Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which of the following TCS options do you use when you need more speed/power?
You Prefer Competitive Mode(hitting the TCS button twice) 42 46.15%
You Prefer Disabling TC completely (hitting the TCS button once) 49 53.85%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Sooo... I have to call shenanigans on whoever wrote this post. Youre telling me you hit the button once and went sideways thru an intersection? Take your car back to the dealer immediately because you have serious issues with your stabilitrac not functioning properly... Or you are
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
proj3ktpat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Pressing the button once = traction control off, but stabilitrac remains in full effect. This allows your tires to spin all they want in a straight line, but if your car starts to turn sideways stabilitrac will kick in and straighten you out. You will see just the traction control light stay lit on your gauge cluster.

Pressing the button twice = "competitive mode" In this mode both traction control and stabilitrac are still active, just in a more limited state. It allows for more wheelspin, and for you to get more sideways than when in normal mode, but if you get a little too squirly it will kick in. Also if you have a manual this is the mode that launch control is in. You will see just the stabilitrac light stay lit on your gauge cluster.

Hold the button for 7 seconds- This mode will turn both traction control and stabilitrac all the way off. In this mode they will never interfere with your driving, even if you completely lose control. Both the traction control and stabilitrac lights will be lit on your gauge cluster.
proj3ktpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
This is the first I'm hearing of "competitive mode." Is this standard across all models or an SS feature?

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl View Post
This is the first I'm hearing of "competitive mode." Is this standard across all models or an SS feature?
All models....
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
kansasbudd

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by proj3ktpat View Post
Pressing the button once = traction control off, but stabilitrac remains in full effect. This allows your tires to spin all they want in a straight line, but if your car starts to turn sideways stabilitrac will kick in and straighten you out. You will see just the traction control light stay lit on your gauge cluster.

Pressing the button twice = "competitive mode" In this mode both traction control and stabilitrac are still active, just in a more limited state. It allows for more wheelspin, and for you to get more sideways than when in normal mode, but if you get a little too squirly it will kick in. Also if you have a manual this is the mode that launch control is in. You will see just the stabilitrac light stay lit on your gauge cluster.

Hold the button for 7 seconds- This mode will turn both traction control and stabilitrac all the way off. In this mode they will never interfere with your driving, even if you completely lose control. Both the traction control and stabilitrac lights will be lit on your gauge cluster.
This is accurate. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to test (2011 2SS/RS convertible manual) at the track...autocross, that is. I had 4 runs.
Run #1: all disabled, 35 sec. The back end was all over the place, but a lot of fun.
Run #2: competitive mode, 34 sec. Limited rear-end slip, engine limited rpms when encountering rear-wheel spin, but not obnoxiously.
Run #3: competitive mode again, 32 sec. more confidence with track.
Run #4: all disabled again to test my "real-world non-computer controlled skills"= 32 sec. This was the most enjoyable as I had to feather the gas to control the car vs just slam on gas and let the computer retard the back end.
A couple comparisons: A friend had an '08 Magnun SRT-8 supercharged (650 hp) it's about 300 lbs heavier than my vert, his best time was 35 sec. I'd say we have similar above average skills. There was also a supercharged '10 Mustang - his best was 34 sec. Also, a Honda S2000, seemed stock, 30 sec. A light, nimble car that never broke traction.
Anyway, great fun, a first for me, was able to run the car for 30 seconds all at 4,000 to 6,000 rpms.
kansasbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
i dont know about the 2012 and older cars , but in my 13 i hit the button once and the T/c light comes on, i hit and hold the button for 7 sec or so and the stability light comes on. if im back to normal and i hit the button 2x no lights comes on, the t/c light comes on just after i press the button the first time but as soon as i hit it again it turns off. how do i put it in competitive mode? and what light should i be seeing on my dash or HUD?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Can we talk about traction control for a second? Does traction control really adjust the power going to the tires? This thing is not all wheel drive. So it can only adjust power to the rear tires.... Correct? And I kinda doubt that even happens.

Here's my experience with traction control - tiny bit of tire spin is anticipated by the computer = decrease in engine rpms = crappy take off. I hate traction control. It sucks watching my tachometer go down when I manually put the needle where I want it.

But I'm no pro driver. Lots of you guys are, so solid information on traction control would rock.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
All models....
False the LT/LS don't have the "Competitive Mode."
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I do think I can do a burnout hitting the button once, or hitting it twice, holding it down for 8 or 10 seconds or w/e allows me to spin the tires for as long as I want.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
False the LT/LS don't have the "Competitive Mode."
cool, that answer my question
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Good god who revived this DOA post...the guy has a v-8 automatic he does not have Launch control....(stabilitrac competitive mode), he has sport mode or manual shift and the thing is he can not rev his engine up and dump the clutch with a automatic..........he could go from neutral to drive suddenly while reving..........and yes you have to hold the button down for 7 seconds to disengage all nannies.
Hitting the button twice in a manual gives you stabilitrac competitive mode for launch control where you can rev to over 4 G and then take off in first for a race track. This guys dealer was wrong, I am sure after two years he knows it now..........He was a newbie who thought having stabilitrac off by hitting the button twice was slower than when he had just traction control off...what a friggin clown, he thought it was faster as he made his tires slip.........
He never had competitive mode and it is not on a automatic, and he could not get more power from hitting the buttons except a very slight gain from torque management as he now could loose traction........I know I used to own a ss automatic 2011..........
AND in competitive mode with a manual as I have now stabillitrac can come in to save you butt if your going sideways so I understand........Like in loosing traction due to slick oil cover drag race lanes and you start going south while trying to drive north.........

Just thought I would set something straight from a old timers point of reality.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
FanDamNCSU

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS - L99
Competitive Mode does exist on the Auto's. However, it doesn't offer launch control within that mode.

Also, an interesting observation with the L99 Competitive Mode. If you try power braking while in that mode, revs are limited to 1k RPM - Launching at 1k is slow. To me, I feel like I can launch faster with just TC off or both TC and ST off (No Rev limits in these modes at launch).
FanDamNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Well beans...lol...I think I've only heard one or two posts that to me are correct....

One tap...T/C off...light will come on dash...

Hold for seven seconds or until t/c and stabilitrak lights come on..."nannies are off"

Double-tap, push twice quickly puts car in "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode"...shown on DIC...

Launch control is a feature within competitive mode and must have several things in place to work properly...be in competitive mode, wheels pointed straight, in first gear, full throttle, release clutch smoothly, maintain full throttle...Once you shift out of first gear, launch control is done...

Automatics also have launch control, with a few wrinkles....but it is not the same as using paddle shifters or whatever...

t/c off (one tap) still leaves Stabilitrak on...

Comp Mode (Not Launch Control) changes the parameters that engage t/c and stabilitrak for more spirited driving/ road coarses...

t/c and stabilitrak off is suicide on the street....I don't recommend it...lol...

P.S. The "poll" in my opinion, is mis-leading, un-informed and dangerous...just sayin'...

Last edited by 90503; 06-26-2013 at 11:17 PM.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
ive tried them all....with everything off..i can do a nice burnout, car stays fairly straight and predictable...just like the old days...I don't punch the gas going around corners with everything off that often. I think the car handles well
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote