Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Paint Peeling On Rim, Warrenty?

Hey guys,

So this is kinda strange, I can confirm that I have a spot on my passenger front tire where paint is now starting to peel off the edge near where the rubber meets the rim.

At first I thought maybe it was curb damage but this is clrearly paint peeling as I have had more of it flake off this morning and you can see that it is perfectly smooth where the paint is no longer present (black rim surface). Yes I have the midnight silver paint if need be but I really feel that I shouldn't be expecting painting peeling off soo soon on these rims that I have to touch off defects like this. I have 45k on the car which seems low for paint to be falling off.

My question is, am I going to be covered on warrenty for this issue or am I stuck with paint continuing to peel off my rim? Whether good or bad, that was also the only rim that I did have minor curb damage on once which got repaired and on the opposite of the rim from where this paint is peeling.

I have the GM bumper to bumper six year warrenty, will this be covering this issue? I go in on Friday for the inspection and they will be sending GM photos from the dealership.

UPDATE: read my horrible results on post #8

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED

Last edited by DJ ATOMIX; 08-22-2013 at 01:11 PM.
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Hey guys,

So this is kinda strange, I can confirm that I have a spot on my passenger front tire where paint is now starting to peel off the edge near where the rubber meets the rim.

At first I thought maybe it was curb damage but this is clrearly paint peeling as I have had more of it flake off this morning and you can see that it is perfectly smooth where the paint is no longer present (black rim surface). Yes I have the midnight silver paint if need be but I really feel that I shouldn't be expecting painting peeling off soo soon on these rims that I have to touch off defects like this. I have 45k on the car which seems low for paint to be falling off.

My question is, am I going to be covered on warrenty for this issue or am I stuck with paint continuing to peel off my rim? Whether good or bad, that was also the only rim that I did have minor curb damage on once which got repaired and on the opposite of the rim from where this paint is peeling.

I have the GM bumper to bumper six year warrenty, will this be covering this issue? I go in on Friday for the inspection and they will be sending GM photos from the dealership.
Photo;

fyi, the peeling happened right infront of my eyes when I was washing the rims with a garden hose (light pressure) and noticed a black spot appeared out of nowhere :( .
Attached Images

ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
EXT warr rarely covers cosmetics..... its worth a shot but doubtful
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello!

If the peeling paint is found to be a defect from parts or workmanship, then yes, it is covered under warranty. Let us know how the dealership visit goes!

Jessica (assisting William R.)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Hey guys,

Old 07-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have same on two wheels. Dealership will not fix even though I purchased specific wheel and tire warranty as well as extended bumper to bumper.

Just more shoddy work by Chevrolet. Definitely lesson learned not to ever buy a warranty as GM does not honor their warranties whatsoever. At least in my case they never have (body gaps, rockers coming unsnapped, wheels, etc.

I hope you have better luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
I had the same problem on my midnight silver rims. First the dealer had some guy come in and try to spray the problem areas. Looked good in the garage. But in normal light,paint didn't match. Dealer replaced all four under warranty.
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
I had the same problem on my midnight silver rims. First the dealer had some guy come in and try to spray the problem areas. Looked good in the garage. But in normal light,paint didn't match. Dealer replaced all four under warranty.
I need to come to your dealer.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

So I finally got the results from the photos sent to GM. They said that the paint peeling was my fault and due to rocks from gravel roads which I havnt driven on at all this year.

I am very upset and feel ripped off that this $1880 that I spent on the extended warrenty has done absolutely nothing for me so far.

Not only that, the rim is countinuing to peel and I'm beginning to get a black lip starting all the way around the rim.

Thanks GM for supporting those of us who are die hards and loyal to you and trust you with all care. Bumper to bumper extended warrenty, yeah right.

From this point on, anyone reading this who hasn't already purchased there Camaro should be warned on the gimmick of the extended warrenty.

Its a scam and total ripoff as far as I'm concern.

I absolutely love my Camaro, best car ever but I will not be purchasing another GM vehicle in the future knowing they wont back any issues. The FORD guys must be laughing at me right now as I know several owners with stangs who have been covered and backed by there company from the same issue.

This paint chipping was genuine and the result of flaking from the paint letting go on the rim. They quoted me $600 for a repaint, you have to be kidding me.

Sorry, I am frustrated... and this is mostly about the warrenty thing. Yes I'm going to get a paint stick and do it myself. :(

Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Don't know how they could tell it was gravel roads from a photo??? From the one photo I see I really couldn't determine if was a defect or if something hit it that caused it to start peeling.

But it seems to me there would be a second level you could go to and complain. Else cancel the warranty and get some of your money back.

Good luck.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Have to imagine its a dealer issue, not a GM issue.

On my TBSS I had a similar problem on a couple of the wheels. The dealership happily took care of the problem and I had it back the very next day - and that was WITHOUT an extended warranty.

I should preface that by saying the dealership I went thru was always very easy to work with and went above and beyond many times, sometimes even covering things that were borderline 'warranty'.

Maybe try another dealer or ask around for a referral to a different dealership. Might net you different results.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Try to look around for a set of bare polished aluminum wheels you like. More upkeep, sure, but no need to worry about peeling clearcoats and super, super easy to fix if you curb 'em.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
So I finally got the results from the photos sent to GM. They said that the paint peeling was my fault and due to rocks from gravel roads which I havnt driven on at all this year.

I am very upset and feel ripped off that this $1880 that I spent on the extended warrenty has done absolutely nothing for me so far.

Not only that, the rim is countinuing to peel and I'm beginning to get a black lip starting all the way around the rim.

Thanks GM for supporting those of us who are die hards and loyal to you and trust you with all care. Bumper to bumper extended warrenty, yeah right.

From this point on, anyone reading this who hasn't already purchased there Camaro should be warned on the gimmick of the extended warrenty.

Its a scam and total ripoff as far as I'm concern.

I absolutely love my Camaro, best car ever but I will not be purchasing another GM vehicle in the future knowing they wont back any issues. The FORD guys must be laughing at me right now as I know several owners with stangs who have been covered and backed by there company from the same issue.

This paint chipping was genuine and the result of flaking from the paint letting go on the rim. They quoted me $600 for a repaint, you have to be kidding me.

Sorry, I am frustrated... and this is mostly about the warrenty thing. Yes I'm going to get a paint stick and do it myself. :(
DJ ATOMIX,

Wow, sincere apologies you feel that way based on your current situation. I'd like to explore these matters for you to possibly see if anything else can be done. We take comments like this very seriously, and I have documented your concern along with your comments in our system. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I want to see if there is an opportunity for us to earn your business again. Contact me privately at your earliest convenience.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Told you. Same thing happened to me.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS