranty so i just really don't have a clue what to do about it.