Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Shipping Overseas for Vacation

I would like to ship my Camaro to Japan for a vacation. There are a few Camaro Clubs there and I would like to meet them in my car.

Does anybody know how to start the process or what the rules are or if it can even be done for a short term trip?

I don't want to leave the car there permanently, so I hope I wouldn't have to go through the normal import and inspection process for registration in that country.

Does Japan allow temporary permission to operate a foreign vehicle in the country?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
For Japan, I doubt it.

But I don't have any information, just my opinion based on their import policies.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I've never been to Japan, but I've never ran into a problem shipping a vehicle over. Just do some research before you do it and don't do anything stupid. Would hate to have your car impounded there because you didn't follow their laws and being that the car isn't registered there, they probably wouldn't take good care of it either...

So just do some research and you should be ok.

Don't be alarmed when you see the shipping costs either, you'll probably think twice after you see how much it's going to cost you to take you car there especially if you don't plan to stay there more than few months at a time...I just don't see the cost of it being worth it, i'd find a place that rents out Camaro's and rent one and then act like its yours? lol...
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
I've never been to Japan, but I've never ran into a problem shipping a vehicle over. Just do some research before you do it and don't do anything stupid. Would hate to have your car impounded there because you didn't follow their laws and being that the car isn't registered there, they probably wouldn't take good care of it either...

So just do some research and you should be ok.

Don't be alarmed when you see the shipping costs either, you'll probably think twice after you see how much it's going to cost you to take you car there especially if you don't plan to stay there more than few months at a time...I just don't see the cost of it being worth it, i'd find a place that rents out Camaro's and rent one and then act like its yours? lol...
If he's going to ship his car half way around the world for a vacation, I'm willing to bet that the cost really doesn't matter to him.
tom231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom231 View Post
If he's going to ship his car half way around the world for a vacation, I'm willing to bet that the cost really doesn't matter to him.
You would be correct. The 1st class ticket and hotel are free so i figured I would take my car with me.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I just sold one of my Harleys XLCR, and shipped it to Japan six months ago. The bike is still sitting in customs in Japan. I used a Japanese shipping company.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
That's quite an outlandish thing to do but... it's your money and your car. Personally, I would never ship mine anywhere if I didn't have to. You will likely find scratches, dings, broken stuff, and missing stuff when you finally get to see it again. And it's also likely to be a several month process to get it shipped (over and back). It's apt to be a several month process to get it shipped (over and back).

I'm sure you can rent one over there if you just have to have a Camaro to battle all the little ricers, narrow streets, and midget parking spaces. Good luck!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's quite an outlandish thing to do but... it's your money and your car. Personally, I would never ship mine anywhere if I didn't have to. You will likely find scratches, dings, broken stuff, and missing stuff when you finally get to see it again. And it's also likely to be a several month process to get it shipped (over and back). It's apt to be a several month process to get it shipped (over and back).

I'm sure you can rent one over there if you just have to have a Camaro to battle all the little ricers, narrow streets, and midget parking spaces. Good luck!
I realize it will take time to ship in there and back. I got nothing but time.

Additionally, you obviously missed the part about meeting up with guys there that have Camaro Clubs.

I lived there for 4 years and know about the roads and parking.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
I also lived there. Still cant see why you would want to do that. Also i saw a few camaros while there. Most 3rd and 4th gens. I think they had 3-5 V6 5th gens. Save your money
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Probably too late, good chance you'll never get it out of customs until fall. If you really want to blow 6 grand, just lease a nice car while there, why risk having your car destroyed on its ridiculous trip?
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Like you have said , money it's not an issue
Just get it in a UPS/FEDEX Aircargo plane and there you have it
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
If money is no object, then go all in...

http://www.premium-rent.com/en/cartypes_ferrari.php

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Additionally, you obviously missed the part about meeting up with guys there that have Camaro Clubs.
No... I caught. Still wouldn't be worth the aggravation and risk of damage, to me. But it's your car and your thing. Go for it and good luck!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You will have all kind of issues to do this. Just off the top of my head you will have to deal with customs, having the car inspected to be able to drive there, you will need a license to drive there, they don't have a status of forces agreement for licenses there even for the military. You still have to get their license to be able to drive on their streets. Last time I was there, there was only one place that inspected imported cars and they had about a month long backlog. And I didn't even mention the cost and aggravation of dealing with the Japanese Nationals and what happens if for some reason your Camaro gets "impounded" at customs, and your insurance issues.

As suggested you might want to leave it at home.