Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #197
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genob4c View Post
I respectfully disagree. The Goodyear bulletin clearly states that doing so can cause these tires to crack. It didn't say they wouldn't crack if you drive it like a granny. Besides, this car has the kind of torque that it can get away from you quickly, even on a dry cold piece of pavement.

I agree with you on the old bias ply tires. People today don't realize what a leap in performance it was when steel belted radials came about.
...this is all common sense....BTW there is nothing from the dealer or in the owners manual that details the C5 sticky tire manufacturers caution about the tires. So, if common sense were not enough, we have a post spelling out the hazzards and cautions here only on C5. Not from mainstream GM/Chevy to the consumer. Emptor caveat. So, the unknowing will drive the car in colder weather and slide like on ice, or off the road thinking it will keep traction. And for those, they really don't belong owning the car anyway.....
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #198
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Hello All,

I am suppose to be taking delivery of my ZL1 vert on Weds. I am concerned about driving it in these conditions (currently low to mid 30's during the day and upper 20's at night). I currently drive a 97 z28 vert. It use to have summer only tires on it (I think they were Bridgestone pole position tires) and during the summer months the car handled great! This was and still is my daily driver,however during the winter they would get rock hard. It was very obvious how hard they were by the ride. They also did not have the same grip level. I also used them when it snowed and that did suck but still made it to work when I really needed to be there.

I am experienced enough to know how this car is going to handle in these cold temps and I am prepared to drive it intelligently (granny style) and respectfully. But I would like to know what you guys have experienced, for those who are driving them in these conditions? I did see a ZL1 that had a front tire with what looked like a tear on the side wall that was about 1-1/2 inches long about 4 weeks ago. I certainly don't want that to happen either.Now the ZL1 vert will not be driven in the SNOW, but occasionally I will drive it during the next 12 weeks during the day only. Next winter I will buy a set of SS wheels if I see that driving the car in the winter will damage the integrity of the tires. Thanks for any info.

Z28-Cam
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #199
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
Hello All,

I am suppose to be taking delivery of my ZL1 vert on Weds. I am concerned about driving it in these conditions (currently low to mid 30's during the day and upper 20's at night). I currently drive a 97 z28 vert. It use to have summer only tires on it (I think they were Bridgestone pole position tires) and during the summer months the car handled great! This was and still is my daily driver,however during the winter they would get rock hard. It was very obvious how hard they were by the ride. They also did not have the same grip level. I also used them when it snowed and that did suck but still made it to work when I really needed to be there.

I am experienced enough to know how this car is going to handle in these cold temps and I am prepared to drive it intelligently (granny style) and respectfully. But I would like to know what you guys have experienced, for those who are driving them in these conditions? I did see a ZL1 that had a front tire with what looked like a tear on the side wall that was about 1-1/2 inches long about 4 weeks ago. I certainly don't want that to happen either.Now the ZL1 vert will not be driven in the SNOW, but occasionally I will drive it during the next 12 weeks during the day only. Next winter I will buy a set of SS wheels if I see that driving the car in the winter will damage the integrity of the tires. Thanks for any info.

Z28-Cam
So far, for me, it's just been extra slippery. I have to be careful on takeoff and in corners, to the point of being even gentler than I would with the family sedan. It just feels loose. Hasn't caused any problems, though. You just have to aware of it. As a MD driver, you should be fine.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #200
z28-conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
So far, for me, it's just been extra slippery. I have to be careful on takeoff and in corners, to the point of being even gentler than I would with the family sedan. It just feels loose. Hasn't caused any problems, though. You just have to aware of it. As a MD driver, you should be fine.
Cool Thanks! Thats the plan.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #201
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I put over 1000 miles on my 1LE in Michigan, got it on November 16th of 2012. 90% of my driving is usually at nights after work or when the wife and kids are tired and in bed (yes, I did sneak out at 1am a few times while the streets are open and quiet). After 700 miles I drove the car like I stole it, in many cases during 30 degree weather. I've hit many 360 degree freeway on/off ramps pushing the car hard and never ran into issues. The car had more grip than any other car I drove during similar conditions, you just have to put some heat into them and do slowly, not with a burn out. Yes, the tires loose grip when I floor it but let's be honest, this is a V8 making over 400 ft/lbs.

I don't have any cracking issues on my tires, I just make sure to take it easy on the car when I take it out my garage for 15-20 minutes to make sure the tires get up to heat slowly.

Now she rests in the garage, leaving me very curious on how much grip it has once the cars are really up to heat in normal summer conditions. My jaw is still on the floor from the lateral grip in the cold (I was stuck to the door holding on for dear life).
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #202
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
^....any questions?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #203
Lumino1LE
Rally Yellow 2SS/RS/SR

Drives: Born 11/12 2012 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I put over 1000 miles on my 1LE in Michigan, got it on November 16th of 2012. 90% of my driving is usually at nights after work or when the wife and kids are tired and in bed (yes, I did sneak out at 1am a few times while the streets are open and quiet). After 700 miles I drove the car like I stole it, in many cases during 30 degree weather. I've hit many 360 degree freeway on/off ramps pushing the car hard and never ran into issues. The car had more grip than any other car I drove during similar conditions, you just have to put some heat into them and do slowly, not with a burn out. Yes, the tires loose grip when I floor it but let's be honest, this is a V8 making over 400 ft/lbs.

I don't have any cracking issues on my tires, I just make sure to take it easy on the car when I take it out my garage for 15-20 minutes to make sure the tires get up to heat slowly.

Now she rests in the garage, leaving me very curious on how much grip it has once the cars are really up to heat in normal summer conditions. My jaw is still on the floor from the lateral grip in the cold (I was stuck to the door holding on for dear life).
'Nuff said!
Lumino1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #204
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
I hit the street this morning at 35 degrees. Felt like a covered wagon on a cobblestone road. It had been sitting for 3 days due to rain. It was 30 each night and up to 40-45 during the day it was under the carport, not in the garage, and the winds were 20-30 mph. I'd swear I had flat spots on all four tires.
I was freakin' out due to this thread while waiting for my 1LE because I knew it will come during cold days in Michigan. You saw my previous post on the driving experience but as far as flat spots, I got nervous too.

So I garaged my car towards end of November, got the pressure on tires up only and let it sit for two weeks, car didn't move. Hit a 37 degree night during a weekend, no salt on roads, didn't snow yet....... damit, cover came off and I went out beating on the car. Looked for flat spots or any vibrations during initial warm up, nothing.

Garaged the car that night again with 40psi tire pressures. Mid December rolls around, a 38ish degree DAY, cover comes off (I just can't resist) take the car to work during 33deg weather, no vibrations or flat spots. Did some "higher" speed driving that day too on the freeway and no vibrations. Garaged the car again that night with 40psi in tires again. It's been sitting like that for a few weeks now, I'll probably move it end of this week and put some cardboard under it for that peace of mind but from my experience so far I had no issues with flat spots on hard, cold concrete after a few weeks.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on this forum posted pictures of cracked tires on the ZL1/1LE GY's other than the bulletin?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #205
SlugWound

Drives: Chevrolet's
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
Hello All,

Z28-Cam
What area of MD are you running? I live in the southern area. Congrats on your ride.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #206
Genob4c

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I think we'll learn alot this winter. I don't think too many ZL1's have experienced January and February before now. For me, it's a safety issue. I will drive this car in cold weather, not in wet or icy conditions, but certainly below 40 deg. And to suggest that I shouldn't own this car because of that is just plain stupid. I'll certainly be careful, and when it warms up, I'll enjoy taking it closer to the edge.

I'll enjoy my all-season Conti Extreme Contacts, and a forum pal will get full use of a fresh set of track ready F1s thanks to me. Everybody will be happy. To each his own. Drive and enjoy these fabulous cars.

Geno

Former:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue
2008 Vette - CRT
2011 Camaro Pace Car
Genob4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #207
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genob4c View Post
I think we'll learn alot this winter. I don't think too many ZL1's have experienced January and February before now. For me, it's a safety issue. I will drive this car in cold weather, not in wet or icy conditions, but certainly below 40 deg. And to suggest that I shouldn't own this car because of that is just plain stupid. I'll certainly be careful, and when it warms up, I'll enjoy taking it closer to the edge.

I'll enjoy my all-season Conti Extreme Contacts, and a forum pal will get full use of a fresh set of track ready F1s thanks to me. Everybody will be happy. To each his own. Drive and enjoy these fabulous cars.

Geno
I looked online and didn't see the same fitment as stock ZL1. Which sizes did you go with?

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #208
z28-conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugWound View Post
What area of MD are you running? I live in the southern area. Congrats on your ride.
Thanks for the Congrats! Im in the Towson area.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #209
z28-conv

Thanks you guys for the "Hands on " experiences with these cars in the cold climate areas. I feel a little more comfortable now.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #210
Genob4c

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
I looked online and didn't see the same fitment as stock ZL1. Which sizes did you go with?
315/35/ZR20 Rear
275/35/ZR20 Front

Others on the forum have been running these sizes also with no issues. It's a very slight change in diameter. Can't tell any speedo change, but when the weather improves, I'll chack it against a gps.

Geno

Former:
2013 ZL1 Vert – Crystal Red
1978 Corvette Pace Car
1969 Pace Car
1969 Z/28 – Cortez Silver, 1974 LT/Z28 Blue
1974 Z28 Dark Green , 1976 Camaro Type LT – Black
1980 Z28 – Charcoal, 1981 Z28 – Dark Blue
1981 Z28 – Claret, 1982 Pace Car
1986 IROC – Red, 1993 Z28 – Red
1996 Z28 vert, 1998 Z28 Dk Blue
2002 B4C 2004 Vette – LeMans Blue