Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #57
69LM1

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS
Here's a clip of the sputtering

Rich
69LM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #58
69LM1

Did have some fun though...

I did get to drive a Z06 on the track! So, that was cooool. The new vettes are really, really nice. We went to the museum and there were eight or so people there to pick up their new vettes from the plant around the corner.

Crushed Anniv Vette:

Sinkhole being fixed:

Rich
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #59
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69LM1 View Post
Here's a clip of the sputtering

Rich
Yeah man you need a serious tune update. Sounds like you going lean! Or maybe water on your filter then misting the MAF because it looks wet out there.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #60
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
I am very interested in this, the issues and how they get resolved. I am pretty certain that in the next 24 months a bonus check will get burnt on something like what you have done. I have already started a file for notes.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #61
69LM1

The thing is, while I was at the track the Holley rep stopped by and we all got to talking.

Turns out Holley is a sponsor of the Corvette track, as well as a sponsor of Tin Soldier Racing (Ron and his son Jason), and the rep starts to get pumped about the whole father son over four generation thing and makes some calls and they want to talk about and set up a photo op on all four Camaros spanning several generations. All starting with Ron and the fact that he worked for GM in the Norwood plant building Camaros.

"If" it all comes together, they want to do an photo op on each Camaro and what makes it a "Tin Soldier".

This could be great press for IPS and Fabberge..... but I sure as heck don't want to drive any mag rag guys around in the Gen5 right now, although they are talking after the new year.

Point is you never know when your product may get exposure.

Rich
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #62
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
This sucks, get a retune asap. First sign to stay away is they don't tune their own shop car ( Patrick Barnhill does)
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #63
V6Pwr

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6
Rich,

I hope everything is going well. I just got back from Ohio getting my car tuned with Brian (Makarov Division) and Eric Sgambellone (Cover Tuning Dynamic) and one thing that they found out while working on my car is that the Plugs (NGK Iridium) will cause sputtering unless they get Gap to .24. Those plugs come Gap .40 from the factory and even thou it says not to Gap them if you don't do it the problem on your car will continue. I hope this help
V6Pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #64
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pwr View Post
Rich,

I hope everything is going well. I just got back from Ohio getting my car tuned with Brian (Makarov Division) and Eric Sgambellone (Cover Tuning Dynamic) and one thing that they found out while working on my car is that the Plugs (NGK Iridium) will cause sputtering unless they get Gap to .24. Those plugs come Gap .40 from the factory and even thou it says not to Gap them if you don't do it the problem on your car will continue. I hope this help
Seems a little drastic. I found .030 to .032 worked well up to about 20 psi.

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 12-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #65
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pwr View Post
Rich,

You don't need the expensive NGK plugs to get the power you have for future reference. The stock plugs work good gapped at. 32. I've got 501rwhp at this gap with no problems. I have a write up that's like a almost 2 years old about my finds with the NGK not being worth the cost. After switching off the NGK's I've been running excellent across the board.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #66
69LM1

I let them talk me into the NGK's after they started having issues, I will def check the gap settings. Thanks.

Jeff is supposed to get back to me on the wholesale price on an HP Tuner cable, and I have had a very quick PM with Stas on getting help with a retune.

Not sure if it is the elevation difference in New Orleans or the Temp or the Humdity, but the car runs worse than ever at home. I've pretty much had my Son park it until we can figure this out.

Thanks Guys,
Rich
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #67
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
I let them talk me into the NGK's after they started having issues, I will def check the gap settings. Thanks.

Jeff is supposed to get back to me on the wholesale price on an HP Tuner cable, and I have had a very quick PM with Stas on getting help with a retune.

Not sure if it is the elevation difference in New Orleans or the Temp or the Humdity, but the car runs worse than ever at home. I've pretty much had my Son park it until we can figure this out.

Thanks Guys,
Rich
It is tuned at some boost level, so it is probably rich if you turned the boost contoller all the way down. Do you have a wideband and afr gauge? If so, what is the afr at wot?

The sputtering at high rpms could be be many things. Did you have the boost back up at the track?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #68
69LM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
It is tuned at some boost level, so it is probably rich if you turned the boost contoller all the way down. Do you have a wideband and afr gauge? If so, what is the afr at wot?

The sputtering at high rpms could be be many things. Did you have the boost back up at the track?

Yes, right now I have the boost controller set to off. After reading this I turned it back on and set it for "a" which is 9lbs of boost and it runs better for daily driving, but back to performance issues when I step into it.

At the track, in the vid, the boost controller was set to "b", which I *think* I remember being set to 12.5lbs boost, and I have the AEM air/fuel gauge. Jarrod (the IPS tech) said that under full throttle, it should stay in the 11.5 a/f range.

At the corvette track, when you hear the sputtering, wot, it was showing mostly low 10's and some flat 10's (not sure how low it goes).

Thanks for the input!

-Rich
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #69
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Yes, right now I have the boost controller set to off. After reading this I turned it back on and set it for "a" which is 9lbs of boost and it runs better for daily driving, but back to performance issues when I step into it.

At the track, in the vid, the boost controller was set to "b", which I *think* I remember being set to 12.5lbs boost, and I have the AEM air/fuel gauge. Jarrod (the IPS tech) said that under full throttle, it should stay in the 11.5 a/f range.

At the corvette track, when you hear the sputtering, wot, it was showing mostly low 10's and some flat 10's (not sure how low it goes).

Thanks for the input!

-Rich
10s are really rich and will lead to some lost power. I would say you need to be somewhere around 11.5 to 12.0 at WOT. You need to tweak the tune to find out what your car likes. Mine liked it leaner with stock compression but I had to fatten it up when I went to 10:1 CR.

The sputtering is probably because of the plug gap. A 0.030 to 0.032 gap on the stock plugs work well for me (and others) at the kind of boost you are running. You may want to go one step colder on the plugs just to be safe.