Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
I did strongly consider 1LE, but at this point in life I don't see any auto cross in my future and I have 2 kids that I take to school/track meets/ swim meets and practices so a little more "street-ability" was desirable. If I did get one, I was going to peal the hood wrap and go rally stripes on it. seems a little silly just to get what you want, but i'm in the same boat right now. A few years back I sold my '91 ZR1 Corvette because I wasn't using it. I couldn't pick up both kids from school and while I'm not bringing pipe and lumber home with it, I feel like I can pick up some stuff at Home Depot when I'm in the Camaro. In the final analysis it called to me, but not enough.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
You're first post is supposed to be introducing yourself and giving us pics of your car. Not bashing the Pirellis
I have to agree with Adam for a change.

From what I understand the dealer is in KC and you are in Dallas? I would guess they have no incentive to give you a deal on tires since you won't be a service customer.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
You're first post is supposed to be introducing yourself and giving us pics of your car. Not bashing the Pirellis

His choice on his first post, not yours!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Dallas90

Man, 3 sets of rims and all that hassle. I'm not up for that. I'd sell the car and get something else first.
As for the testing and requirements, the 787 met all of Boeings tests too. As did the Cadillac 8-6-4 back in the day. It's less a question of their testing than their customer service. I'm not expecting Lexus level response. But they do have a disappointed customer, they at least need to know that.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Overnight flat spotting?

My car sat from December to march during winter and I barely noticed any. Drove a few miles and it was fine.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Dallas90

Again, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I had them demonstrate flat spotting when they sat outside a restraunt for 2 hours. It was low ambient, mid 40s or so. Still, makes me nostalgic for 1970s truck tires with nylon cords. Ahhh, 3 on the tree.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
Again, I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I had them demonstrate flat spotting when they sat outside a restraunt for 2 hours. It was low ambient, mid 40s or so. Still, makes me nostalgic for 1970s truck tires with nylon cords. Ahhh, 3 on the tree.
I know what you mean, they are just made to last too long. They also like to thump when they are cold. Thump thump thump just like most factory tires.

It will get better, when you pick out your own tires for it.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I broke down and bought the Continental Extreme contact DWS tires when the Pirellis got worn out. They are great, Ultra High Performance all season tires, but they are also very pricey.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Dallas90

I was leaning strongly toward Goodyear Eagle GT, but I'll give the Conti's a look. Not too impressed with Pirelli obviously, so I won't look at them. And historically haven't had good grip out of Michelin, The Miche's on the CTS are unlike any others I've driven so I might consider them, but they are still down the list a ways.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
There are a few people that have the Nittos and Michellin Pilots and love them. I considered those also, but wanted higher mileage tires.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
Dallas90

I've always surrendered milage for sticky, I've never had a set that I thought were just too sticky.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
Dallas90

Quick update, the customer service folks at Chevy responded right away. Unfortunately we have played phone tag. It is gratifying to see the rapid response.
Did get a call from the parts/accessory guy at the dealer. He owns a Camaro (I didn't ask which model) and has no Pirelli love either. Didn't really have any avenues to offer other than full boat price at a tire dealer, said he wanted out of his tires, but was "barely making the car payment".
As for "hill start assist" I bet there is a way to turn it off in the service manual.

Last edited by Dallas90; 04-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I find the compound on the Pirellis to be hard and have lower traction in any colder weather (<55-60F). I have to work to avoid spinning the tires when cold or if the ambient keeps them that way. It surprised me how much different they are when cold. Make sure the tire pressure is high enough to keep them from flat spotting - I think its 36 psi cold.

However I also enjoy spinning the tires from time to time.

As to HSA, I hated it until I figured it out with the help of the guys here. Put the car into neutral, release the clutch, and put back into gear with reduced brake pedal pressure to just hold the car from rolling. I actually came to appreciate it after getting stuck behind a line of cars with a stop sign at the top of a hill.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
I do not meant to be rude or to insult you, but for tires to "flat spot" in 2 hours on a mid 40's day makes me think you may not have sufficient tire pressure. Is that possible?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote