Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
seeking input - best sounding LLT set-up with headers

Okay here we go again but me this time. I currently have a Borla axle back exhaust. At the time I bought it I had absolutely no intention of ever getting headers. Now I am reconsidering. It is about the only thing left for me to do to add HP along with the needed tune). I have heard many comments about the LLT sounding like crap with headers but then some guys seem happy with them. I would love to have the extra HP but not at the expense of sounding like absolute crap. I talked to Nick from ARH at the Fest & he said he is developing an H pipe system for the LLT that will make it sound better with their headers. Does anyone have ARH headers with the current set-up? If so how do you like it, how does it sound & what other mods do you have with it? Do you have high flow cats or cat delete? What other headers/set ups would anyone recommend for the best sounding/least raspy sound? What about my exhaust? Should I keep my Borla or try to sell it & go with someting else with the Headers?

Discuss.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
I believe catless is the raspy sound that many avoid, specially without the x-pipe. Not sure tho, haven't done much research on LTs.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
I've heard from many people that the Ark DTS with headers sounds the best.

I've heard especially that the Ark DTS with BBK headers is the best combo. There are tons of clips on youtube of how it sounds too.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Are you talking long tubes only? The DT shorties sound good with everything
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Ruby, talk to the guy who beat you at this years Fest. That was by far the best sounding LLT that I had heard to date. I don't remember his exact setup. He was running LT, CAI, Cat back and a SS X pipe.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

I guess that just goes to show how much opinions vary about sound. I heard some folks say his sounded terrible. I was too busy racing to think to listen for myself. I did look at his engine bay & under the hood he has basicly the same mods as me except the headers. His headers were BBK but I don't know what exhaust, if he had high flow cats or cat delete, x pipes or whatever? I'll have to try to look him up & find out.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItShut View Post
Are you talking long tubes only? The DT shorties sound good with everything
Yes, just long tubes only. Most everyone says the short tubes don't make any/much HP difference with the LLT.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
I've heard from many people that the Ark DTS with headers sounds the best.

I've heard especially that the Ark DTS with BBK headers is the best combo. There are tons of clips on youtube of how it sounds too.
I'll have to check that out when we get home. We are not supposed to do much youtube of facebook stuff here as it slows down our system,
Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ruby...not much time to type this out, but the V6 can definitely sound good with LT headers, but you have to be careful otherwise it can sound annoyingly raspy and loud.

Personally I think keeping your Borlas which are already a bit on the mild side and add in a magnaflow reasonated X muffler with OBX or BBK headers would be a good setup. OBX and BBK will provide more "rumble" in your exhaust note. ARH for some reason do not.

But here is the link to the BBK + ARK DTS. I love this setup. (not mine)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177228
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I would suggest doing BBK headers along with a Magnaflow resonated X pipe. It will still be pretty aggressive with the ATAK, but the Resonated X will take care of most if not ll of the rasp from the long tubes. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Ruby, talk to the guy who beat you at this years Fest. That was by far the best sounding LLT that I had heard to date. I don't remember his exact setup. He was running LT, CAI, Cat back and a SS X pipe.

That person is the COTW at the moment.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212792

His name is kjkjr27 (Kevin).

He has almost every bolt on possible too. Only thing left that I am aware of is gasket matching his manifold, and we spoke today and he should be doing that as I type this post.

I have to admit the best sounding V6 out there is of the video I am posting below, but I am a little bias on this subject.

I will say this thou, I get a ton of compliments on how GREAT mine sounds.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Keep your Borla's on Ruby til after you install header's with hi-flo cats (stock cats are not an option with long tubes).

Don't go catless even if you can get away with it, I don't believe you'd like it.
I loved my exhaust with JBA shorts (and I believe you get nearly as much benefit from short as long tubes provided you use hi-flo's, I'm running the same IPF tune as the LT guys)) Solo HFC's and the Borla 11776.

The super charger melted my Solo's so I'm running catless right now and even with the addition of a Magnaflow res-X, it sounds too "boy racer" for me.

Be careful- chasing the holy Horsepower can take some of the joy out of your ride if you're not careful!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
RubyCamaro
Jan

Lots of good input to consider. Keep the thoughts coming.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
I believe catless is the raspy sound that many avoid, specially without the x-pipe. Not sure tho, haven't done much research on LTs.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
OBX and BBK will provide more "rumble" in your exhaust note. ARH for some reason do not.
That could be due to several things. The headers not having a merge spike will result in turbulence that creates more of a rumble but doesn't make as much power. Or running an H-pipe versus an X-pipe.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote