Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
xshortd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
how often to wax???

how often do you guys wax your car? also what do you do AFTER you wax your car?

Thanks!
xshortd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO ABM 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshortd View Post
how often do you guys wax your car? also what do you do AFTER you wax your car?

Thanks!
As often as I can.
I look at it!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I use Zaino and try to get at least one coat on as much as I can, in between I use Zaino's car wash.
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
xshortd

it seems like alot of people like Zaino's, well tell you the truth im not sure if im going to have time to wax alot, therefore how bout after a wash those spray on waxes? Opinions?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I wax about every other month during the summer but it is a long haul during the winter. But so far the Meguires Spray Ultimate spray wax is still beadding and we have had tons of rain down here in Alabama.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
it seems like alot of people like Zaino's, well tell you the truth im not sure if im going to have time to wax alot, therefore how bout after a wash those spray on waxes? Opinions?
You live in an area not far from me - I say that because the conditions are similar, and I can tell you based on experience. (NOT that anyone else's opinions are inaccurate! )

Assuming your car is a "daily driver", at the minimum, you'll want to give it a good coat of wax once every 6 months. (More if possible)

As for those "spray on waxes" at car washes....avoid, avoid, avoid.

In addition to a good coat of wax once every 6 months, you can apply "quick detailer" spray after washings, between coats of wax, which will offer some protection as well.

ED
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Ant32894
Youjellybra?

Drives: 95 3.4l V6
I use the Armorall Wash and Wax soap, and then I dry off my car, and wax it up with the Rain-X wax. Its cheap, and gets the job done!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
xshortd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
You live in an area not far from me - I say that because the conditions are similar, and I can tell you based on experience. (NOT that anyone else's opinions are inaccurate! )

Assuming your car is a "daily driver", at the minimum, you'll want to give it a good coat of wax once every 6 months. (More if possible)

As for those "spray on waxes" at car washes....avoid, avoid, avoid.

In addition to a good coat of wax once every 6 months, you can apply "quick detailer" spray after washings, between coats of wax, which will offer some protection as well.

ED

Yes it is a daliy driver, good points. One thing i dont think i would bring it to a car wash, what i was refering to when i said they spray on wax (sorry for the misunderstanding) was those that you can buy at like autozone (like the turtlewax spray on wax) i was wondering what you guys thought about that.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Yes it is a daliy driver, good points. One thing i dont think i would bring it to a car wash, what i was refering to when i said they spray on wax (sorry for the misunderstanding) was those that you can buy at like autozone (like the turtlewax spray on wax) i was wondering what you guys thought about that.
While you're at the store buying the soap, look at either Meguires or Mothers "quick detailing sprays"...they'll give you sufficient protection between waxings.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
xshortd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
While you're at the store buying the soap, look at either Meguires or Mothers "quick detailing sprays"...they'll give you sufficient protection between waxings.
so that would replace that quick wax spray system?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
The only thing i found with the meguiers is it will build up and begin to smear.But that is only at car shows when you are trying to keep them nice.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO ABM 2LT
CHECK OUT "SHOWROOMFX.COM" THEY'VE GOT WAX AND EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CLEAN WAX AND PROTECT. EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS ZAINO OR MOTHERS OR MEGUIRES, BUT COST ALOT LESS. AND YOU GET PERSONAL ATTENTION FOR WHATEVER YOUR NEEDS ARE...
IN BAD WEATHER AREAS i WOULD WAX AT LEAST EVERY MONTH...KEEP THE PROTECTION ON.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
I'm not sure how applicable, but do you older folks remember the old commercial for Pledge(?) saying that the furniture was waxed 500 times?...

...I found out much later through Woodworking experience that 'WAX' does not
stick to itself, so putting on coat after coat is pointless.

This research was on natural waxes, but I assume that it would apply to the new synthetic super waxes as well.

SO, once a good coat of wax is applied and if it is not removed by washing, how often IS really necessary and effective?

I'm curious to know how UV degradation of the wax comes into play and if spray detailer has UV Inhibitors that help retard the UV degradation of the wax (and paint).

I only wax after a thorough wash, but I do use a California Duster and Spray Detailer near daily.

Spass Machen!
RixRad
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
maximus7969
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/sim
wax on wax off
Attached Images

maximus7969 is offline   Reply With Quote