Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #71
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Nathan,

I have been following along with this thread, as well as your others, and am simply amazed with the amount of effort you are putting into this car. I really hope that once finished it performs to your satisfaction, or beyond, and stays in one piece. Because if not, well, I do not even want to think about that.

You certainly take, "Do it right the first time", to a WHOLE new level and I am proud that you chose the Camaro platform to do it with.

Keep up the good work, as I know you will, and I can not wait to see this car out on the track. I sure hope Road America is on your "Bucket List" because I would love to be there when you experience that track.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #72
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Awesome. Hats off to your knowledge, skill, and attention to detail. The car is going to be spectacular.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #73
Synner

Drives: cars
Nathan did you plan on upgrading with 1LE hubs or stay stock until they crap out, thats my plan at least.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #74
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Quick Update:

Removing Rear Sub Bushings and control arm bushings.

Here are a few pictures of the process my brother and I took to remove the rear bushings. This is by no means is the only way to do it or the easiest but being that my rear sub was out of the car, this is the way I did it.

To keep the upper control arm bracket from moving around while trying to cut out the bushing, Justin made a fixture to bolt it to.

Attachment 497909

Next we used a saw to cut the center section out.

Attachment 497910

Here is the center section from one of the sub frame bushings for reference. Similar to the control arm bushings.

Attachment 497912

These bushings have an outer steel sleeve that has adhesive from the factory. We gave it some heat to loosen up the adhesive. The last step was to cut the steel outer ring very carefully as to not cut the housing (Picture not shown.) Next I hammer a screw driver to create a wedge between the sleeve and housing and worked it till the steel ring collapse on it self. I will say this was a PITA to do.

Attachment 497913

For the sub bushing the process was basically the same. After cutting out the center section, I broke off the edges of the bushing and the made two cuts with the saw-zall and pried it with the screw driver.

Attachment 497915

Finally got them all out.

Attachment 497916

If anybody has some tips for others on an easier way to remove these bushing, please post them as this seemed pretty barbaric way of doing them, LOL.
Looks great Nathan. I have done this same work on many Camaros. In my experience I have found a press works great on most of the bushing removal and a large sledge hammer will break apart and knock out the large sub-frame bushings.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #75
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Nathan did you plan on upgrading with 1LE hubs or stay stock until they crap out, thats my plan at least.
There's a difference? I always thought a hubs a hub...what makes the 1le ones better?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #76
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Nathan,

I have been following along with this thread, as well as your others, and am simply amazed with the amount of effort you are putting into this car. I really hope that once finished it performs to your satisfaction, or beyond, and stays in one piece. Because if not, well, I do not even want to think about that.

You certainly take, "Do it right the first time", to a WHOLE new level and I am proud that you chose the Camaro platform to do it with.

Keep up the good work, as I know you will, and I can not wait to see this car out on the track. I sure hope Road America is on your "Bucket List" because I would love to be there when you experience that track.

T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Awesome. Hats off to your knowledge, skill, and attention to detail. The car is going to be spectacular.
Thnaks guys for the props but I can't take all the credits as my brother has been working on the car just as hard as I have. There's a lot of work a head of us to make it to SEMA and there's no way I can do it all myself. Wish us luck.

Quote:
Synner you know me by now that I will upgrade pretty much anything that can be. Heck, I'm upgrading stuff on the engine thats already upgraded and it hasn't even started yet I didn't realize though that the 1LE hubs are different. Is that your understanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Looks great Nathan. I have done this same work on many Camaros. In my experience I have found a press works great on most of the bushing removal and a large sledge hammer will break apart and knock out the large sub-frame bushings.
Thanks Chris! I did use a press for every bushing except the sub, those were the ones that were a PITA. Hows your KILLER project coming along?

This is a really quick update as I'm beat.

Got the last ARP order today. Unfortunately two of the three sets on back order are the bolts for the Hammerhead and the 1.7" inch stud kit for a HEMI oil pan. I was going to see if I could use the stud kit instead of the bolts for the Hammerhead but neither came in. This delays me from sending the unit back to Frank at DSS for final assembly .

ARP Bolts

Name:  ARP.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  93.6 KB

Last edited by Moreno1; 04-17-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #77
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
1LE hubs have larger stronger bearings....
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #78
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
1LE hubs have larger stronger bearings....
LOL, time for another upgrade!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #79
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
You should post a warning for all your threads -

***WARNING!!!, If you are OCD, DO NOT ENTER!!! Or enter at your own risk. What you see here, you will want to attempt on your own car and create large deficits to your bank account. You might also experience a level of inferiority, but this is not our intent, due to our own OCD. Thank you for watching...***

OMG Dude!!! I totally regret clicking on this thread, I now have to find a second job to get some of the stuff you're doing on my car when I get it.

Seriously though, very amazing what you and your brothers are accomplishing. The information you are sharing is priceless. I come from a machining background and can appreciate the hard work you and your brothers are doing and the level of detail is outstanding. I'm definitely subscribed to your future activities.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 04-18-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #80
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
There's a difference? I always thought a hubs a hub...what makes the 1le ones better?
Its the bearings, they're larger on the 1LE/ZL1 to handle lateral loads found in racing with sticky tires.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #81
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Synner you know me by now that I will upgrade pretty much anything that can be. Heck, I'm upgrading stuff on the engine thats already upgraded and it hasn't even started yet I didn't realize though that the 1LE hubs are different. Is that your understanding?
I'm just lookin out for ya, I know how much you love that credit card. I sure hope you get frequent flyer miles as you can travel around the world a few times once you're done. Although you may want to actually drive the car for a bit.

After just cleaning those up I would leave them in until they go bad. When you start to hear them ticking or have side to side play swap them out.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #82
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
In the 70's NASA published a concept of operations that describes how they will complete a project with the technology of that day. Otherwise they would have never finished a project. Imaging what cool parts might come from the 2014 Z28? I prefer the run it til it breaks theory. I'm with Synner.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #83
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
Imaging what cool parts might come from the 2014 Z28?
Definitely brakes; the torque sensing helical gear diff is very interesting. Wondering how hard the retrofit for that would be on the electronics side...
I'm too poor to figure that one out, hey Nathan wanna be the guinea pig?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #84
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
You should post a warning for all your threads -

***WARNING!!!, If you are OCD, DO NOT ENTER!!! Or enter at your own risk. What you see here, you will want to attempt on your own car and create large deficits to your bank account. You might also experience a level of inferiority, but this is not our intent, due to our own OCD. Thank you for watching...***

OMG Dude!!! I totally regret clicking on this thread, I now have to find a second job to get some of the stuff you're doing on my car when I get it.

Seriously though, very amazing what you and your brothers are accomplishing. The information you are sharing is priceless. I come from a machining background and can appreciate the hard work you and your brothers are doing and the level of detail is outstanding. I'm definitely subscribed to your future activities.
Thanks Bad!!! Your post had got to be the post of post! Thanks for the props, Justin, Seth and I really appreciate it!

Quote:
I'm just lookin out for ya
Thanks Bro I now you have my back, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
In the 70's NASA published a concept of operations that describes how they will complete a project with the technology of that day. Otherwise they would have never finished a project. Imaging what cool parts might come from the 2014 Z28? I prefer the run it til it breaks theory. I'm with Synner.
I agree, the Z/28 is going to be a KILLER piece of machinery. I think it will helps us all build better cars.

Quick Update:

Rear Upper Control Arm Bushing Instal

This was a easy install. The pictures are pretty self explanatory.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  124.4 KB