Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Unhappy ALMOST LOST MY SON TO HEAT STROKE TODAY

I just wanted to let my forum "family" know that I just came home after spending the day at the hospital with my son...:(

We have had very hot weather the last few days here in NY...90 degrees and very humid...

My son decided that he just HAD TO clean the entire INTERIOR and vacuum and shampoo the carpets of his '98 Grand Prix GTP...he did it out in the SUN in the hottest part of the day for 3 and 1/2 hrs...

When he finally finished and came inside, he felt extremely sick...I had the AC cranked up and put a fan on him and ice packs on his neck and back...he just laid there on my living room floor getting sicker and sicker, until finally he asked ME to call Rescue to take him to the hospital...

Thank God I was home, as he felt soooo tired and sick that if I wasn't here, he said he would have gone to bed, and he probably would NOT have woken up...

The ambulance took him to the hospital and I couldn't ride with them...I was crying and shaking so much, that I was in NO condition to drive myself, so I called my husband at work and he drove home (a 1 hr commute each way) and we both went to the hospital...

By that point, Kevin was already on his 2nd bag of IV fluids and they did blood tests...he got another 2 bags of fluids and then he had to have his urine tested to make sure there was no liver or kidney damage from the dehydration...

Keep in mind that I was giving him water and Gatorade, but apparently, it wasn't enough for the type of heat and humidity we had and the exertion that my son used to clean that car...

I know we are all car enthusiasts out there, but please be careful...

Thank God my son was ok after his blood and urine checked out, however, he has to stay out of the heat AND sun for the next 48 hrs, because he is at risk for another attack and this one could kill him...

Please pray for him to be ok...I know we are all "family" on this forum and all care about each other a lot, so I'm asking you to watch out for yourselves when it's very hot and humid and to drink more than you think you need...

I was already having a bad enough time today as it was the 11 month anniversary of my Dad's death and I was sad enough already...

But please support me as I wait for him to get better...
Thank you in advance..............
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
jschuler
WildCat

Drives: 2LT Imperial blue/biege
Wow! I can't believe that heat could do that to him! Someone was looking down on you both, I'm so glad you were home!
jschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Hope your son recovers fast, I almost passed away when I was 12 in a heat stroke/dehydration and being unconcious for almost 13 hours doctors thought I would go into a coma because the temperatures could have damaged my brain. Thank god I survived it. No worries though everything will be ok. I will keep him in my prayers.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
God Bless! You saved his life. No doubt about it. Not only were you Mom, but you were an Angel.(One in the same as usual huh?) Great Job!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Good thing you were home is right. I wish him the best for recovering...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
glad to hear he's all right... That stuff can sneak up on ya. Even down here in the South where it is that way all the time in the summer, you still got to be careful and be mindful on the symptoms..
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
I've seen people collapse from heat stroke. Scary stuff.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
WOW, Donna, glad to hear you were home for him. Heatstroke is no Joke!! Prayers going to you and your family!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #9
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
here in st louis the heat and humidity is outrageous, i remember playing football with full pads in this weather, dont know how i made running hills and getting beat up all day long in this heat, we did have one guy nearly have a heat stroke, crazy coaches, i heard a 13 year old died yesterday from the heat
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
NightHawkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro
its 108
here in texas
it was 90 at 8:40pm today
glad your son is ok!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
glad your son is ok

get well soon.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Glad he's okay. We have this happen constantly down here.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #13
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
We had a gentleman pass away here in Dayton just yesterday from heatstroke. He was out working in his yard, went in to get a shower, and apparently became disoriented and left his home without a stitch on. He ended up dying in some tall weeds behind his neighbor's house.

Heat exhaustion/stroke is nothing to mess around with. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

"prima" Donna - I'm so glad you were home to care for your son. Thank you for sharing with us and reminding us that we need to take care of ourselves as well as our rides.

Hug your boy for us all - and keep some bottled drinks handy so he can grab one easily as he heads out :-)
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Not a 'cool' experience at all.. usually don't know it's going on until it's too late, and reading that reminded me of one day when we had a guy come so close they called the whole crew off work for safety's sake.

Not kidding when we say it's scary stuff.. Though, granted.. I'm still stupid enough BUT alive to say that I've almost had it happen to me. Not kidding, inside of an airplane on a 95 degree day with no ventilation is not a bright place to be for 2 hours.

Guess guys never learn. :P
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote