Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #197
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Totally recommend against buying the camaro for your 16 year old. I know I would've killed myself in it, It would've been keyed to death in our high school parking lot, and most likely your son or some other kid is going to back into it or run it into something. The other thing is the blind spots/visibility challenges in it could cause some issues especially when you're a newbie to driving.

Just go buy something safe with lots of air bags etc, good brakes and just enough power to get out of the way of other idiots driving around town. Get something with a little bit of size to it.

This brings back memories though. My first car was an 82 Dodge 400 convertible- probably one of the worst cars ever made. About 15 horsepower left in it and the worst brakes I've ever had. First time I drove it - it stalled on my at every stop sign and nearly got me killed in an intersection when it stalled out again. This was an automatic too. I have no idea what my parents were thinking when they bought it for me - and I remind them of that frequently.

Remember again they do still need at least a little bit of horsepower to be safe too. Your kid will probably hate you but Volvos are great cars to start with - tons of visibility, super easy to drive and safe as you can get.

This topic makes me feel old
stros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #198
tom_vilsack
Banned

Drives: fast
Get him a vette...........chevette...it's a chick magnet

tom_vilsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #199
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
This is a no brainer really.
If you truly love your son and wish him to grow up to 17+ please dont buy him a Camaro, not even a V6.

A V6 is not far behind the accelleration or the power of a V8, although there is some difference.

At 16 he hasnt learned ANY skills or appreciation for what it is to have a nice car. Im not trying to be mean, but he should go a few years driving a banger and getting experience under his belt before getting a nice car.

My kid is almost 15 and already craving to get a Camaro or Magnum V8.

I told him point blank NO!

He will start off with a banger and get experience from there. He was sad for a while but like the hero he is to me he understood and accepted it.

I got him a $500 truck (MANUAL) and he cant wait to get his N to drive it!!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #200
Gah!
Proud owner of a 5th gen!

Drives: SIM 1LT w/ Black Rallys
Send a message via AIM to Gah!
I remember my 1st car I still have parts left over from crashing it too much haha. Just joking but in all honesty I would have loved to get a new Camaro when I was 16 but I know for a fact that I would have been in a world of trouble. Besides a cop spots a teenager in a new camaro and if he is 6mi over the speed limit its a ticket.
Gah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #201
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
did a buck 15 a week after got my v6 XD. wasn't it v6 take out faster than v8, because of light weight?
spoone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #202
oneinch

Drives: 2002 Ford F150 4WD
I don't think the V6 power, or even V8 power, is the issue. Plenty of us older people had muscle cars for our first cars and we're still here. My first car was a 2 ton 455/375HP Cutlass. $1500 - those were the days. Guns don't kill people and cars don't go fast. People do these things. Send the boy to driving school and teach him how to drive such a machine. There are electronics that can be installed on the car that can monitor location, speed, etc. in real time if you want to 'big brother' him. You can keep tabs on the boy right from your cell phone. You'll know if he breaks the rules and if he does he loses the car. You can get injured in a crappy slow car as easily as in a 2010 V6 Camaro. It is very nice of you to consider getting your son a Camaro. I trust he is deserving of your gift.
oneinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #203
BossOfBosses

Drives: 2010 2ss SC'D w/ LTH+Corsa
My sister got an iroc z for her very first car..crashed it about 8 times or more.

My neighbor got a new car for his daughter. She crashed it three times.

In one month. Her first month of driving.

Good luck! But if I were you i'd put my foot down.

---

But it also depends..i mean..do you live in a really rural area? I live in brooklyn new york, things are different here with the overpopulation, tight parking areas, never any parking, people hit other peoples cars just to squeeze into a spot, the highways are flooded with tractor trailors, massive potholes, construction everywhere, flat tires are the norm etc; coupled with the poor visibility of the camaro, it's dangerous.

-----------------

Beat up jeeps make great 1st cars for teens imo..doesnt even have to be beat up. Nissan pathfinder v6s or wrangler maybe. They have good torque and they can see over traffic and learn how to predict the flow of traffic by not looking at the car ahead of them when they drive, but to look further down. Plus they can cram a few friends in there.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by BossOfBosses; 03-12-2010 at 03:12 AM.
BossOfBosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #204
Buhmblbe
Growing Up=Optional

Drives: 2010 Camaro Transformers 2LT RS
Just a point of advice from a dad in the same neighborhood. I'm a pediatric dentist in Smithtown and after treating thousands of kids for over a decade I have unfortunately had the experience of having some of the kids that i treat get injured and even die in automobile accidents. The important thing that I've always seen throughout all of these tragedies is that it wasn't the horse power that caused a bad situation it was poor judgement on the part of a driver. Basically if you can afford the car and he wants it that's great and I truthfully I'm jealous, but PLEASE and REPEATEDLY remind him that safety is important when driving whether it's a new camaro or a used honda civic. They all can eventually go fast with the press of the gas pedal. Common sense becomes much more valuable and important than the number of horses under the hood. Personally I feel that the new Camaro is a very safe car in the V6. My only issue is with the big blind spots in the back. Take it for a test drive and see for yourself. Good luck with your kid's car!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #205
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Holy cow, this thread is still living? lol

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #206
Jason L

Drives: 2004 Pontiac GTO
My First car was a 92 Suburban in 94, then my dad got a 69 Chevelle SS396, it was my 2nd car, after that I got a 95 Z28 Camaro 6spd. It's all about how he respects the car and how responsible he is. I never got a speeding ticket or in any accidents and my cars were always spotless, grades were kept up because I knew to keep the car I had to keep my end of the deal, Grades, Work at the Fam Business and house work etc.
Jason L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #207
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
I'm in agreement with mulehead, the V6 camaro is too much car for a beginning driver. Even if you feel your son is extremely responsible, trust me, when his buddies get in the car with him and they're egging him on (and they will) to see what it will do, there's going to be trouble. If your lucky it will be tickets...but it could be ALOT worse. Buy him something else and if you feel inclined tell him you'll help him with a camaro for a graduation present.
I meant to add, that I had some friends back in high school whose parents bought them fast cars and everyone of them that I can remember were wrecked.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #208
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
LS speed limiter is 116 mph, but top speed is not the sole issue anyway. The pick up of the car is quick and that alone can get him in bad situations. Agree with the rest, work with him on a vintage car - older Camaro . He'll learn to appreciate the car so much more when he does get the 2010. An older one can still give him a huge thrill and get him hooked on the Camaro bandwagon . When when he graduates and gets the 2010 or 2012, he'll be 'flyin high' and you'll have given him incentive for the 2 previous years .

My kids are now 21 and 22 and both bought older Camaros - with their own money. My son had a '85 and my daughter a '79. Both loved them and both love mine now.

BTW, my daughter totaled my restored '77 when she was 17.
No matter how good YOUR intentions, they're still kids.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #209
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Aaaaand we're off once again LOL

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #210
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
You see if you had very little disposable income it would solve your dilemma.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote