Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #3151
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
It finally happened..I ran into a new Mustang.

It wasn't pretty, they're stupid quick. I often take the Camaro in on Fridays because Friday. Traffic was light on this particular piece of highway, and I just see this silver car coming up behind me, I look over and see "5.0" on the fender. Tinted windows, but no obvious LEO equipment since a few agencies around here use Mustangs and Camaros as "sharks" to get traffic offenders.

Things happened, it wasn't pretty, I got a long good look a the butt of the new Mustang...from like 4 lengths away

We pulled over at an Albertsons and talked a bit. Base 2015 Mustang GT with Recaro seats and 3.55's from the factory. He had a JLT CAI, Lund tune and the Ford Racing exhaust. Said he put it on a dyno and it made 410 WHP and 380 WTQ on a Mustang Dyno (usually heartbreakers due to lower numbers than dynojets) and is only 3,695lbs with a full tank and interior (without driver, obv).

Not a fun way to start the morning :/
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #3152
racergirl

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS A6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

It wasn't pretty, they're stupid quick. I often take the Camaro in on Fridays because Friday. Traffic was light on this particular piece of highway, and I just see this silver car coming up behind me, I look over and see "5.0" on the fender. Tinted windows, but no obvious LEO equipment since a few agencies around here use Mustangs and Camaros as "sharks" to get traffic offenders.

Things happened, it wasn't pretty, I got a long good look a the butt of the new Mustang...from like 4 lengths away

We pulled over at an Albertsons and talked a bit. Base 2015 Mustang GT with Recaro seats and 3.55's from the factory. He had a JLT CAI, Lund tune and the Ford Racing exhaust. Said he put it on a dyno and it made 410 WHP and 380 WTQ on a Mustang Dyno (usually heartbreakers due to lower numbers than dynojets) and is only 3,695lbs with a full tank and interior (without driver, obv).

My dad saw a new 5.0 too go down the track. Stupid quick. Bone stock. It went 12.40s forgot the mph though. I'll find out from him

Former Camaro: 2013 2LS
BONE STOCK: 13.953@100.77 With Bolt-Ons: 13.646@101.60
With 75 shot and Bolt-Ons: 12.587@111.25
Performance Mods: CAI Intake, MRT V2, SLP Underdrive Pulley, DRs, Skinnies, Rear seat delete
racergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #3153
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Sounds like it's time for some boost!

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #3154
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRCamaro View Post
Who needs traction anyways? I was Ken Block by accident a few times this morning.
Lol cold temps plus all of the salt on the roads means you wake up in a hurry if you're not careful. Plus I'm on blizzaks which are far from any sort of performance tire. But my clutch and transmission were very annoyed I had to drive this morning. Slow and smooth was the name of the game for shifting.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #3155
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Lol cold temps plus all of the salt on the roads means you wake up in a hurry if you're not careful. Plus I'm on blizzaks which are far from any sort of performance tire. But my clutch and transmission were very annoyed I had to drive this morning. Slow and smooth was the name of the game for shifting.

Yeah im on Michelin PSS Max summers...yup its either a smooth and slow clutch release or a bumpy ride....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #3156
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRCamaro View Post
Sounds like it's time for some boost!

I've been considering a cam/head upgrade for a while. Thinking I might go with a H/C/I +stall...

All I know is that this whole crap about "The new Mustang is slower" is just that, crap. This 5.0 wasn't even trying!
Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #3157
RGRCamaro

Quote:
I've been considering a cam/head upgrade for a while. Thinking I might go with a H/C/I +stall...

All I know is that this whole crap about "The new Mustang is slower" is just that, crap. This 5.0 wasn't even trying!

I am not a only chevy fanboy. I am a fan of performance in general. Those mustangs are no joke.

Go cam/heads you will absolutley love it! less weight than a blower too.

My buddy is trying to set up a race between me and his friend's '13 GT500 (Pretty sure its a 13) not sure what all is done to it, but it should be interesting.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #3158
xc_SS/RS

Quote:

The new one is just as fast, if not faster than the old one. The look of the new mustang is slowly growing on me but I still think the 2013-2014 mustangs look better.

The problem with the new one is the IRS is more prone to wheel hop obviously.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 02-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #3159
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
The new one is just as fast, if not faster than the old one. The look of the new mustang is slowly growing on me but I still think the 2013-2014 mustangs look better.

The problem with the new one is the IRS is more prone to wheel hop obviously.
Yeah..and a lot lighter than people were letting on. When we were talking the Mustang guy said a friend of his up in Washington State has his car down to 3,585 lbs by changing out the exhaust, driveshaft, wheels+tires and putting a lighter battery in it. That's with a full interior and full tank too.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #3160
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Yeah..and a lot lighter than people were letting on. When we were talking the Mustang guy said a friend of his up in Washington State has his car down to 3,585 lbs by changing out the exhaust, driveshaft, wheels+tires and putting a lighter battery in it. That's with a full interior and full tank too.
Yeah I believe the stock exhaust system is nearly 100lbs so that's a good chunk o weight gone with a new one. They're fast cars no doubt. My brother has a 2013 gt with the track pack and for some reason it just doesn't feel faster than my Camaro, even though I know it is faster. Guess its the lack of torque.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #3161
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Yeah I believe the stock exhaust system is nearly 100lbs so that's a good chunk o weight gone with a new one. They're fast cars no doubt. My brother has a 2013 gt with the track pack and for some reason it just doesn't feel faster than my Camaro, even though I know it is faster. Guess its the lack of torque.
Yeah...the 5.0's (at least prior to 15, apparently they changed ALOT of the guts of the 15's) do not feel torque plentiful. I've driven a 2013 and it felt like you had to wind the crap out of it to get it to move. However many reviews of the 2015's say there is torque "everywhere" now. Evidently they added CMCV's to the intake manifold and the cams are very closely related to the Cobra Jet profiles.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #3162
OffseT
Maroboy2001 AKA Offset

Drives: Boosted Trans Am
My demo was a 15 gt I have a red one base with back up camera key less entry std for 31k its quick. Only difference between the new and prior to 15 are the manifolds but people usually put the boss 302 intake mani on anyways
Old 02-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #3163
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
So I didn't mention.. My little 5.4L LSX smoked a 2013 Camaro SS/M6 the other day...

It made me smile that my small displacement LS is mean.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #3164
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffseT View Post
My demo was a 15 gt I have a red one base with back up camera key less entry std for 31k its quick. Only difference between the new and prior to 15 are the manifolds but people usually put the boss 302 intake mani on anyways

From what I'm reading is the new 5.0 heads are based on the Boss heads, but are "fast as cast" instead of CNC'd.

It looks like almost the entire top-end of the new 5.0 is unique to this model, heads...cams..manifold..everything

Tags
i can haz a tag?