Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Kruegmeister

Drives: 12 Camaro 2SS/RS, 02 Vette, 68 Vett
Winter Tires - Enkei Falcon & Bridgestone Blizzak

I just got a new set of wheels and tires for winter on my 2SS/RS
I got the Same Staggered Size that the Car Came with.
Not as Nice as the Originals, but for Winter they look pretty nice.
The Rims are the Enkei Falcon Silver Part# 76 4562851240HS
Bridgetsonte Blizzak Tires
20" Front: 245/45-20
20" Rear: 275/40-20

UPDATE after getting Snow:
Finally got some good Snow in Michigan after getting the Blizzaks.
Compared to my Stock Pirellis These things are a Million Times Better in the Snow.
In fact my Camaro SS is better in the Snot than my Wife's Ford Edge!
Granted if it Gets Deep it will just be a Ground Clearance Issue.
But these made a Night and Day Difference in the Snow.

Here is how they look on the Car

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Kruegmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
When you get a chance how about a report on how good it is in the snow. I have a lot of money tied up in a winter car and place to store off season. I am not worried about rear drive as much as the tire width and lack of rear weight.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Kruegmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
When you get a chance how about a report on how good it is in the snow. I have a lot of money tied up in a winter car and place to store off season. I am not worried about rear drive as much as the tire width and lack of rear weight.
Will do, might have snow tomorrow.
Dry pavement winter driving was good.
The Pirelli's weren't very good in deeper snow, but a light dusting I could manage. Hopefully these are better. I was in a 2008 Mutang previously but the tires were much thinner and they were all season tires as well, so the rear wheel drive I have plenty of experience with.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Kruegmeister

Finally got some good Snow in Michigan after getting the Blizzaks.
Compared to my Stock Pirellis These things are a Million Times Better in the Snow.
In fact my Camaro SS is better in the Snot than my Wife's Ford Edge!
Granted if it Gets Deep it will just be a Ground Clearance Issue.
But these made a Night and Day Difference in the Snow.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
biggvan

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Victory Red
I am in Pittsburgh and run blizzaks dm-v1 during the winter. They are 245-50-20 all the way around. This is my second winter on these tires and they are well worth every penny. I drive 5 days a week to cleveland and back again...so I put 1500 miles a week on them and during snows (with 2 45 pound weight plates in my trunk) I am by far the fastest vehicle on the road. They are extremely stable even at highway speeds in snow, slush and ice. I often run into the SUV driver who believes that their awd and all season tires bestow their vehicle with magical powers...well lets just say that after what has to be very frightening fishtailing on their part ,they learn not to try to keep up with me on the highway.
Besides the fact that I am putting a godawful amount of miles on my car, I feel no need for a winter car. In the city (and Pittsburgh is very hilly) I have never gotten stuck or even really had a challenge ..well until now. The rear tires are about halfway worn now and there is a major difference in snow traction because the special multicell compound only runs through the first half of the tread. I can definitely tell the difference in traction....snow is still easily managed but ice is MUCH more challenging now.
On dry roads the tire does squirm quite a bit and dry braking and cornering is much worse than your summer tires...there is a bit of a learning curve involved and your car may invoke stability control if you enter a corner a little too hard because it perceives the sidewall roll as the car beginning to yaw. The first time that happened to me, the car decided to soften my turn angle to prevent me from spinning ( I was not even close to any sort of instability, it was all sidewall squirm)and it almost put me into the wall by stopping me from holding my turning line)After a few days the car learned and that stopped.
If you drive like you have some sense, you will find that the tire is comfortable and the snow/ice traction is AMAZING. I also believe that if you do normal driving (whatever that is) are not putting 1500 miles a week on them, and swap them promptly when winter ends, the blizzaks will probably last 4 seasons or more.
biggvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzak, blizzaks, winter tires