Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
So it has come to this...

I'm pretty attached to my Synergy, but I like to keep an open mind...

I found this guy:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...56218705&Log=0

I kinda want to deal! I'm nearing that point where I'm looking at some of the big maintenance items in the next 10k miles or so and I'm sort of feeling the V8 itch. I still owe about $18k on mine (I carried some negative equity from previous car - Mustang ) so that's not good, but my credit is pretty good. What's a fair price for the SS?

I'd love any thoughts/tips/advice. This is the longest I've owned a car and my plan was to drive it till it's paid for... but by that time, I'm going to be hard pressed to find an LS3 with low miles in my color.

I'd also like to know some tips about buying long distance... Should I go through my dealer and have it shipped or drive down to VA from CT? It would be rough, but not impossible to do, but multiple trips would be out of the question.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
I researched auto trader for several weeks until I got a good feel for what was a decent price and found these gen 5's holding their value. Of course depending on mileage, year and condition. I was more particular about the care of the body and cared for the small chips (peppered) on the front and wheel base area. Some would have touch up paint all over them. They all run great or so what I found. I bought mine from a private seller that babied it and could get a lot more info from them than a dealer. They tell you what you want to hear and then you go check it out and be disappointed. Ask lots of question for long distance buys and be sure that is what you want. The price of this car fits in the price range for a 2011 with 24,000 miles but there is room for them to come down. I got mine with 29,000 for 24,500 and the same bells and whistles. Lastly, I owned a V6 prior to this one and all I can say is I love the V8 and the power! You will not be disappointed. Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
It would be a requirement to lay my own eyes on a used car before purchasing.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Jameg1011

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary
You will be able to get them down to 25 I'm sure. Pretty good price for that car.
Jameg1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
If you are serious about the car you need to see it in person before signing to purchase. Ale sure no bodywork etc. You can get preapproved and fly there to look it over. Get a round trip ticket and pay the extra money to be able to cancel your return flight if you do drive it back home. I did this years ago and it was only $15 extra on the ticket but than not using the return fight I received a credit for the unused return flight. The car looks nice, priced ok so you can deal some still. If you trade in your current one for it they will probably give you what you owe or less. If you really want it perhaps you can put some money down to hold it while you try and sell yours. Just remember any car you have will need maint. The clutch could go out just after the warranty on the one your interested in and that will cost you too. Either way good luck.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Sound like me. I had a RJT 2010 RS 1LT with 9K on it started getting the V8 feeling. I had told my dealership owner friend back May if they ever got a low mileage RJT SS in to let me know. Well in August they did and it was a 2011 RJT 2SSRS. The car was sold by them and the owner brought it back to trade on something else and it had 3500 on it. They were asking $33K and because I do the annual camaro car show so I put $4K toward it and used the remainder to do my mods. My payment was lower than the V6 and I have the car of my dreams now. Got it modded the way I want and it was a seamless transition.
I say if you can do it and if little or zero negative results, do it. You won't be happy until you have what you really want. Good luck with it and hope it works for you.

Oh BTW, here are two pics of the old car and the new one below.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Synergy Green Camaro's do not last very long on Dealership lots. $27k is a pretty good price too.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
chozn4service

GO FOR IT IF THE NUMBERS WORK FOR YOU........
Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
At $25,000 I feel like it's a no-brainer... To an extent, I hesitate because the insurance quote is $30 more per month and I drive 65 miles to work on the interstate so fuel realistically would cost more as well. However, given favorable enough loan terms, my monthly payment would go down.

My biggest concern is getting to high mileage with the LLT and the added maintenance costs involved. Not to mention tuning is an issue should I decide to go turbo...

I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but I keep seeing more and more pros than cons... What are my biggest concerns going V6 to V8?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
chozn4service

I know my payment is less. My testosterone increased! I mean everyone comes to me and says "You should have gotten the V8 from the jump. or You finally got the V8. or Best 2 cylinder mod increase you could have done. or There is no replacement for displacement." It goes on and on. I know of no one in our local IndyNexGen with V8's have had any issues and if they did, they were covered by warranty. As for Tunes and such, Just get the car and enjoy it and the rest will come.
I hope to do the SC or cam (LS3 conversion) next August but I know I have the car and platform I want now.
I just have to remember to do the 93 octane when I go to the pumps. There is so much of a bigger thrill with the SS I will say that. Probably not the things you want to hear as far as comparisons go but you'll love the SS.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
At $25,000 I feel like it's a no-brainer... To an extent, I hesitate because the insurance quote is $30 more per month and I drive 65 miles to work on the interstate so fuel realistically would cost more as well. However, given favorable enough loan terms, my monthly payment would go down.

My biggest concern is getting to high mileage with the LLT and the added maintenance costs involved. Not to mention tuning is an issue should I decide to go turbo...

I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but I keep seeing more and more pros than cons... What are my biggest concerns going V6 to V8?
You just answered your question. Cons of going too v8 are increased insurance and gas costs. If you can afford it then make the move. If you have to drive in poor cold weather you may need to plan for different tires too. If you trade your car for it plan to take a beating from the dealer as well but it may help if you have sales tax. Oh yeah also increased chance of tickets.

Last edited by Realist; 11-23-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Realist

Not to change the subject but I had to let chozen4service has a very sweet looking ride. Unique and not overly done
Old 11-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Not to change the subject but I had to let chozen4service has a very sweet looking ride. Unique and not overly done
Thank you kind Sir! Trying to keep up with you rollers in the Windycity!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Biggest concern? Fuel/MPG especially if you have a commute. What you have to consider is your current car payment & insurance cost vs. what it would be with an SS. You would be extending loan term for 5 or 6 years from now vs. whatever is left on your current car, and you would have to ask yourself how would an SS fit for you financially versus your current LT. Then take into account how much does your current car mean to you personally, after all you obviously had a plan for your current car for turbo, and who knows what else. I also wouldn't let possible upcoming maintenance costs make a decision for you because if you buy the SS there will still be the same maintenance costs if not a tad bit more down the road.

You just have to really think about all of those things and figure whether or not the pros outweigh the cons. After-all I'm sure there are good reasons you bought a LT over an SS in the first place.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote