Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Any computer people here? Mac friendly

I know this isn't the right forum exactly, but i figured i would give it a try. I recently purchased a macbook pro (mid 2010).. Didn't want to spend 12-1500 since its my first mac and i was very skeptical about using it. Long story short, i am in love with the mac. It runs 10000x better than the 6-8 month old HP laptop i had. The only problem i am running into is this. I am giving my old laptop to my sister for college this weekend. And i use my laptop to tune the car. They only have software for PC. I realize there are programs like "Parsallas" (hope thats spelled right) that you can run your PC on the mac. I need something like this, and hopefully soon, so i can tune my car and do all that small stuff. I would like to data log it and everything and hopefully update my tune (just took to the track for the first time yesterday and had a great time.. perhaps the modding bug is back ).

I am hoping to get some help with installing a such program and not looking to spend valuable money on it (money i can be throwing into my car). I just graduated school and am not exactly wealthy as of yet. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Look into VMware fusion too. This will allow you to run another OS inside of Mac and the whole windows partition is a single file. You could always use boot camp to run windows separately if you wanted to go that route.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I switched to Mac a few years back...................................but kept my PC laptop to use EFI Live.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
I have had the same problem in the past. I switched from an HP laptop to a custom PC desktop and a MacBook Pro. Before you ditch your old laptop see if the program will run off a flashdrive. Then you can borrow someones laptop if you want to switch your tune or even buy a cheap used laptop with a bad battery.

I have little experience running PC programs on a mac and while I do think you could get it to work if you spent some time on it I'm not sure about the cable. I don't know how you could get PC drivers for the cable to work on a mac. I believe this is your biggest hurdle.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
45thCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
I have had the same problem in the past. I switched from an HP laptop to a custom PC desktop and a MacBook Pro. Before you ditch your old laptop see if the program will run off a flashdrive. Then you can borrow someones laptop if you want to switch your tune or even buy a cheap used laptop with a bad battery.

I have little experience running PC programs on a mac and while I do think you could get it to work if you spent some time on it I'm not sure about the cable. I don't know how you could get PC drivers for the cable to work on a mac. I believe this is your biggest hurdle.

Shouldn't be an issue. If the drivers are something that windows sees and installs automatically once you plug in the device and tell the program that you want that device to access windows, it will see the device as normal. In the event of the drivers having to be installed manually, if you can find the drivers, you can instal them as you normally would.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
130R

Drives: SS
I've tried several emulators, and Apple's Boot Camp works the best, and what I use to run HPTuners.

All you need is an appropriate Windows OS. Once your drive is partitioned and the OS installed, you just hold down the Option key at startup when you want to boot into Windows.

https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Could also get a cheap used laptop for just running the tuning software.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
JaniMaks
~ Confused ~

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
As 45th said look into Vmware fusion, and BTW OP i think the program you are referring to is called "Parallels".

With Vmware you will be able to run a windows virtual machine within your MAC laptop. Giving you the flexibility to use any Windows program from within the virtual machine. No need to buy a new laptop, use that money towards a mod instead

CAI Cold Air Intake, MRT V2 (03/01/2016), VTC (03/01/2016)
JaniMaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #9
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
To be safe, run native win OS using bootcamp. It's free, but you'll need to pay for the win OS. VMs have quirks with hardware drivers running through the native Mac OS, plus the overhead.

I've been using mid 2010 MacBook pro 13" running win 7 pro bootcamp. No problems so far. Upgraded to 512 SSD a couple years back and it's still kicking. Got a surface pro 2, but win 8.1 touchscreen would suck for data logging.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I've tried several emulators, and Apple's Boot Camp works the best, and what I use to run HPTuners.

All you need is an appropriate Windows OS. Once your drive is partitioned and the OS installed, you just hold down the Option key at startup when you want to boot into Windows.

https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/
I second 130R's recommendation. Boot camp will be your best option.

The biggest issue you'll face using your mac will be getting Windows installed on it. Since you say you have a mid-2010 MacBook I'm guessing it has a built-in CD-ROM drive. This will make the install process a whole lot easier.

I have an original MacBook Air with no CD-ROM drive. I'm an experienced Mac user but after analyzing the situation I just thought it was going to be too much effort to get Windows on my MB Air. I ended up buying a refurbished HP laptop with Window 7 Home Premium. It's kludgy and slow but works well enough with HP Tuners and the DashLogic config utility.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
45thCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I second 130R's recommendation. Boot camp will be your best option.

The biggest issue you'll face using your mac will be getting Windows installed on it. Since you say you have a mid-2010 MacBook I'm guessing it has a built-in CD-ROM drive. This will make the install process a whole lot easier.

I have an original MacBook Air with no CD-ROM drive. I'm an experienced Mac user but after analyzing the situation I just thought it was going to be too much effort to get Windows on my MB Air. I ended up buying a refurbished HP laptop with Window 7 Home Premium. It's kludgy and slow but works well enough with HP Tuners and the DashLogic config utility.

If you had a windows disc, why wouldn't you copy the disc onto a flash drive?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #12

Drives: Camaro
Apple's boot camp for sure, last thing you want to do is have something glitch and end up bricking an ecu.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
IF I HAVE A WINDOWS DISC FOR OTHER LAPTOP, CAN I SIMPLY USE THAT TO INSTALL WINDOWS ON HERE?

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
45thCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco22 View Post
IF I HAVE A WINDOWS DISC FOR OTHER LAPTOP, CAN I SIMPLY USE THAT TO INSTALL WINDOWS ON HERE?

Yes