Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
xTHExxFALLENx

Drives: 2010 RS / 2017 SS
Front and rear blackouts in satin?

Hey everyone does anybody know where I can get the front and rear blackout vinyl kit in satin black? I've asked many company and they don't offer them. Any ideas?

Here's what I'm looking for.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
xTHExxFALLENx

Drives: 2010 RS / 2017 SS
Anyone?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Colt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS Victory Red
I got my rear from MnP and front fro RiderGraphix.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I am also looking for black satin blackouts. Every company only sells matte. Got tired of looking at made my own 3m black satin hash marks with knife less tape .im planning on doing the front and rear later on but if some one would offer the blackout kit in satin I highly consider , since it seems like more difficult area to cover
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
I couldnt find anyone that sold them either. I ended up DIY-ing it. Get some good high quality vinyl (I used ORACAL 751) and a product called Knifeless tape. My vinyl is all 1 piece, not seperate pieces for the tailights like a lot of kits have that leave colored gaps.

I wont say it was easy, and I definitely didn't do a perfect job, If I were to redo it a second time i think I could get it near perfect. I am not exactly experienced with vinyl, but this was about the 3rd major vinyl project i have done.

I can give a few pointers on doing this if anyone wanted it. I will in all honesty say though it is a challenge and wouldn't exactly recommend it to someone unless they were willing to screw it up and redo it at least once. Honestly paint is the way to go if you are sure this is the look you want.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
SS_TINHO

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS

Did mine with paint and also deleted the rear bowtie. To me this is a must have if you have any black on your ride. Looks so much more aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
TowerDecalsInc

Drives: Camaro
Paint is the way to go on this job. Too many 3 dimensional curved surfaces to try to apply a single sheet of 2 dimensional vinyl to. It is possible and turbo narwhal did a fantastic job, but we would not sell this due to the difficult install.
TowerDecalsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
TowerDecalsInc

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_TINHO View Post

Did mine with paint and also deleted the rear bowtie. To me this is a must have if you have any black on your ride. Looks so much more aggressive.

Unbelievably badass
TowerDecalsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
TurboNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDecalsInc View Post
Paint is the way to go on this job. Too many 3 dimensional curved surfaces to try to apply a single sheet of 2 dimensional vinyl to. It is possible and turbo narwhal did a fantastic job, but we would not sell this due to the difficult install.
Thank you for the compliment

Every bit of this is truth. The tailight buckets are a miserable experience to lay vinyl on. They are just so deep you have to stretch a couple inches of vinyl around a sizeable compound curve. Mine is not as nice in person as it looks in pictures. I fully intend on having mine painted, I'll end up doing that myself as well though I really doubt it would be too expensive to have a shop do it. Vinyl is possible but it requires quite a bit of skill to do well and the chance of error is huge. Just commit and go paint. You won't regret it.

Also where did those rear fender extensions come from on the black camaro. I like those a lot.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
SS_TINHO

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
They are from 3d carbon. About 130.00 a side painted. Really good stuff too. They are local to me and I went to check their set up and it's top notch.

Thank you for the compliment towerdecalsinc

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
My rear blackout is a single piece of vinyl as well. Mine is 3M and was done by a fellow member on here (username LIM3). Like TurboNarwhal said, it's very tough to do and a heat gun is required for the four tail lamp recesses. We also used the knifeless tape, which is a lifesaver.

The hardest part is the crevice just under the bottom of the trunk lid. You know, that spot where you usually slip your finger to lift the trunk lid? That area has a crevice that vinyl is VERY hard pressed to stick to and I was constantly dealing with lifting and bubbling issues there. I just ended up trimming the vinyl in that area and just plastidipping it. Blends in well with the matte vinyl, looks no different and am much happier with it.

If I ever end up getting rear ended and have to get a new bumper, I think I'll end up painting it next time since I love the look so much that I'm sure I'll never change my mind about it. Besides, that area that is covered by the blackout gets so dirty and contaminated that it is prone to swirl marks and paint imperfections if you keep the paint exposed.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
TurboNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
My rear blackout is a single piece of vinyl as well. Mine is 3M and was done by a fellow member on here (username LIM3). Like TurboNarwhal said, it's very tough to do and a heat gun is required for the four tail lamp recesses. We also used the knifeless tape, which is a lifesaver.

The hardest part is the crevice just under the bottom of the trunk lid. You know, that spot where you usually slip your finger to lift the trunk lid? That area has a crevice that vinyl is VERY hard pressed to stick to and I was constantly dealing with lifting and bubbling issues there. I just ended up trimming the vinyl in that area and just plastidipping it. Blends in well with the matte vinyl, looks no different and am much happier with it.

If I ever end up getting rear ended and have to get a new bumper, I think I'll end up painting it next time since I love the look so much that I'm sure I'll never change my mind about it. Besides, that area that is covered by the blackout gets so dirty and contaminated that it is prone to swirl marks and paint imperfections if you keep the paint exposed.
Funny you mention plastic dip looking identical, my tail light bezels are dipped, can hardly tell a deifference between it and the vinyl.

The little crevice you mention is indeed a pain as well, mine is a mess. I geuss that is one section where mine is not one piece, I didnt originally have it wrapped but the yellow stood out way to much so i went back in and added vinyl under there.

My bezels I actually did with out a heat gun, just went really slowly stretching the vinyl. However it started to lift after about 10 hours so I pressed it all back down and hit it with a heat gun to put some memory into the vinyl. haven't had a problem yet.

Tags
blackout, camaro, satin, vinyl