Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
I love enjoying my Camaro every single day regardless of rain, snow, sleet, or sun. I don't understand why people put the car away unless they really don't feel safe driving in snow.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Very strange indeed... I drove my SS year round, rain, sleet, or snow.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Why not just ship them with "basic" tires and have the dealer switch them out? Then you can have a disclaimer signed explaining that the tires are not good in the snow/cold and recommend switching tires or winterizing the vehicle until Spring. What about those in warmer climates
Logistical nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Very strange indeed... I drove my SS year round, rain, sleet, or snow.
The Goodyear tires on the ZL1 and 1LE are unique, and don't act like the Pirelli tires much at all. In short: they are phenomenal in the warm weather and simply mind-blowing on the track....but they absolutely hate cold weather. 40º and below: forget it. It's like trying to drive with tupperware lids bolted to the axles...
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The Goodyear tires on the ZL1 and 1LE are unique, and don't act like the Pirelli tires much at all. In short: they are phenomenal in the warm weather and simply mind-blowing on the track....but they absolutely hate cold weather. 40º and below: forget it. It's like trying to drive with tupperware lids bolted to the axles...
This makes me wonder what you're supposed to do if you take a weekend drive up to the mountains or something and it's a bit nippy outside? Do you get winter tires and put them on if there's a chance you'll see colder weather? Or is there a bit of hyperbole in this (and GM's) statement and it's fine for driving around as long as you're not trying to break records at the drag strip?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
You get different tires if you need to drive below 40F, and its not just about the fact that the tires shouldnt be driven below 40F, but I guess some people didnt read my first post so ill say it again..

THESE TIRES CANNOT BE EXPOSED TO BELOW 20F

The tires can start to crack when they are exposed to those temperatures, and guess what the projected low in Oshawa is for Sunday? 23F and its not even December yet.
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
I love enjoying my Camaro every single day regardless of rain, snow, sleet, or sun. I don't understand why people put the car away unless they really don't feel safe driving in snow.
because i want to keep it around and they put a mixture of salt and ash on the roads that will eat a car like this befor its payed off. And I hate to see it covered with crap. Plus I have a 4x4 to drive in the winter. Once you have a 4x4 with 4 studded snow tires you will never want to drive a car in the snow again.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Of all the threads that get moved this one is a prime candidate. If it were in just the ZL1 and 1LE sections maybe so many heads wouldn't explode, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
hence, when i bought my car, i didnt want the RS package and summer only tires. i got a non rs with 19 inch all season tires. some tires are just made for certain types of driving and GM dont expect folks with ZL1 cars to be plowing down detroit snow.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
hence why I bought a 1LE, these tires make this car what it is, and I have no problems having it sit in my warm garage and NEVER seeing snow (salt/mag chloride etc).

Here is a long post on all this as well:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328054
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
If you're not ordering a 1LE or ZL1, don't worry about it, it does not affect you. It certainly isn't affecting me. I got mine.

Doesn't matter if YOU can drive year round. The cars don't sit in climate controlled comfort in Oshawa. They're OUTSIDE...and in Oshawa, if you haven't got the memo yet...gets COLD. So cold it can affect the tire situation.

GM is not going to play musical chairs with tires. If you don't like it, then wait until spring and put in your order. You can probably place an order with your dealer now and in February, they'll make yours.

It's out of your hands, and if you think you can change it, don't. Because you can't. The word has come down from the mountain. Get over it, get on with life. Go find a cure for cancer or something. It's a higher priority than ZL1/1LE orders.

+1
HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperativeXIV View Post
This makes me wonder what you're supposed to do if you take a weekend drive up to the mountains or something and it's a bit nippy outside? Do you get winter tires and put them on if there's a chance you'll see colder weather? Or is there a bit of hyperbole in this (and GM's) statement and it's fine for driving around as long as you're not trying to break records at the drag strip?
I've driven on the tires in every non-damaging condition imaginable (see: above 30º)...If the temperature falls below 45º...traction is SEVERELY compromised...just a little too much throttle and the car slides around. BUT!! If you're careful and knowledgable - you can drive the car. The concern becomes "what if you need to perform an emergency maneuver?"

....so, take that for what you will.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
hence, when i bought my car, i didnt want the RS package and summer only tires. i got a non rs with 19 inch all season tires. some tires are just made for certain types of driving and GM dont expect folks with ZL1 cars to be plowing down detroit snow.
The summer tires on the rs and ss package cars is not effected by this bulletin there is no set minimum storage temp for the 20" pirellis so they can be shipped year round your all seasons might allow you to drive a little bit safer between 40 and 20 but in the end they are not snow tires, and they do get harder sooner than a dedicated winter tire would/
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
if i remember right last year they where holding them because the tires where cracking due to the cold weather before they shipped.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
Hyena

Drives: 2013 1LT RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
GM is not going to play musical chairs with tires.
Actually,they do play musical chairs with tires.We get trucks in all the time with transport tires on them and the wheels and tires that they were ordered with,come via freight truck.

If GM wanted to ship those units,they could.They just don't want too.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote