Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
For some reason when I saw them go into the back room I figured they were thinking "its the end of the world, might as well have fun".
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #44
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I found an article stating it was doing 19 miles per second. That would be approximately mach 92.. That's 68,400 miles per hour. 89 times faster than the speed of sound...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mach 1 = speed of sound therefore Mach 92 would be 92 times the speed of sound.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #45
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
Im confused.. Why would there be long trails of smoke in the sky and then like a minute later massive explosions as if it happened right next to them? I mean i guess it could be a sonic boom when a meteor enter the atmosphere but it sounds like tank just fired a missile next to the camera..i feel like theres audio clips overwriting the video... someone enlighten me
Well the video is a little tricky here. The explosion was very far away from the ground. While sound is fast.. it still takes some time to travel. If anyone were very close to the explosion, they would've heard it ASAP. But the people in these videos are miles away from the explosion. So what they heard was the sonic boom when it finally made it to them.

I hope I made enough sense there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Space.com article says the meteor was traveling in the wrong direction to be related to that asteroid that's supposed to be buzzing us soon:
http://www.space.com/19805-meteorite...-injuries.html
Oh yeah these two meteors aren't related in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Not a lot of warning for stuff like this...
Not that this has much to do with this event.. But if you knew that the entire population of earth was doomed because a meteor was heading our way, and nothing could be done, would you tell the general public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Google Tunguska Explosion, it happened before in Russia... in the same area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
This meteor was nothing like Tunguska. If it was, the casualties would be much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntgome1 View Post
Apparently this meteor was the size of a Dining room table.......
Incorrect. It was much larger.

Here is the largest fragment found. It's around 6 meters long. Which is 20 feet long.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #46
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #47
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mach 1 = speed of sound therefore Mach 92 would be 92 times the speed of sound.
I thought the same thing, but the speed conversion calculator I used said differently...Either way, it's damn fast. I think more accurate numbers have been found after I posted that.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #48
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Well the video is a little tricky here. The explosion was very far away from the ground. While sound is fast.. it still takes some time to travel. If anyone were very close to the explosion, they would've heard it ASAP. But the people in these videos are miles away from the explosion. So what they heard was the sonic boom when it finally made it to them.

I hope I made enough sense there.

Oh yeah these two meteors aren't related in any way.

Not that this has much to do with this event.. But if you knew that the entire population of earth was doomed because a meteor was heading our way, and nothing could be done, would you tell the general public?

This meteor was nothing like Tunguska. If it was, the casualties would be much larger.

Incorrect. It was much larger.

Here is the largest fragment found. It's around 6 meters long. Which is 20 feet long.

That's just the hole in the ice it left, not necessarily the size of the fragment. If they manage to dredge the thing up from the lake then we may have a better idea of how big this thing was. Destructive power of these things depends on speed (which was pretty considerable) and composition as well as size.

Either way though, I'm sure we can all agree that this should help raise awareness of exactly why need a proper space industry to monitor and move/take advantage of these things before they drop on us
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #49
Brokinarrow

Quote:
I thought the same thing, but the speed conversion calculator I used said differently...Either way, it's damn fast. I think more accurate numbers have been found after I posted that.
it's probably about right. Speed of sound at sea level is about 750ish miles per HOUR, this thing was doing 19 miles per SECOND. Damn fast either way
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Quote:
Video removed by user!?! WTF
I'm wondering the same thing... something fishy going on here now?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #51
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #52
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
That's just the hole in the ice it left, not necessarily the size of the fragment. If they manage to dredge the thing up from the lake then we may have a better idea of how big this thing was. Destructive power of these things depends on speed (which was pretty considerable) and composition as well as size.

Either way though, I'm sure we can all agree that this should help raise awareness of exactly why need a proper space industry to monitor and move/take advantage of these things before they drop on us
I know it's just a hole in the ice. But due to the speeds they knew it was traveling at and the orbit it was coming from, they can tell how big that fragment is without going down there to look at it yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #53
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
that's f*cking SICK! WOW
WORD for WORD my reaction LOL
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #54
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
I will look at this again when I can turn up the sound. There may have been more than one impact, but IDK.... The article mentions people reporting that the whole city smelled like "gunpowder". The Russian military, I am sure, intervened in some way.

It was very erie seeing that thing suddenly appear in the sky like that!
Is this true?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #55
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
For some reason when I saw them go into the back room I figured they were thinking "its the end of the world, might as well have fun".
glad I wasnt the only one who thought "those two are banging eachother"
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #56
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I know it's just a hole in the ice. But due to the speeds they knew it was traveling at and the orbit it was coming from, they can tell how big that fragment is without going down there to look at it yet.
Gotcha, well if it is indeed a 6 meter fragment, that thing must have been pretty solid.