Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminsky View Post
As such, you have to assume the worst, especially when a kid is involved.
Why? Do we only know what is safe because it has been tested to be so?

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #16
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
In a word, yes. You can only KNOW it's safe if it has been tested. Untill then, you're only guessing or assuming.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
gahammerle

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
In a word, yes. You can only KNOW it's safe if it has been tested. Untill then, you're only guessing or assuming.
Driving down a street I've never been down isn't safe then, as I haven't tested it.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
why not just put #3 in the trunk....probably about as safe as having him/her ride on the transmission tunnel secured by a seat belt bought on E-bay.
Wait...................what?

But seriously, I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that you should be very cautious in adding or modifying any safety equipment on your Camaros. Personally, have crashed cars for a living I a) wouldn't add a seat belt that the car wasn't engineered for or b) buy a seat belt of ebay for a car that wasn't engineered to have that belt.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
How old and how much do the kids weigh? If they are less than 6 yrs and 60lbs, they need to be in child or booster seats. If the center of rear seat is not intended for passengers, its illegal to sit there regardless of seat belt additions. Hate to say it but if you have 3 kids, you should consider another car.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
Caminsky

Drives: 2001 Z28 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Why? Do we only know what is safe because it has been tested to be so?
You make such compelling arguments, the fact is you can't just say "meh' I'm sure it's alright." You cannot just assume something is safe because you put an E-bay seat belt on it. And yes, we only KNOW something is safe when it has been tested, that makes sense. If it has not been tested, then you have to assume it is unsafe (err on the side of caution) especially with a child. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp.
Caminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
gahammerle

So a person can't use experience to make a reasonable assumption it is safe? OK.

I'll be back in a few. Gotta go buckle up a few kids in the back seat and go crash into a wall at 35 to see if the seat belt will hold up.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
Caminsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
So a person can't use experience to make a reasonable assumption it is safe? OK.

I'll be back in a few. Gotta go buckle up a few kids in the back seat and go crash into a wall at 35 to see if the seat belt will hold up.

Cool, take pics!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Transformed
Roxy

Drives: 2012 Red Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
If I had a 3rd person in the back, I'd want them to have a belt, too.

A belt would be better than no belt, imo.

risk vs. benefit, plain and simple.
Did you forget about your child when you purchased the car? I knew I had three kids going in. So if my husband is going to be going with us all somewhere - we take another car. Never would I install an after factory seat belt or give in to "logic" that says well, it's safer than nothing.

Plain and simple - you got the wrong car.
Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I agree with the OP....having a belt is safer than no belt at all. I guess some of you will never let your kids ride a bus or train. The Camaro was not designed for a middle belt in the rear but if you are going to occasionally have someone there, not a bad idea to add a belt....belt better than no belt.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #25
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
WOW, this crowd seems more like a PTA meeting than a Camaro forum.

Is there an award for "best parent" around here or something?

This is yet another reason that I don't have kids. Not because they won't fit in the back seat, but because I'd rather not hear a bunch of grief from every other pissed off and poor, toddler-pee smelling BREEDER whenever I ask a stupid question about a seat belt.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
Caminsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I agree with the OP....having a belt is safer than no belt at all. I guess some of you will never let your kids ride a bus or train.
Apples and Oranges, the seats on a bus and a train were designed that way, these seats were not.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I put one in my car too. I have a third vehicle also. The belt i put was a brand new one from Honda. It's a center lap belt. Did I test it? No. Do I trust it? Yes, with my life I do. I feel 100% confident that it will easily hold.

On a side note, we usually take my truck or my wife's Acura 4 dr car, but every now and then the kids wanna take daddys cool car. So I feel much safer with the third seat belt. It was a simple install, remove the two bolts at the factory mounting points and add this belt. Didn't tale long at all and I don't see it failing.

Op, don't sweat what the naysayers say. You'll be ok as long as your belt is a quality unit. You know on the Internet there is always going to be disagreement, and there will always be people who wanna argue because they have nothing better to do with their time. You know, the people who have never done anything out of the ordinary and always do things by the book. Ha!
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Children not big enough to sit up front wouldn't be allowed to ride in my car anyways... I prefer to keep the sticky fingers and shoes off my seats and out of my car .

The third seatbelt would obviously be safer than being unrestrained. What happens during a rollover or violent collision from some unknown angle? No testing was ever done to see what would happen to that occupant. There is a risk (calculated I suppose) to that occupant....but that could be said for any occupant in said vehicle.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote